Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 air-cooled Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

ryanjames wrote:
is the TSII the same as the cylinder head temp sensor ?

I ve found the AFC manual on samba, and that is going to be a good source.

thank you again guys for any help
ryan

yes, its the same sensor. Smile

I dont drink beer, but food and fuel money are always welcome Razz

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryanjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

cylinder head temp sensor, was replaced, brand new.

this van is acting, to me, like a very rich or flooded condition. intial start is timid at best, and then you feel like you must chase it with the pedal. so when she does stall on you, now you have the foot flat to the floor, trying to suck the fuel through. if your lucky, it ll go after about 50 cranks and she ll slowly vibrate herself to life, again, with the pedal all the way down. after I get out of the van, there is the strong smell of fuel, and underneath the engine, there is a small drop of fuel on the ground...

I m still reading my AFC manual. ...but I think I MAY be right, in an over rich condition. ? ? ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

ryanjames wrote:
cylinder head temp sensor, was replaced, brand new.

this van is acting, to me, like a very rich or flooded condition. intial start is timid at best, and then you feel like you must chase it with the pedal. so when she does stall on you, now you have the foot flat to the floor, trying to suck the fuel through. if your lucky, it ll go after about 50 cranks and she ll slowly vibrate herself to life, again, with the pedal all the way down. after I get out of the van, there is the strong smell of fuel, and underneath the engine, there is a small drop of fuel on the ground...

I m still reading my AFC manual. ...but I think I MAY be right, in an over rich condition. ? ? ?

When it is cold out and these engines have been run for only a few minutes they may not restart very easily at all. Elevation doesn't help. This was a very common problem back in the late seventies and eighties when these rigs were to be seen everywhere. You can unplug the CSV in an effort to get them to start better.
ryanjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

just wanted to mention, I had a fantastic visit from stuart zukerfoose the other night. Stuart, you are are a great human being, and I really enjoyed my time with you. you are very knowledgable, and your passion for vans, was greatly enjoyed. here is some pics. we went over a few basics and I learned a lot, in a very short time. still need to figure a few things out, but certainly a great catalyst. she is cleaning up well, and today, did some more t cutting, and painted the rear vent. cleaned up well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ryanjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

good evening guys....I m finally getting into the project...

am starting by replacing my condenser and points. the condenser I bought has a short lead...that should be running to the coil. on the one I have installed, it has a very long RED lead, running to the coil. can I get away with the one I ve got, or have I bought the wrong one ? secondly, the way the condenser is into the distributor is like a very hard mounted plastic and it seems very hard to come out. I don't just want to muscle it out...any tricks with that ? I ll attach a couple of pictures to illustrate. thank you. ryan
ryanjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

There are an awfully lot of poorly made parts out there. At this point I am running ventilated Echlin points and an old Bosch condenser and am happy with them. If I need a condenser down the road, I will probably buy Beru.

Old condensers are typically very dependable, I don't change them unless they are beginning to look pretty ratty, new ones are often bad right out of the box.

Is there a tab holding the plastic block in place?
ryanjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

hmmm...thanks wildthings, I was just going with ... the always change them as a pair advice.

I ll have a closer look tomorrow night, I noticed these new parts were made in mexico...not sure of the brand.

thanks again for the input...what about that one lead that s supposed to go to the coil, and is about 2 ft, too short ? ? ?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

If its not long enough then you will have to extend it one way or another. I would use a quality water tight splice.
ryanjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

learned a lot in the past couple of days...

u cant adjust points with the vacuum disconnected. Smile

you have to take out the distributor to change the condenser.

the points I bought, seem to be of a cheaper quality than the one s I removed.
...the arm is weaker and not double walled as the previous...which is a bosch, based on the logo. micarta instead of plastic too...something to note for the future.

I did extend the condenser s coil wire with proper aviation splicing.

I broke a ground point, at the front of heater. a stud, I should say. best to drill there and put a screw in and nut for the ground ? ? ?

really enjoying my new van. going to go with the original bench in the back, to match the middle vinyl one. also thinking of tinting the windows. is there a cheap mans technique, without taking it to a shop ? there must be sticker type you can buy. starting to spray some rust in the floor with some corrosion X.

will tackle the timing soon. thank you for reading. ryan
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

ryanjames wrote:

u cant adjust points with the vacuum disconnected. Smile

I am not sure why you say the points can not be adjusted with the vacuum disconnected, the vacuum advance shouldn't effect the setting of the points in any way. I usually pull the distributor to both install and adjust the points so the vacuum is disconnected as a matter of course.

Quote:
the points I bought, seem to be of a cheaper quality than the one s I removed.
...the arm is weaker and not double walled as the previous...which is a bosch, based on the logo. micarta instead of plastic too...something to note for the future.

Echlin ventilated points are what I have been using for quite a while now and have had no complaints about. The Bosch points that have been available for the last dozen or so years have a crappy rub block which will break off and leave you sitting on the side of the road. There may be other good points out there, but at this point in time I would go with either Echlin or Beru.

Quote:
I broke a ground point, at the front of heater. a stud, I should say. best to drill there and put a screw in and nut for the ground ? ? ?

A screw and nut should be fine, I would put a bit of dielectric grease on it to keep the corrosion down.
ryanjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

thank you wild things for the response. always nice to know someone is listening.

what I meant was, with the vacuum disconnected, trying to do the points with the screw driver in my mouth, a pick in one hand, and a feeler gauge in the other, they were snapping back closed, as the as base plate would just spin.. anyways...I got that sorted.

do I need to re time now ? ? ? ... that may be a very silly question but I ve just got in from work, and am a bit weary...

it was timed prior...nothing has changed, am right ? ? ?

thank you . ryan.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

yes you will have to recheck timing. anytime you adjust points or remove and reinstall the distributor, it would be a great idea to confirm the timing setup.

ill shoot you an email in a bit regarding your other couple ideas Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
ryanjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

thank you Sir...that is what I thought, and does make sense.

...brain fart. Smile
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

ryanjames wrote:
is the TSII the same as the cylinder head temp sensor ?

Yes.

That looks to be in good condition! Nice find. Worth putting the effort into this one.

Edit: Doh! I was a whole page behind when I responded to this just now. Seems to be old news. Still, with the pictures up it is a good looking van! Carry on. Lol
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
ryanjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

thank you Buggeee for the positive vibes...I will keep on.

there is a final mission in mind, it needs to get me down the west coast one day. Smile

...as well as be my daily driver. Smile nice to meet you.

ryan
ryanjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

more valuable lessons learned today.

when you take off the front grille, to hopefully paint it, and customize it.

don't put it on top of the fridge, and the wife does nt know its there...

next thing...boom. this very old plastic is brittle, and will end up looking like this...

thinking about putting a hand made wooden grill in there then...hmmm...something to think about... she was busted in a few places, so don't feel too bad. Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

ryanjames wrote:

thinking about putting a hand made wooden grill in there then...hmmm...something to think about... she was busted in a few places, so don't feel too bad. Smile

A few years back they weren't that expensive from a VW dealer, no idea what they might cost today.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

Bummer!

I bet you can find a used one fairly easily....

206-841-7324
[email protected]
ryanjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

guys, checking my plugs. not happy with the previous worker on this engine.

as stuart found the other night, plugs in wrong holes.. Smile

one of the leads was broken, ( the insulating part...that goes on the plug )

pic to follow, but not good. I think they were jamming these things in...

also, the leads feel VERY loose to me, sitting in the tin. plug was gapped at 35, put to 25.

shoddy at best here.. erm, question, I don't see any nipple on the end of the plugs...do these type, not need the screw on nipple ? ? ?

do they always feel sooo loose in the shroud ? ...having lots of fun here, and seem to be cleaning up some very loose ends.

thanks for the help guys...slowly but surely. Smile they are ngk plugs, will give you the number soon.

ryan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: