Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

Try putting a few flat washers between drum and tool.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:

I tried that too, but no difference. The arm is cast wrong or something, will likely buy another brand
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

mascrappo wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

I tried that too, but no difference. The arm is cast wrong or something, will likely buy another brand

If the tool is defective Cip1 HAS to take it back or contact Visa/PayPal and dispute the charge.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

I’ll say it again: you have the tool turned around backwards—into the position for the flywheel nut. Remove the top part of the tool—the geared part that is held with a cotter pin. Stick this geared part in from the other side of the tool. Reinstall the cotter. Doing this will bring the geared wheel closer to the hub (and your tool’s gear plate).

Have you attempted to switch the geared wheel to the opposite end, yet?

The tool was made for two different applications. One is for the flywheel gland nut, the other is for your rear drums. The hex part of the tool has two ends, right? One end is shorter—in relation to the arm—than the other end, which is longer. The shorter hex end is for removing drums.

Also, be sure you have the gear plate attached properly to the drum. Be sure the beveled lug holes of the tool are visible, like the beveled lug holes of a wheel.

If, after switching these parts around, you continue to have a problem, then you have bought a funky tool. But I think your issue is simply not understanding the two-fold purpose of the tool, and how it must be adjusted for each job.

Edit: I just went to Cipi1’s site. They sell a 6 and 12 volt Torquemeister with two separate geared shafts (this one is cheaper for some weird reason). They also sell a Torquemeister for 12 volt systems, only (this one is two dollars cheaper). If you scroll down to the description part of their ad—for either one of these tool—they clearly instruct you to switch the geared shaft around, according to whether you’re loosening a flywheel nut, or a drum nut.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I’ll say it again: you have the tool turned around backwards—into the position for the flywheel nut. Remove the top part of the tool—the geared part that is held with a cotter pin. Stick this geared part in from the other side of the tool. Reinstall the cotter. Doing this will bring the geared wheel closer to the hub (and your tool’s gear plate).

Have you attempted to switch the geared wheel to the opposite end, yet?

The tool was made for two different applications. One is for the flywheel gland nut, the other is for your rear drums. The hex part of the tool has two ends, right? One end is shorter—in relation to the arm—than the other end, which is longer. The shorter hex end is for removing drums.

Also, be sure you have the gear plate attached properly to the drum. Be sure the beveled lug holes of the tool are visible, like the beveled lug holes of a wheel.

If, after switching these parts around, you continue to have a problem, then you have bought a funky tool. But I think your issue is simply not understanding the two-fold purpose of the tool, and how it must be adjusted for each job.

Edit: I just went to Cipi1’s site. They sell a 6 and 12 volt Torquemeister with two separate geared shafts (this one is cheaper for some weird reason). They also sell a Torquemeister for 12 volt systems, only (this one is two dollars cheaper). If you scroll down to the description part of their ad—for either one of these tool—they clearly instruct you to switch the geared shaft around, according to whether you’re loosening a flywheel nut, or a drum nut.

Tim

God bless you Tim for trying to take care of idiots like me. BUT, I found the problem after I took another look at it just now. I had it setup correctly, but take a close look at these pics and see the alignment problem with your own eyes. This explains the mesh depth problem, tool is funky as you said!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

Send those pic.s to Cip1 and tell them to send a new one or refund. Plus the lower pic. shows a great Fracture point for the socket to fail.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

mascrappo - I just went out and took my combination square to my new EMPI Torque Tool, just as you did in your photos. Mine is significantly straighter than yours.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

[quote="Cusser"]mascrappo - I just went out and took my combination square to my new EMPI Torque Tool, just as you did in your photos. Mine is significantly straighter than yours.

Thanks Cusser, you and Tim always to the rescue. Yes, yours is what it should be. Notice the gear head on mine is bent down due to the curved arm? This explains why mine won't mesh.

I zoomed in on various pics on web of this tool and all are straight.

I have contacted CIP and emailed pics.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

edited: I was looking at it ass backwards. You have the geared shaft on properly for the rear nut. Embarassed

The crack in the casting is also troublesome, though, but that may not be a true crack.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
edited: I was looking at it ass backwards. You have the geared shaft on properly for the rear nut. Embarassed

The crack in the casting is also troublesome, though, but that may not be a true crack.

Tim

Tim it's a casting flaw, just like it being crooked...Thanks again for all the help my friends
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

mascrappo wrote:
Tim informed me the proper torque on the later CV cars brake drum nut is 253 ft. pounds; Tim has never steered me wrong on the old 73 Super. When did the orange VW service manual go wrong??? The blue VW book for older models shows 253 ft. pounds, my orange book is listed 217pds, which is what I did mistakenly... Any thoughts?

30 kgm (217 lb ft) was for the early plain “castle” axle nuts. When VW introduced the flanged nut, the torque value was increased to 35 kgm (253 lb ft). Most suppliers only sell the later flanged nut. I use the torque tool and go for 270 lb ft (30 lb ft rachet setting).

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

New torque tool arrived today, notice how bent the first one arrived compared to new? This new tool looks like a different casting. I have not tried it yet due to cold weather, but looks promising. CIP1 took almost a month, but Tim sent me a new one! Will let you know how it works.[/img]
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

New torque tool works as it should, helps to cast straight I suppose. What a neat invention
cajun_sun_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear drum nut torque on CV shaft models Reply with quote

Gents,
I hate to reopen this but just to confirm;

1974 Super Beetles require 253ft lbs NOT 217 ft lbs, Correct?

seems to be a LOT of confusion on the web, thanks!
#cajunhotrodder on insta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: