Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

I am only able to find power at 2-3 fuses in fuse panel. Specifically the last 2, #11 and #12. I get additional power at #7 with ignition key on. Where should I start ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

Start here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(click to enlarge)

You can see from this diagram that only 2 fuses are powered directly by battery. Another 3 fuses are powered only when key is on.

The rest are basically for various other circuits (lights etc) and won't be powered unless those devices are turned on.
honestcharlie56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

what year bus do you have. We do have wiring diagrams on this site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

Do you have the yellow fuse box that tends to disintegrate?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

Six of the fuses are for the headlights and other lights IIRC so will have no power unless the headlights are on.

Are you having an electrical problem? If so can you describe it carefully?
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

In my haste to get the engine back in after fuel tank replacement I have created an electrical nightmare. IMO.
Its a 1970 bay window which I purchased a couple months back. I thought I labeled all the wires prior to engine removal but apparently not. No power to coil. Fuses 7,9,11 and 12 are hot with ignition off. Fuses 1,2,3,4 7,9,11 and 12 are hot with ignition on and lights on.
The engine cranks but cant get it to start. The wire that "I thought" powered the coil is a small red wire (14 gauge possibly) coming through firewall on drivers side. According to diagram this wire is supposed to come from fuse #3 which has power with lights on.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

Shocked All that red!

Start by replacing all those red fuses with white ones except for #8 and #12, the fuse box shown on the diagram posted above shows their locations (depicted mirror image on that diagram for some reason, #1 is on the right, #12 on left).

There are no red wires involved in the ignition system, and none connected to #3 that I can see, your PO has been messing with things. The coil is powered by a black wire connected to the bottom of fuse #10 (unfused side), that part of the fuse box is powered by the black wire coming from the ignition switch and connected under fuse #8. There's a good chance that black wire in the harness running to the back of the bus on the RH side got shorted out and burnt, the red wire may be some sort of bypass fix for it. click on the diagram below twice to see it bigly.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

Which direction are you counting your fuses?

Not all your headlight fuses will be hot at the same time, you will either have the two fuses for the low beams hot, or the two fuses for the high beams, not both.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Shocked All that red!

There are no red wires involved in the ignition system,
The coil is powered by a black wire connected to the bottom of fuse #10

As diagnostic helpers, busdaddy, we should also ask if he has an aftermarket electric fuel pump. Those things are frequently powered off the coil with cheesy red wire from the FLAPS.
Colin Shocked
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Shocked All that red!

There are no red wires involved in the ignition system,
The coil is powered by a black wire connected to the bottom of fuse #10

As diagnostic helpers, busdaddy, we should also ask if he has an aftermarket electric fuel pump. Those things are frequently powered off the coil with cheesy red wire from the FLAPS.
Colin Shocked

Excellent point Colin, although cheesy red is a slight upgrade from the usual cheesy black, it must have been on sale that day.

And in case it does power a pump it's not a good idea to power it from the coil, a dedicated fuel pump control relay powered from the battery or starter terminal is a much safer option that will add years of life to your ignition switch as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

And in case it does power a pump it's not a good idea to power it from the coil, a dedicated fuel pump control relay powered from the battery or starter terminal is a much safer option that will add years of life to your ignition switch as well.

Like this (though I need to do a diagram for early bay buses with generators):
(5806)

https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11380#p199444

mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. No electric fuel pump on this engine. ordered more fuses and will replace first chance I get.

I was reading fuse block from left to right like diagram showed so that threw me off.
With ignition switch on I should have power at bottom (unfused side) of #10 fuse. If I do and "if" that's the wire powering the coil I have a short somewhere between there and the coil. Right ?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

8, 9 & 10 should all be live with the key on, see that heavy black bar running along under them?, that depicts a brass link on the fuse box that connects all 3, it's powered by the black wire from the ignition switch.

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

mcrum4421 wrote:
I have a short somewhere between there and the coil. Right ?

A "short" is when two wires touch that are not suppose to touch, it can be two hot wires or a hot wire and a ground.

An "open" is when there is a break in a wire or a bad connection that prevent current from flowing normally.

You have an open or miswired circuit.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
mcrum4421 wrote:
I have a short somewhere between there and the coil. Right ?

A "short" is when two wires touch that are not suppose to touch, it can be two hot wires or a hot wire and a ground.

An "open" is when there is a break in a wire or a bad connection that prevent current from flowing normally.

You have an open or miswired circuit.
Thanks for pointing that out Wildthings. I like to tell people: Shorts cause smoke, open circuits don’t.

As soon as I saw the red wire coming through the firewall, I knew there was trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the help.

I have neither short or an open. what I now have is power from switch to #15 on coil. Red wire coming from front on drivers side is a mystery for right now. I found black wire from switch and connected it to #15 on coil. However when I turn engine over I get no spark at distributor cap from coil wire. Dim test light at #1 while cranking. I've tested coil and got numbers that show it to be good. I'm wondering if I've jeopardized the Compu-Fire module in the distributor when I was fishing for wire placement.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

Well... they do have that reputation of being mysterious and unreliable (wow, I sound like a redneck mechanic discussing FI Shocked ), but really, those modules elevate mysterious issues to a whole new level, there's no way to test them (unlike FI).

#15 on the coil gets the black wire that has power when the key is on, the black wire on the mystery module goes on #1 and the red wire goes on #15. Yes I know black on red is odd, but it's the way crap flows downhill when you mix German, American and Chinese.

Good luck, I like points myself Wink

Слава Україні!
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

To check a module or points you only need a test light. Ground to battery and probe negative side of coil while turning engine with starter. Blinking light means distributor is doing its job. No flash points or module bad.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

mcrum, do you have the black magnetic disc installed in your distributor when trying to start? I don't see it in your distributor picture…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to most of my fuse box 1970 bus Reply with quote

Yes asiab3 I did install the magnetic disc but I feel that I probably destroyed the module in my haste to connect everything back up after the install of the engine. Is it ok go back to a points system with this 009 distributor ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: