Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

412 power brakes?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: 412 power brakes? Reply with quote

Does anyone have pictures of the factory power brake setup? I’ve heard this actually existed. Just curious. Have my mom’s 73 412 wagon that I want to restore in the not too distant future.
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 power brakes? Reply with quote

I will post a few links you should read tnrough about this in the am.

First....its not simple. It requires a range of parts that are almost non-existent in North America ...and will need h9les in the chassis etc.

The brake master cylinder is actually common in NOS cylinders....but NOS cylinxers are generally junk from age. There are sberal power units that will fit with little issue. The issue is the relay lever assembly and brske pedal cluster.

That....and the power brakea do not stop the car any faster thsn non power brakes. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 power brakes? Reply with quote

Hi Ray,
Please don’t bother yourself about posting stuff on power brake install. I was looking for info from the factory or in sales brochures from VW about a power brake option...if that even existed. Seems to me I heard about this once. Gonna keep my mom’s 73 412 wagon stock.
Thanks, Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 power brakes? Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Hi Ray,
Please don’t bother yourself about posting stuff on power brake install. I was looking for info from the factory or in sales brochures from VW about a power brake option...if that even existed. Seems to me I heard about this once. Gonna keep my mom’s 73 412 wagon stock.
Thanks, Bill

Oh for sure it was a factory option! The factory M code was M506.

The pedal cluster had a modification that could be installed on any of the pedal cluster units, and there was a pre-stamped area in the firewall that get punched out and tje power unit and master cylinder were in the trunk and driven by a longer pushrod. They also had a differdnt fluid reservoir. The rest of the brakea....lines calipers....wheel cylinders were the same.
Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 power brakes? Reply with quote

You have confirmed that for me! I just wanted to know that for sure...just some knowledge about the car that is fun to know. Have you ever seen a factory power brake in a real live 411/412? Pictures would be fun.
Thanks,
Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 power brakes? Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
You have confirmed that for me! I just wanted to know that for sure...just some knowledge about the car that is fun to know. Have you ever seen a factory power brake in a real live 411/412? Pictures would be fun.
Thanks,
Bill

I have never seen one in person....and I have probably seen more 411/412 thand most people in North America. And to be precise....."Central North America". Wink

Because Canada had quite a few more "Gray market" cars shipped in with standard options from other countries.....it seems more than a,few had power brakes north of us.

But....as I noted....i will post a couple of links for you. A couple of people here have factory power brakes....and one peraon.....classiccamper.....installed the whole factory set up with NOS parts.
Outside of drilling one hole.....its a bolt on transition. Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 power brakes? Reply with quote

Any commonality with the Bus power brake components?
412STi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 power brakes? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Pepperbilly wrote:
Thanks,
Bill

I have never seen one in person....and I have probably seen more 411/412 thand most people in North America. And to be precise....."Central North America". Wink

Because Canada had quite a few more "Gray market" cars shipped in with standard options from other countries.....it seems more than a,few had power brakes north of us.

But....as I noted....i will post a couple of links for you. A couple of people here have factory power brakes....and one peraon.....classiccamper.....installed the whole factory set up with NOS parts.
Outside of drilling one hole.....its a bolt on transition. Ray

Hello

Here some pics for you.
Not the best, but you can see a little bit of its mounting, and the ATE-number.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The oil can not be, was none in it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 power brakes? Reply with quote

Thwnk you Gerold!.

Ad ai noted au wull also post links to a couple of the direct discyssiin threads that had pictures of the components....but cannot do so until tomorrow. I'm working.

To answer KTPhil.....no....there is very little bus similarity . It will become clear when ai post tbe links. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 power brakes? Reply with quote

Guten Tag Gerold,

Thanks for posting the pictures for the power brake setup. That is the first time I have seen this...very rare!
As a kid in the 60's and 70's I would spend summer school vacations in Miltenberg am Main, my mother's home town. So beautiful! That was a big deal for me being an American from Seattle. Still visit from time to time...good memories.

Dankeschoen
Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: