Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle center mount Difficulties
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aearon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

Hello All

I got one of the nice Mendeola center mount supports for my tranny. Problem I am having is It bolts on to the studs that hold on to the nose cone and once I get it on I cant get several of the nuts to start. Not enough thread left to lock them down. The studs look like all thread. Am I asking for trouble trying to back those studs out a turn or 2 so I can get the nuts started? Otherwise anyone have any good ideas.

Thanks
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

Use the correct studs

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

Most good hardware stores should have a selection of different length studs.

Get a set with longer threads on one side and replace one at a time. Just double nut the original and turn it out.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

You spent good money, don't cheap out now.

mcmscott wrote:
Use the correct studs

^^^^^^
What he said.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aearon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

Happy to. Smile So the recommendation is to pull the studs that came on it and get some that are a hair longer. Seems like a fair thing to do Smile

Thanks
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This guy sells mid mounts with the correct hardware Very Happy

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

On a personal project last Summer I got some full thread longer 8 x 1.25 bolts from Belmetric, and simply cut the heads off them to use as studs. Double nut the factory studs, and tap on the ends a little like you were driving a nail, and they should unscrew fairly easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
On a personal project last Summer I got some full thread longer 8 x 1.25 bolts from Belmetric, and simply cut the heads off them to use as studs. Double nut the factory studs, and tap on the ends a little like you were driving a nail, and they should unscrew fairly easily.

I bought full thread 8mm x 1.25mm bolts at local Ace Hardware last year, used on the alternator adjust on my 1998 Frontier. I think in the drawers there (and don't get me started on drawers !!!).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This guy sells mid mounts with the correct hardware Very Happy

That's a pretty nice mid-mount.
Do you have any idea what the guy that makes those want's for one? LOL!
I might need to order one from your guy. Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I bought full thread 8mm x 1.25mm bolts at local Ace Hardware last year, used on the alternator adjust on my 1998 Frontier. I think in the drawers there (and don't get me started on drawers !!!).

Yeah, everyone around me had the longer bolts with only the 20mm, or so worth of thread, and the rest shank.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

Since hardware stores mainly sell decorations now, so you may have to buy and stock your own hardware.
Try Bell Metric for a good selection.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

I would try to use original VW studs if you can...

Its hard to match the quality of the material.

If you can post the new length that you need, maybe old engine case studs or other hardware can be determined.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

Type 5 Joe wrote:

Ok, I suppose only furniture and fences use grade 5.8 anymore, but
What is the problem with using stronger hardware?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Type 5 Joe wrote:

Ok, I suppose only furniture and fences use grade 5.8 anymore, but
What is the problem with using stronger hardware?

Since VW never really intended those studs to be used as a mount, I actually would go with stronger hardware. I wound the thread through the case enough to put a nut on it, so there are nuts on each side of the case, and gear carrier.

Everything VW is purpose length for its application, so if you want more than 20mm worth of thread on a stud that’s longer than 50mm, I don’t think you’re going to find it.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

I used exhaust studs off of a ford 5.4 got a stock of them in my tool box

brad
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle center mount Difficulties Reply with quote

ARP has 8M X 1.25 studs

https://arpcatalog.com/71/#zoom=z

Olli

Another selection of 8M studs;
https://www.belmetric.com/m8x125-coarse-thread-c-9_71_1840/?zenid=ef3r4uldvirjvlgadunk44l6q3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: