Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing armrests in new panels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

I've gotta punch some holes in my new panels for arm rests. Before I go and start this process, I figured I'd search the forums first. Not seeing this covered!

What's the preferred method to install these? Measure from bulkhead to mount and then from top to mount? Are these different per bus (like the front door panels)? Use a drill or fabricate a hole press from pipe to punch through? I'm guessing a drill is fine since these dont move.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

You mean the 3 armrests in the cargo area, right?

I've never done it but I assume drilling a hole is fine.

It seems better to me to ask for measurements off some other panels, easier that way.

The long panel is different for innie and outie vents but I don't know if that affects the location of the arm rest holes.
Anyone know?

I have an extra long panel for my '63 (innie vents) sitting in my garage that I could measure though.

What year Bus do you have?

Long Panel example with 2 arm rests from Skim:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

I'd use a large piece of cardboard that relatively duplicates and slightly over sizes the panel targets- only a couple feet wide. Transfer measurements of the welded tab hanger to your cardboard sheet and on spots of painters tape along the sill - above the panels and below the windows. Hold the cardboard template over the armrest hangers so you can zero in a little on where they are. Mount your armrest(s) to the cardboard- then hang them over the mounting hangers. This allows you a little wiggle room to move the cardboard around- to get a great neutral position for marking and measuring. With reference marks on the top and bottom positions on the cardboard- you can more easily transfer those marks to the back of your new panels. It is harder since the holes in the panels do not guarantee a perfect "drop" of those armrest brackets in to their receiving tabs- that's why I like taking time. You don't want the panel to stop going down over the hangers before it makes it to the floor.

I'm just a tad OCD about things like this- I'll make cardboard templates nearly fullsize- transfer my first template measurements to those next- THEN involve the final panels when I'm darn good and ready. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
You mean the 3 armrests in the cargo area, right?

I've never done it but I assume drilling a hole is fine.

It seems better to me to ask for measurements off some other panels, easier that way.

The long panel is different for innie and outie vents but I don't know if that affects the location of the arm rest holes.
Anyone know?

I have an extra long panel for my '63 (innie vents) sitting in my garage that I could measure though.

What year Bus do you have?

Long Panel example with 2 arm rests from Skim:

Yep! Those 3! This one is a 67.

I think I might have access to an old long panel. I'll find out tomorrow and if I do, I'll see if the holes match up (dry fitting in the old one). If they do, I'll use as a template.

hitest wrote:
I'm just a tad OCD about things like this

Me too. I dont want to F up the angle they are supposed to sit and then have to pay for a new panel because of how annoyed I'll be with it.
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

So I got the long panel and it will work. However, found out one of the armrests I bought has a spinning post so I need to fix that before I can install. Probably going to either drill and epoxy the post in place. Not sure yet. Will probably do some touch up paint on them as well since I couldn't completely remove the stains.

Anyways, putting this on hold for a few while I address that.
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

Just got my new interior panels for my 64 deluxe from Clara. I have 3 arm rests to buy then install. Clara made holes for them in the panels, but my question is, how are these installed?? There is a bracket on the wall of the bus, which I assume is for the arm rests. Each arm rest location on the panel has two holes. I’ve searched, but haven’t found a thread addressing how these are installed. Or is that because its easy? Any help with pics would be appreciated! Thanks, Brian
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

You'll need the bracket and two nuts and wobble washers.

Everett photo from the gallery.

nlorntson photo from gallery.

You tighten those onto the back of Clara's panel's then slip it over the wall bracket. I've put the armrest and bracket on by slipping my hand behind in place but it's a pain
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

You tighten those onto the back of Clara's panel's then slip it over the wall bracket. I've put the armrest and bracket on by slipping my hand behind in place but it's a pain

Great, makes sense. Thanks Everett!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

Exactly.

If using old armrest brackets, you may want to straighten them if they are squashed.
Attach the armrests to the armrest bracket with the panel in between.
Some armrests have studs, and you use nuts. On some armrests you use bolts.

Lift the panel up by the armrests, and drop it down onto the brackets on the wall.
Since the outside of the bus is slightly curved, kind of like a pumpkin, you may have to push the panel gently into the wall to make it concave as you slide the panel down and catch the armrest brackets onto the hooks on the bus wall.
This should hold the panel in place even with no screws.

Then you use the screws to attach the panel to the wall.
This pic from above shows late 63/ 1964 screw location:

missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
BarryL wrote:

Exactly.

If using old armrest brackets, you may want to straighten them if they are squashed.
Attach the armrests to the armrest bracket with the panel in between.
Some armrests have studs, and you use nuts. On some armrests you use bolts.

Lift the panel up by the armrests, and drop it down onto the brackets on the wall.
Since the outside of the bus is slightly curved, kind of like a pumpkin, you may have to push the panel gently into the wall to make it concave as you slide the panel down and catch the armrest brackets onto the hooks on the bus wall.
This should hold the panel in place even with no screws.

Then you use the screws to attach the panel to the wall.
This pic from above shows late 63/ 1964 screw location:

Thanks Clara, my new panels are beautiful! Installing them, slowly😬
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

thanks!.

FWIW, armrest orientation, see the shadow:

(gallery pics by joefriday)
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046ASHLO/?coliid=IEXAP..._lig_dp_it
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
thanks!.

FWIW, armrest orientation, see the shadow:

(gallery pics by joefriday)

Thanks Clara! This really helps. Just got my arm rests this morning. Very Happy
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046ASHLO/?coliid=IEXAP..._lig_dp_it

Thanks for posting this, I need to order these hole finders now. VW Logo
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

Sorry, meant to say “thanks BarryL”!
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

I have 3 nice armrests, but one had the studs cut off flush/1964.
Are these one piece, or a double threaded stud goes into a larger captive female thread? Hard to tell until I wait for the thread blaster to loosen the threads ?
Thanks

Never mind !!!
Took it over to my friends dental office and we x-rayed it.
Lots of metal frame work in an armrest and the bolts are part of it. Seems you would need to Tap or industrial glue after drilling and install a new stud.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

Drill dead center with a smaller drill, tap, use machine screw with fender washer.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Drill dead center with a smaller drill, tap, use machine screw with fender washer.

Thanks Barry
I can see inside it now, lots of room after drilling them out-soft metal so no issue tapping it. Understand how they were made too. Metal frame, then poured into a mold-good old school manufacturing. Won't have to worry about the length either, I will lock tight after tapping and get the same length
Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
I have 3 nice armrests, but one had the studs cut off flush/1964.
Are these one piece, or a double threaded stud goes into a larger captive female thread? Hard to tell until I wait for the thread blaster to loosen the threads ?
Thanks

Took it over to my friends dental office and we x-rayed it.
Lots of metal frame work in an armrest and the bolts are part of it.

Did you get a pic of the X-ray? That would be cool to see
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Installing armrests in new panels Reply with quote

I'll ask. We looked on a screen - no film, but the bolt is connected to steel wires running through-out the armrest, a large metal "dowel" twice the size of the stud is below the rubber, then it branches out into the armrest. Now I know why there are two other sawed off spots on the outer back, it's the end of the structure frame. Cool, molded rubber with color throughout
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: