Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires with beefy threads
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

What are my options for a tire with an aggresive thread? I'm in Alaska, where there is no shortage of reasonable trails on your way to do something fun. I would like to find something skinny and as tall as I can get away with on a stock configuration.
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

Are you on Facebook? Join “sky high on cross ply”. We have had numerous conversations on this. Unfortunately not much for options in the stock 5.60 x 15 size. Coker tire has tons of military options but they are much larger than the stock size.
Instagram: Raisedup58
VW's At The Springs
facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

I don't facebook. It is easier for me to maintain friendships if I'm not exposed to every random tought that flutters on their heads or pictures of everything they are eating.

The closest tire I could find (based on stats) was the Mickey Thompson Mini Mag Tires, 6.5 sectional width, 27" diameter. Sounds like they could fit. I would rather get something more vintage looking.
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2092114
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:

Those are pretty nice but the ad specifically says that because of their age they are not recommended for actual road use.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

You said trails, not roads....
I have US ROYAL bias ply tires on the stock 59 and has done well on dirt, gravel, and ledge logging roads. They were new when I got the car and need replacement as the rubber has hardened and on wet roads it's like driving on ice.
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

Kind of implied, considering that I'm trying to fit the tire on a stock height vehicle.

The diameter of the Mickey Thompson is 27", which is basically an extra inch taller radii wise. The width seems to be close to stock. What are the chances of these working?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

205/75/15 General Grabber.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

This may be your only option for a tall, skinny tire that fits a 4Jx15 rim:

http://www.blockleytyre.com/page2.htm#top

I'd hate to see how much shipping from the UK to AK is, though. Lucas Classic Tires carries them in the U.S., but their prices are obscene. The manufacturer currently has them (5.50x15) on sale and they may be cheaper, even with shipping and customs, due to the depressed exchange rate of $1.30 per GBP.
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

don1357 wrote:
Yustrn wrote:

Those are pretty nice but the ad specifically says that because of their age they are not recommended for actual road use.

Yeah it's called CYA by the seller because they are 20yr old NOS tires, throw some tubes in and roll out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

From personal experience, old tires like that will crack and fail and generally drive like shit compared to new ones.

I bought a VW with almost brand new Michelins on it but they were super old.
Car always garaged. 2 of them basically exploded off the wheel within a month of driving.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
don1357 wrote:
Yustrn wrote:

Yeah it's called CYA by the seller because they are 20yr old NOS tires, throw some tubes in and roll out.

Tires actually do have a best before date, no matter where they are kept. I have a set of G70/15s that are practically new, but I won't even drive to the DQ for ice cream with them. Like Everett said, old tires are dangerous. They dry rot and may look fine, no cracks even, but can blow out without warning on the road, even with tubes.

brad
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
don1357 wrote:
Yustrn wrote:

No, that's called do NOT use these on the street! A 40+ year old tire should NEVER be used to drive on the streets. These are only good for a static display or for driving or pushing a car around the parking lot. Failed tires can kill you & will definitely cause lots of damage to your car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
From personal experience, old tires like that will crack and fail and generally drive like shit compared to new ones.

Car always garaged. 2 of them basically exploded off the wheel within a month of driving.

Sweet, there should be some good wrecks on the SST this year since I know he sold a bunch of sets to those guys for buses. Popcorn
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

don1357 wrote:
Yustrn wrote:

Had those on the back of my 58 when I purchased it. The car took many trips to Lake Tahoe according to the log book, and the previous owner must have needed some traction in the snow. Very Happy

Yustrn wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Sweet, there should be some good wrecks on the SST this year since I know he sold a bunch of sets to those guys for buses. Popcorn

The above will always be a "to each their own", and will always carry a strong opinion on for, or against.
That said, I drove on 25 year old nos bias plys for 15 years with no issues.... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

I have mounted/ dismounted 100's of old tires. The amount of off-gassing a tire does in 40 years is incredible. Some stay pliable enough to mount and dismount....some not so much. I have mounted tires just like those off road NOS ones and you could hear bead cords stretching and popping as the went on. I would definitely NOT take those off road.
Keep your camera ready and watch for sidewall bulges and bubbles!! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

Here in Vegas if a car is kept out in the sun year round tires last about 5 years before they start randomly exploding and delaminating, regardless of mileage. As for beefy tires, your best bet is some 205/75-15s. I had them on my oval, they rub a little but it's about the smallest off road tire you're going to find anymore.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

Do you have those mounted on stock 4" rims?
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

Dang it, there are plenty of skinny old school military tires but they are for 16" rims. I guess all I need to do is get 16" smoothie rims, do a 2~3" body lift, and I'm set Rolling Eyes
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires with beefy threads Reply with quote

don1357 wrote:
Do you have those mounted on stock 4" rims?

Yep, stock 4Jx15 smoothies.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: