Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" Tire Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

^^i bought a set of these and put them on my new van. they are decent, made in MX and i am happy with them so far. not many miles on them yet. i worry about the low load index and having been burned by cheap tires before, will just have to wait and see i guess. in fact, they may go with when i sell the old van after i figure out how to run 15s because finding 14s is becoming a real chore.

$360 out the door though; mounted and balanced at my local llantera Smile
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

jeffsab wrote:
Anyone tried the Sailun SL-12?
https://simpletire.com/sailun-195-r14-2000523-tires
http://www.sailuntyre.eu/tyres/sl12.html

I am considering buying one to use as a spare, as my current spare is junk. At 26.2" tall the Sailun 195R14 tire appears to be close to both the 215/65R15 (26.0") I have on my van now and the 205/70R15 Nokian snow tires (26.3") sitting in the garage waiting to be mounted come Nov.

So, one 14-inch spare to use for both setups. No need to buy a fifth 15-inch wheel. I have all the nuts and bolts. And it should even fit in the stock clamshell! How can I go wrong with this decision? Seriously, please tell me.

I am kicking myself for not going through with my plan as the Sailun SL12 is now out of stock at Simple Tire. And I still need a spare.

The good news, at least for Canadians, is that these are available up north, and at a good price, too. PMC has them in both 185R14 and 195R14 sizes.

https://pmctire.com/en/tires/sailun/sl12-commercial.tire
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Yesterday I spotted what seemed like a bargain deal at SimpleTire on Load D 195R14 Hankooks.

Right now as I am writing this they are $60 each, with free shipping

I ordered 5 and hoped the deal would go through. Got shipping confirmation today.
Last night I saw the price was up by more than double but now it is back to the deal price.
I'm pretty sure these are not fresh production. I only need about 5 years from them for a special project van.

https://simpletire.com/hankook-195-r14-2000180-tires

Mark
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

D@mn! That's a seriously great deal for anyone looking for good solid basic rollers.

Another great, helpful post...add another 1000 points to Mark's account! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Yesterday I spotted what seemed like a bargain deal at SimpleTire on Load D 195R14 Hankooks...

Dang, makes me wish I needed tires, that is a great price.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

i sure hope another deal like this for 14s comes around in like 2 years. pretty sure Vanagon is German for "gimme all your money when i'm old"

BiWerks Design, LLC
rblake3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Just mounted a set of Nokian C-Line 185R14C Load Range D tires on the van after A LOT of searching and research. Got them at my local tire shop who have done my other vehicles and are a Nokian Hankook etc dealer. Not the cheapest compared to Kung FU tires but with 5 tires of the stock size with more than adequate load rating and a 1805 date stamp I am happy. I took off a set of 15 year old Michelin MTX/LT tires which were awesome. They had reasonable tread left but are definitely heat cycled out and were as hard as a rock. The new tires will not be as good in snow/ice but try to avoid that with the van nowadays anyway. Tempted by 15" options but wanted to retain full size clamshell spare and stock rims are totally straight and unblemished.

PROS: Stock size that meets or exceeds load rating, full size spare fits in clamshell, good in the wet.

CONS: Special order, limited supply stateside. Not snow or ice rated.

Tire tread view

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On stock Carat springs with Bilstiens, normal stance.

94 Miata
Vanagon H4 E-Code Lighting Upgrade page
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

rblake3 wrote:
Just mounted a set of Nokian C-Line 185R14C Load Range D tires on the van after A LOT of searching and research. Got them at my local tire shop who have done my other vehicles and are a Nokian Hankook etc dealer. Not the cheapest compared to Kung FU tires but with 5 tires of the stock size with more than adequate load rating and a 1805 date stamp I am happy. I took off a set of 15 year old Michelin MTX/LT tires which were awesome. They had reasonable tread left but are definitely heat cycled out and were as hard as a rock. The new tires will not be as good in snow/ice but try to avoid that with the van nowadays anyway. Tempted by 15" options but wanted to retain full size clamshell spare and stock rims are totally straight and unblemished.

PROS: Stock size that meets or exceeds load rating, full size spare fits in clamshell, good in the wet.

CONS: Special order, limited supply stateside. Not snow or ice rated.

Tire tread view

On stock Carat springs with Bilstiens, normal stance.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1862694.jpg[/mg]

I put these on about 15 months ago ^^^

Thoughts.....

They are wearing well

They are rotational specific, I didn't like discovering this, I've been known to dismount and flip odd wearing tires to get more miles.

They do NOT like open mesh steel bridges! They tend to wander and toss you about.

No problems in both snow and ice, they did quite well. "All Season" is somewhat of a marketing scam anyway. In essence they are tires that aren't really good at any season.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I think it should be noted that there is a 10 page thread similar to this that was closed. Some old info maybe useful.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433120
WestyWayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I have a 1983 (aircooled) 2WD Westy and am looking at the GRABBER ATX LT27X8.5R1. I am curious if anyone with an older Vanagon (80-83) has these on their vehicle? Any issues? With load capacity...or overall fit?

The tire guide pdf that many of you have referenced says this in the notes for the Grabbers:

"May rub upper control arm if installed on factory steel wheels (depends on the van)."

Thank you,
WestyWayne
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Is there a thread on 14” wheels/rims ? I have a 1970 Bay which currently has 15s on it and would like to go back to a 14. Looking for opinions/advice and also looking for rims. No OEM 14” rims for sale around middle Tennessee area.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Search the classifieds here. They may not be right in your backyard, but I did see a set listed in PA.

A "WTB" ad would certainly add your prospects... Cool

- Dave

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Many/most people in the VANAGON forum here don't/won't know that your 1970 has WIDE 5 (5x205) bolt pattern which DOES NOT share with the vanagons (or 71-79 bay buses)
you need to search in the BAY and maybe SPLIT forums for 14in 5x205mm wide 5 rims.

mcrum4421 wrote:
Is there a thread on 14” wheels/rims ? I have a 1970 Bay which currently has 15s on it and would like to go back to a 14. Looking for opinions/advice and also looking for rims. No OEM 14” rims for sale around middle Tennessee area.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Hey all...just remembered a bit of tire-related info I had buried in some other thread (re: General Grabbers <vs> wheel covers):

dhaavers wrote:
FWIW, I never had so much as a loose wheel cover in 8 years, then put on the Grabber AT2's & managed to lose 2 wheel
covers in the first 500 miles... Evil or Very Mad ...I blame the relatively wide GG profile squeezed onto the relatively narrow steelies:

The wide shoulder of the tire (right up next to the lip of the wheel) seems to prevent the wheel cover from fully seating;
result being they start to self-eject faster than presidential cabinet members... Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

Consider pulling the wheel covers, clean up the old steelies & finish with "hammered" finish rattlecan paint...(if you like):

- Dave

- Dave (again) Wink

HOPS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Will these tires fit on a stock 2wd with the stock 14" steel rims?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...;tab=Sizes
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Quote:
Will these tires fit on a stock 2wd with the stock 14" steel rims?

YES...
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Yesterday I spotted what seemed like a bargain deal at SimpleTire on Load D 195R14 Hankooks.

Right now as I am writing this they are $60 each, with free shipping

I ordered 5 and hoped the deal would go through. Got shipping confirmation today.
Last night I saw the price was up by more than double but now it is back to the deal price.
I'm pretty sure these are not fresh production. I only need about 5 years from them for a special project van.

https://simpletire.com/hankook-195-r14-2000180-tires

Mark

I ordered one for the spare. Price was low at $60ish. After checking out I noticed my card was charged doubled! It took nearly an hour on the phone with simpletire. The website switched to double price and the guy from support had to launch an investigation about the issue. Their technical people found the error (the next day)and honored my $60 price.
FYI
Brian
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Don't know if these have been posted before...

Maxxis UE-168(N) Bravo Series 185/R-14C

https://simpletire.com/maxxis-185-r14c-tl12411200-tires
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

hey guys just bough this tires. Doing shocks, brakes bunch of other stuff. Couldn't drop more dough at this time. I don't expect my van to walk on water with this tires on but be safe at least???
My van is stuck , not loaded. I drive slow Laughing 60-65mph is my top speed usually.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Lionhart-LH-501-205-70R...2749.l2649
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

in my opinion where cheap tires will show their true treads is on a freshly wet road while taking an off ramp or when some texting jackwad takes your lane because they want to exit the freeway.

how well will they perform then?

westina wrote:
hey guys just bough this tires. Doing shocks, brakes bunch of other stuff. Couldn't drop more dough at this time. I don't expect my van to walk on water with this tires on but be safe at least???
My van is stuck , not loaded. I drive slow Laughing 60-65mph is my top speed usually.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Lionhart-LH-501-205-70R...2749.l2649

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 31

Jump to: