Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrecting a 1959 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Just a quick update. I’m very happy to report my choke cable pulled right out of the metal tube without any struggle; perhaps that was due to the rubber boot/seal on the end of the tube under the gas tank still being intact? Regardless, I’m not complaining. Although I am a little bummed I have to change the cable, it appears to be the original one (or a factory replacement) because I found a little stamped VW emblem on the side of the housing. Oh well, at least the new cable is sooooo nice and smooth when you pull on it! Very Happy I also replaced both choke cable grommets and also finally got around to installing a grommet on the front tin for the fuel line. I almost decided to paint my coil the proper color however the coil bracket doesn’t fit very well (aftermarket replacement, like the coil) so I think first I will try and track down an original one. And if I do that then I need to also try to find an original screw terminal horn - yes it’s also the wrong one. Confused However it works fine so maybe I should just leave well enough alone? We shall see...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cleaning and checking things as I reinstall them...

I’m happy to report that the muffler has held up very well (from Wolfsburg West). The tailpipes however have some small rust specks starting to show through... maybe it’s time for some Theo decker tips? Wink

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

So I managed to get my hands on some 36 hp engine cores Sunday. My long term plan is to use them to start working on a vintage speed engine (Okrassa) for my ‘59. They are both locked up at the moment, but I’m hoping that I’ll be able to get them apart and that at least one case will be good. At least one of them (if not both) is out of a bus. From outside appearance they both look ok and no water in the oil but looks can be deceiving...

He also threw in two screw terminal starters, an early fuel pump, two 28 PCI carburetors and a 40 hp thermostat assembly. Also a 1960 36 hp fan shroud in excellent shape.

The third engine is more for looking at than anything, it sat outside for years and has heavy case corrosion and heavy rust on everything. I doubt I’ll be able to salvage much off of it.

More pictures will follow as I start taking them apart. Merry Christmas!

Snort wrote:
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Nice finds, looks like some good parts on there.

Bug-nut wrote:

If you feel like and the distributor is not too crusty on the sides, pull that distributor out and try to look at the date code.

It has wire clips that hold the cap on, which is usually a 54-55 thing.

Date code example, small text on the side:

It may not be in that same location
Date code thread
Hella/SWF/Bosch/Blaupunkt date codes
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505

Bug-nut wrote:

The fan shroud is trashed, I'd like to see a clearer photo of it Smile

Did the cylinder tin rot off in place? That is awesome
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Nice finds, looks like some good parts on there.

Bug-nut wrote:

If you feel like and the distributor is not too crusty on the sides, pull that distributor out and try to look at the date code.

It has wire clips that hold the cap on, which is usually a 54-55 thing.

Date code example, small text on the side:

It may not be in that same location
Date code thread
Hella/SWF/Bosch/Blaupunkt date codes
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505

Bug-nut wrote:

The fan shroud is trashed, I'd like to see a clearer photo of it Smile

Did the cylinder tin rot off in place? That is awesome

Everett thanks for the heads up on the date codes. I’ll definately pull both of them and clean them and check the date codes. I’m very curious myself.

And yes it all rotted in place. I’ll take lots of pictures of everything as I take it apart. I almost feel like I should leave the really bad engine alone and keep it together as some form of crusty art. I can’t imagine the inside would look any better. Confused

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Eehhhhh... (long slow exhale...) Confused So the engine cores I bought are no good. Both engine cases have heavy corrosion issues so I cannot use the cases for my Okrassa speed engine build. So my search for a good serviceable case continues. Has anyone here bought a used case or longblock from Wolfsburg West? I notice they have some for sale on their website.

For some good news though, I did manage to rebuild one of the two starters. So if I can ever get my heads back and can use them on my engine, I can get in reinstalled and try out the starter and see if it cranks smoother/sounds better than the aftermarket rebuilt one that is currently on my car. This waiting is killing me though! My car has been down for over two months! AGHHH!!! Neutral

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Well guys I’m afraid I have nothing but bad news. Clyde called me at the beginning of last February and said my heads were finished and after he received my check he would send them on their way. It’s been three weeks since he cashed my check and as of today I’ve still not received them. I also am not able to get ahold of him and he hasn’t returned my calls. Confused I don’t know what to do, I’m kind of at a loss now. Damn. Sad

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Update time! I’ve given up on Clyde and his nonsense for the moment, I’ll worry about him and my old heads later. I’ve tracked down and purchased enough NOS parts to build me two complete new heads. I’ll be honest it pains me to use these NOS parts, they are so shiny and pretty and the fact they’ve made it this long without being used is kinda awesome however I believe it’s better to use them to get my car running and driving again instead of putting the parts on my shelf to look at while my beloved Volkswagen sits in pieces in the garage. So here we go!

(I’m still waiting on one of the heads to arrive. Also I have new springs, just not in this picture)

I also was finally able to track down a dealer plate I’ve been looking for for over two years. However when I went to install it on my car I found the dealer had originally installed the plate holder way to high and consequently the frame was hitting the license plate light. Also it was a single bolt holder and wasn’t mounted centrally and it also was causing cracks to form in the deck lid! Shocked So I found where Staleair recommended a Chevy bel air bracket and I went with that. I used a piece of rubber between the mount and deck lid as well. It might be just a touch too low, however I’m very happy with it. It’s also nice and solid now.

Today I also got the new valves lapped into one of the heads. I also pulled the #1 and #2 cylinders and removed the .020” shims I used under them back when I had to have one of my old heads flycut .020” due to pitting on the sealing surfaces. I also gently lapped the cylinders into the heads. So far so good! We are moving forward! Very Happy

Snort wrote:
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:

Shocked So I found where Staleair recommended a Chevy bel air bracket and I went with that. I used a piece of rubber between the mount and deck lid as well. It might be just a touch too low, however I’m very happy with it. It’s also nice and solid now.

Im glad the bracket worked out for you.
As you know the brackets were dealer installed, so anything goes, low high etc. I think you mounted it up just fine, and looks great. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Well fellas after over 4 months down for heavy maintenance I’m very happy to report that the ‘59 is back on the road again! This is also the first time I’ve ever driven it with the thermostat assembly installed on it and I can definitely tell it makes a big difference! The engine warms up much faster and runs better at colder temperatures, and the cabin heat heats more consistently and puts out even more heat. Yesterday my wife and I took it on a drive/lunch meet up with the British car club we are members in. We had a great time and I’m so happy to have the VW back on the road again! Very Happy

First test drive the other day.

Several members met at the local weigels for a group drive to our chosen point for the lunch meet-up.

Snort wrote:
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Cool pictures Very Happy
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

I love the updates and I'm glad the car is back on the road!

I also hope you get your money back from Clyde.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Stephan Schmidt wrote:
I love the updates and I'm glad the car is back on the road!

I also hope you get your money back from Clyde.

All that finally worked out. He recently sent me the old heads back, they seem to be repaired ok but the whole deal was just such a mess. I’m sorry I forgot to post the update here on this thread. I had a full breakdown with pictures over in the oval window thread, see here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=710605

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Wanted to add a small update. After over two years of having a broken odometer I finally decided to risk it all and attempt to repair it. Happily enough I found that instead of a broken plastic gear like I was expecting, it was a little metal wheel that was slipping on the odometer wheel shaft. I carefully pressed the shaft partially out, knurled/scratched the inside of the wheel, and reassembled with a small drop of blue loctite. I also used the opportunity to reset the odometer to 0. I tested it and all seems to work properly now. I’ll reassemble it tomorrow after the loctite has had plenty of time to cure.

The offending wheel

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Well it’s been long enough, time for another little update. I’m happy to report that my odometer has been working wonderfully, and I just passed 1,020 miles on both it and my new heads. I did a valve adjustment and cylinders #1 & 2 were still perfectly adjusted, and #3 & 4 were about .0015” tight, so I adjusted them back to .006”. I also finally got a Bosch coil decal, which finally made the engine bay all nice and happy!

Also the thermostat and ring are all working very nicely. I am still very impressed by how much better it runs now, a few weeks ago I went on a drive with the local VW club and I had one nice gentleman come up and ask me what engine I had in the Beetle - he was impressed that I was keeping up with his somewhat souped-up later model beetle (although in all honesty, he had been slowly outpacing me - we were on some pretty curvy roads which kept us from going too fast).

And finally last weekend my wife and I went on a 2.5 hour drive to go check out one of the semi-local AT&T Long Line Towers. We drove up to Camp Creek Bald, which topped out at 4500 feet in elevation. The tower was decommissioned years ago, probably around the early 1990’s, and all that is left is the tower structure, the concrete block building, and the backup General Motors diesel generator. It was a fun trip, the final 6 miles being up a moderately steep gravel road. Who needs a 4 wheel drive when you have a VW? Laughing

I’ll try to keep updating this thread as the adventures keep happening. Happy V’dubbing! Very Happy

Snort wrote:
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you for the update Very Happy
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Excellent photo.
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

I just LOVE this thread and this car! Keep it up!
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Excellent photo.

Thank you! Very Happy However I must confess I didn’t take this photo. Here south of Knoxville we have a highway nicknamed “the Dragon’s Tail” (U.S. 129 Highway) that got its name from all the hard turns and switchbacks (318 of them in an 11 mile section!) it has here in the Deals Gap area. It’s really popular with motorcyclists and sports car enthusiasts who like to drive on it as fast and as recklessly as they can... Anyway, several entrepreneurs have set up camera booths and they take your picture as you drive by. Later they upload them to their website where you can buy them if you want. I went back and checked them after our drive and found this one and just had to get it. Cool

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Stephan Schmidt wrote:
I just LOVE this thread and this car! Keep it up!

Thanks! I’ll do my best! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

So here’s yet another little update for y’all. My wife and I have went with my brother and sister in law to Roanoke, VA for a short little vacation. Don’t ask me where all we are going, I just drive where she tells me to go. Wink However I did decide I’d try to take pictures of our stops and record the mileage and whatnot. So for starters today we went and met my brother and sister in law at their house. And as usual the sky opened up and rained pretty much the entire time (happens to me every time).

Then we had to stop off at the Post Office so Mary could ship her fathers birthday present.

After that we drove for about two hours and stopped in Kingsport, TN at your super heathy fast food place for a snack.

Then back on the road to Christiansburg, VA to Duncan Imports.

They specialize in importing right hand drive Japanese cars and Kei cars. They also have a huge warehouse of over 1100 cars of all types, some of which are for sale and some which aren’t. They had about 19 Volkswagens there (not for sale unfortunately). Of note was a 1956 Oval, a 21 window Deluxe bus, several Things, three Ghias, two Type 2 single cabs, and a squareback. If you want more pictures and info you can go to their website and check them out. Here’s a few pictures I took while I was there.

Then outside they had these strange things. They are a little Kei van that has had a replacement front clip installed on them to make you think they are a VW van. However they aren’t street legal because they aren’t 25 years old yet, which is a requirement to get a title here in the USA. So they told me they can only sell them for off-road purposes, to amusement parks and hotels and places like that.

After we finally tore ourselves away from there, we stopped at Cracker Barrel for supper.

Then we drove another 1.5 hrs to our AirBnB in Wirtz, VA. After we unpacked I had to spend a while drying out the insides under the floor mats. Apparently I have a window seal or something which is leaking and allowing lots of water inside the car.

So to quickly sum up the day, we drove about 5-5.5 hours, at an average of 60 mph (mostly in the pouring rain) for a total of 340 miles. Day one complete! Very Happy

Snort wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: