Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ Hesitation While Driving
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

Hello all!
Here we are on Holiday, and the van starts acting up. We drive 250km with no problems. Then, as we get close to Burg Frankenstein, the van begins to hesitate.
Driving normal, then loss of power. The motor is still turning (as it's still in gear). If I push the Gas or not, it makes no matter. No change to how the motor sounds.
It happens sporatically, as we drove. I stopped and drained the fuel filter thinking it was water in the fuel. This didn't change a thing.
The first fuel station we found, I put in 10 liters Super Plus, then 24 liters of Diesel (the shop didn't have any alcohol).
On the way back to the hotel (an hours drive), it only happened once more. Naturally, it happened [i]right[/] after I told Mrs. WT that 'I think that did it. Problem solved'!

On a side note, I did check the battery (I have a volt meter), and it read 14.3v. I decided that this means it's not the fuel shut-off solenoid.
Besides, as far as I know, those don't funciton intermittently. They either work or they don't.
Please feel free to armchair diagnose this. I'm out on Holiday for two more days, and I will update with more issues as they present themselves.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iulian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

Vacuum in the fuel tank, plugged breather hoses with ice/dirt? Would explain why it did function for a while after fuel station stop
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

The most likely cause is crud in your fuel tank outlet or clogged fuel filter. Check the clear tube for bubbles, that is a sure sign.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

Vacuum sounds most likely. Tank was cleaned two years ago. Had a problem with ventilation once before.
I checked the clear lines as well, and they were bubble free.
Thanks!

EDIT- Does anyone have a part number for the fuel tank vents?
EDIT 2- Nevermind. Found, ordered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

Some years ago I got a tankful of bad diesel. Van ran real crappy and had to change filters 3 times to get it cleared out.

So even if you think your filter is clean its worth changing because its the cheapest fix.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

Has the engine been adapted for a strictly mechanical pump or is it still electronic? If mechanical, how are you controlling the boost? If electrical, have you connected your laptop with the VCDS software running?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

Purely mechanical.
Boost is controled by the...., um..... vacuum tube?
I replaced it a while back.

On a side note, drove it 50km today. Over mountains, down hills, full throttle, coasting. Not once did it trip up or stall. Also, first thing today, I found a liter of 'Brennspiritus'. No, it's not a concoction from Harry Potter. Literally, it is 'burning alcohol'. Alcohol fuel. Alcohol binds with water. I plan on running the tank down as far as I dare (¼ tank) to see if the problem resurfaces. My first impression was water in the fuel, and I stand by that until evidence to the contrary presents itself.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

I don’t know where you live but keep in mind that a clogged filter is affected by changes in weather due to the viscosity of diesel fuel in cold weather. If you add a liquid thinner it also reduces the viscosity in cold weather. A diagnostic is to pour hot water over your filter, if the trouble stops then likely your filter is clogged.

Vacuum tube? I prefer LDA=Ladedruckanreicherung=boost pressure enrichment.

You should know! But non-Germans probably say “aneroid”.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

So, I have new info!

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US WAS WRONG!

Wife got sick last night from bad Indian food, spent the night hugging the bowl.
Today's activities were cancelled to head home early. Trouble starts at about ¾ tank. Since we are on the Autobahn, we call for a tow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Get dropped off at the nearest fuel station. Top up, drive on. Problems start again. This goes on for about three hours (we were only an hour and a half from home!). During this time, the fuel filter was changed.

Not trusting our luck, we stayed off the Autobahn. Out in the middle of nowhere, we died again. For good. Nothing I did seemed to work. We call again for help. This time, ADAC sends out a mechanic, not a tow truck.
Mechanic has a Multi-Meter. Mechanic says the power to the fuel solenoid is intermittent. Mechanic says maybe it's the ignition switch. Mechanic hot-wires the solenoid to the battery. Van starts right up. d'oh!

New switch has been ordered. Multi-meter will now be permanent part of tool kit.

Thank you to everyone that tried to help me. I'm sure we have all learned something here.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

Update- Switch swapped.
Switch swapped a second time due to faulty part.
New switch works just fine.
Now I have a fuel issue. Smoking engine, hot diesel smell, drops on hatch door, small puddle underneath....
I'll work the issue, and start a new thread if need be.
Cheers!
Nico
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

HOLY HANDBRAKE, BATMAN!
Sorry, having new issues, and during the Search found out I didn't close this thread correctly!
As it turns out, the ignition switch wasn't the issue at all. The wire for the fuel solenoid was loose! I redid the wire end with a new shoe, and now it works just fine!
The ignition switch was a red herring.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Then, as we get close to Burg Frankenstein, the van begins to hesitate.

I'm guessing that one of you was sneezing at the time, and it sounded a bit like this:

"Frau-Blücher!"

Link
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Hesitation While Driving Reply with quote

Well, good news and bad news.
I was in the shop all day yesterday, and got a few things done.
First, on the way to the shop, the van demonstrated to very same symptoms from our holiday.
So, I dropped the skid plate, Loosened the turbo, and stuck the missing gasket in (I didn't have it in time for the Holiday), and the one for the exhaust as well.
I took out the engine carrier on the intake side so I could mount the Brickwerks intake. Um, it didn't fit.... (I'm running a K-24 turbo, not the stock K-14)
The outer diameter of the intake hose and the outer diameter of the turbo matched.
Also, the bypass hose would be pushed right up against the exhaust.
(Just an aside- Yes, I firmly believe it was the rubber elbow collapsing. When I removed it, you could see where it had collapsed around the metal bit I had stuck in there!)
So, in a fit of desperation, I cut the Brickwerks hose up, used plenty of WD40, and stuck the silicone hose inside the rubber bits.
I did this for the lower elbow and also the upper elbow from the air cleaner.
Also, I changed my engine and transmission oils. I am using two magnetic plugs, and I don't like the look of either of them:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The one on the right is the fill plug, left is the drain.
I last did this in December.
Anyway, I drove home the same way (40km of Autobahn), and I have to say, the problem was solved. I was able to get top speed from all four gears, I had plenty of power, and saw no black smoke at full throttle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: