Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Singing Those Fuel Pump Power Blues...SOLVED
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Singing Those Fuel Pump Power Blues...SOLVED Reply with quote

Well, I'm back to diagnosing fuel pump problems again. Got my replacement Bosch unit this weekend. The pump the previous owner installed was really small in diameter compared to the Bosch unit.

I got the pump installed, fuel lines, wiring, etc. all back where they need to be. Connect the battery, turn the ignition switch on, no sound from the pump, engine will not run. Check my electrical connections again just to make certain. Positive wire to positive connection on pump, ground wire at frame to negative post.

To make sure the pump wasn't dead I ran a jumper wire from the positive post on the pump to the positive post on the battery. The pump ran fine. Ran a test light on the positive power wire to the pump, no light. I don't have my multimeter to check voltages.

Tried the relays in the engine bay. I can hear them click, but no noise from the pump.

It's getting late, so I'm going to have to stop the project for the evening, and pick it back up again tomorrow. Which direction to check next? Could it be that the power wire to the pump is bad? Does it go directly to the relays, or does the power wire make a couple of stops along the way to the relay?

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Singing Those Fuel Pump Power Blues Reply with quote

This thread, my post the 4th one down. Re: T2 power/ground connect hard to find, probably crusty. Open inspect and clean to rule it out.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7916746

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Singing Those Fuel Pump Power Blues Reply with quote

I figured it out. Came down to a bad connector on the power line at the pump. I cut the old one off, put a new one on and the pump powered up as it should.

ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Singing Those Fuel Pump Power Blues Reply with quote

Nice.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Singing Those Fuel Pump Power Blues...SOLVED Reply with quote

BTW...here's a photo of the fuel pumps side by side. The left is the new Bosch unit that I bought. The right is the unit the previous owner had installed the day I purchased the vehicle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took Von Westy out for a ride last night. I did have to let her warm up a bit more, but this is the first I've had her with colder temps. Once warmed up she seemed to behave on the 10 mile test trip.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Singing Those Fuel Pump Power Blues...SOLVED Reply with quote

Curious where you bought the Bosch unit and how much?
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Singing Those Fuel Pump Power Blues...SOLVED Reply with quote

Bought on Amazon $94.27 with Prime 2-day shipping. Bosch #69414.

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Singing Those Fuel Pump Power Blues...SOLVED Reply with quote

I just got back from an hour long test run after fitting the new Bosch fuel pump. I never heard it the entire trip! The other one that was on was always audible.

She ran pretty well. She stayed consistent with speed. I got her out on the Interstate for a few miles and she was able to maintain 70mph with no apparent issues.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: