Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

In the Westy, is it worth it to put Rattle Trap up there? I've never looked under the headliner at the metal panel, but with the luggage compartment on top, is it that noisy that Rattle Trap would help?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

I would put thin strips of the Fat Mat up there, and then cover that with the fabric matrix stuff similar to what's used on the tintops. I think the campers just use fibreglass insulation which is a lousy sound deadener when compressed into a tight space.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

i did and it did make a difference. easy to do. added a passenger dome light while i was there
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

there is a specialty product made for this application

it won't fall on your head and ruin your headliner
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

I used dynamat extreme and then a layer of 1/2” dynaliner above my headliner and I think it definitely helped. Hard to tell how much because I did a few other areas at the same time (doors and floor.) I think the dynaliner has helped The heat retention and the dynamat has helped with sound. I think if you soundproof, do as much of the van as possible and your efforts will be worth it for sure. People who ride in my van remark about how quiet it is inside.

The idea of adding another overhead light is a good one. Check out the article on adding a passenger light in the headliner on “vanagon hacks.” There is some good info in there about location and there should be a knock out already in the headliner on the passenger side. Of course this would probably be apparent when taking down the headliner but thought I’d mention it.

http://www.vanagonhacks.com/2016/08/passengers-side-dome-light/
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

How difficult is it to remove the headliner?? the from and sides seem somewhat straightforward, but towards the back, where it integrates with the parts of the poptop and cabinetry, I'm somewhat challenged mentally.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

I had all the screws out of the headliner and could lower it down enough to see the fiberglass insulation was glued to the roof. At that point, I decided to not bother. Working that headliner out and dealing with pealing the fiberglass insulation off was not something I felt like doing.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

well, you'd only need to do 25% of the area

OTOH, the wind noise would still be high
djacksonsf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

Question for Synchroid: Were you able to see the bolts that fasten the luggage rack brackets when you lowered your headliner, or does getting to them require going through/removing insulation?

I ask because my luggage rack brackets are bent, and that's causing the front edge of the rack where it meets the metal above the windshield to vibrate at speed.

After much searching, I found the necessary replacement brackets, but am worried about screwing up the headliner when lowering it or putting it back into place. I'm also worried about accessing the bolts inside the cab to release the bent brackets up top.

Any "recon" you have about what you found will be much appreciated!
'83 BMW R100RS
'74 BMW 2002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

I gave up on the task when removing the headliner became more involved than I wanted to deal with.

djacksonsf wrote:
Question for Synchroid: Were you able to see the bolts that fasten the luggage rack brackets when you lowered your headliner, or does getting to them require going through/removing insulation?

I ask because my luggage rack brackets are bent, and that's causing the front edge of the rack where it meets the metal above the windshield to vibrate at speed.

After much searching, I found the necessary replacement brackets, but am worried about screwing up the headliner when lowering it or putting it back into place. I'm also worried about accessing the bolts inside the cab to release the bent brackets up top.

Any "recon" you have about what you found will be much appreciated!

vanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

I did Hoodliner. Worked a treat!
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

Here is what I did.

Dynamat...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then Dynaliner over that.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
I gave up on the task when removing the headliner became more involved than I wanted to deal with.

1 - well done on responding to a year old thread in less than 60 minutes
2 - super well done on giving up on a task when it gets more involved than desired. Some things are best left alone.

That’s all.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: FatMat Rattle Trap under headliner? Reply with quote

pbrown wrote:
Here is what I did.

Dynamat...

Then Dynaliner over that.

And what are you using for the headliner itself? Just put the original back in or something else? I'm in the middle of creating a new headliner since mine is trashed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: