Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cam Replacement T4
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

This question has come up many times during rebuilds.

To clear the oil pump on a T4 engine the cam gear must be milled so the bolts that replace the rivets sit deeper. Then the bolts must have a special thin head to clear the pump. The first photo is of the two different kinds of bolts commonly available - I find the flat ones clear better. Red Loctite on clean non-oiled threads is used to make sure the bolts hold. The other photos show the cam milling.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Red Loctite on clean non-oiled threads is used to make sure the bolts hold.

I couldn't see the washers under the bolts in your photos. Are they simple split lock washers?
I had some porcupine star lock washers on the Road Warror that bit the cam gear about 20 different places around each bolt.
Colin

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

After a long hard think thru and knowledge that star and split washers bring the cam bolts closer to the oil pump, and that some have a tendency to break after time, the decision was made to go without washers, and to be sure the red Loctite was in there good. I just didn't trust the star washers. I might have found circular high grade internal star washers or spring washers to go under it, but I do remember that I chose not to use the external stars. As you may know rods don't take washers, nor do main caps on many engines. I did make sure that the bolts were torqued to what the engineering handbooks specify to get the correct stretch with some allowance for Loctite. I understood why VW chose rivets for that spot.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

The new Web Cam kit for bolting gears to their stock and performance camshafts included the thin profile hex bolts, and the 20-point star washers Colin speaks of.

For the record, many modern tools are sent with a deep "chamfer" around the inside of the socket walls to facilitate getting the socket on bolt heads. This chamfer is sometimes so pronounced, that the tool can not effectively grab the walls of the thin profile hex nuts for final torquing. (The same goes for the 14mm valve adjusting lock nuts on later Type 4 engines.)

For these applications, I have had to grind down the socket about 3mm with a bench or angle grinder. (vvolfbus, do you have a picture of our handy creation?) Doing this makes it a fraction of a percent harder to get the socket on the fastener, but precision work doesn't allow for wrench slippage.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

I have seen the star washers. Don't trust them. I have both 6 and 12 point socket sets, and thin wall sets. Usually one of them will fit. Rimco did the milling on my cam gears when Ed owned them. The bolts were torqued. I let them set a week then applied a force to see how well they held. They were near impossible to loosen. Then I removed them, cleaned everything up and did it again. I might have even peened the back side with a stake when I was finally done, that would be my style.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

Have the cam gear properly milled, low profile hex bolts, no washers, red loctite, clearance the protruding bolt threads on the back side of the cam gear, center punch the back side of cam gear bolts. Done. This allows for the needed clearance for a type 1 pump in a type 4 case. So if you had a properly modified type one pump with the correct gears you could go from the type 4 pump to a type 1 pump if you had to and vice versa if type 1 pump is causing issues.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

I'm hoping this picture might help someone visualize how to remove a cam gear without damaging it. Grind the rivets off from the back and do not drill them out. With the head of the rivet ground off they just punch out.

CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

I might have even peened the back side with a stake when I was finally done, that would be my style.[/quote]

I will strongly agree. Peening is possibly the next best thing to rivets. Too important to ignore. Lots of insurance here.
gerald79westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

Currently about to get Cam gear milled. How much does everyone take off ? Without star washers I could get away with grinding a small amount off the studs on oil pump and should clear but would rather have gear milled .
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

The old Rimco did all of mine. Can't say how much.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

I hope this question adds to the discussion. I think it comes up a lot. I used a webcam kit with their gear, thread locker, bolts and star washers. I don't remember anything special about the bolts but could probably scrounge a photo.

I am currently running a CB performance maxi pump and plan to change it for a stock pump. The pump to cam bolt clearance is something I was unaware of when assembling my engine.

Obviously the bolts aren't hitting the oil pump boss at this point , though I am aware of the issues when the cam thrust bearing surface starts to wear and end play increases.

I will be installing a rebuilt stock pump and was wondering if there was a quick and dirty way to measure the boss to bolt clearance before installing the pump. (To at least ballpark it) before installing the pump and checking it more closely with putty. I'm also not sure how to check it with putty as I have never done this. I have learned to ask questions about obvious things because I no longer underestimate my ability to fuck it up completely.

The other question is about removing material from the idler shaft boss. I have heard that it can make it more likely for the shaft to move out of the pump body. That makes sense as there is less material holding the shaft in place. But what about those pumps where the shafts are deep in the pump body and its obvious they were made that way. I would assume that you could take a lot of material off the boss because it's not exerting any force on the idler shaft. But you know what they say about assuming...

Thank you.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

you can see it when assembling. Just lay the cam and the pump in and spin it. If it is already assembled and you are swapping the pump, align a bolt head with where the pump's highest spot is relative to the cam bolt heads and use a piece of modeling clay to get the depth. Spinning it will knock the clay off so do it statically.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes it is assembled. It’s pretty much what I thought it was
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

Damn it! I am late again. It is critical to factor-in the maximum allowable camshaft endplay of .006". You can have an acceptable tolerance today on the test stand, but in 15,000 miles, you don't want to get plagued by weird clattering.
I think I aimed for a minimum of .020" clearance between the bolts and the pump WITH the camshaft pushed rearward.
Colin

Last edited by Amskeptic on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

Damn it! I am late again. It is critical to factor-in the maximum allowable camshaft endplay of .006". You can have an acceptable tolerance today on the test stand, but in 15,000 miles, you don't to get plagued by weird clattering.
I think I aimed for a minimum of .020" clearance between the bolts and the pump WITH the camshaft pushed rearward.
Colin

Thanks. I would try to shoot for a generous clearance either way. My biggest worry is actually removing the stock oil pump while checking. Maybe my trouble with this was a freak thing. I have never seen another thread about having problems with this. Next time I will: slacken the adjacent case bolts, remove the engine mounts and remove it more gently.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

I think mine was somewhere arpund.125". I went with the flat bolts, red Loctite and no star washer.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
you don't want to get plagued by weird clattering.

Exclamation

What’s That Noise?!?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

About .080" with machined hex cap screws on aftermarket new cam gears is as little as you want to have for cam gear to pump boss clearance.

This is actually pretty easy to get with a stock pump. As SGKent notes......125"with buttonheads should not be hard to get either.

Although .045" to .050" is plenty even if the cam thrust fails and you get real slop.....its nice to have as much as you can easily get.
I say this because....make damn sure the stock pump nuts and your cam bolts are vwry secufely locktighted and held in. If one ever backs out.....the extra clearance may save your engine.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
...As you may know rods don't take washers, nor do main caps on many engines.

True, but none of those fasteners are applied to anything soft, like aluminum or magnesium.

SGKent wrote:
I understood why VW chose rivets for that spot.

Question Is there a rivet option at this date?

While consideration of the star and/or split lock washer issue is important, I have a feeling that the steel fastener applied to the cast aluminum gear would be improved if the torque was spread over more surface area. Is the surface area where fastener meets gear less prone to damage with a wavy/spring washer as opposed to star washers? Would that type of locking washer distribute the torque onto the cast aluminum surface area more uniformly? Barring the use of a lock washer, it still seems prudent to me to ensure the applied torque from the steel fastener to the cast aluminum is spread out as far as possible.

Yes, I know the height of the bolt would be raised by this, and that is addressed by shallow bolt heads or reduced material of the gear. Would Grade 8 fasteners be needed if shallow bolt heads are used?

asiab3 wrote:
The new Web Cam kit for bolting gears to their stock and performance camshafts included the thin profile hex bolts, and the 20-point star washers Colin speaks of.

Any reported issues with this arrangement?

asiab3 wrote:
...For the record, many modern tools are sent with a deep "chamfer" around the inside of the socket walls to facilitate getting the socket on bolt heads. This chamfer is sometimes so pronounced, that the tool can not effectively grab the walls of the thin profile hex nuts for final torquing. (The same goes for the 14mm valve adjusting lock nuts on later Type 4 engines.)

I cannot visualize using a socket on valve adjusters. How do you keep the screw from turning while tightening it down?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Replacement T4 Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

asiab3 wrote:

Any reported issues with this arrangement?

Not yet, but the Type 1 built with it only has about 4,500 miles so far.

asiab3 wrote:
...For the record, many modern tools are sent with a deep "chamfer" around the inside of the socket walls to facilitate getting the socket on bolt heads. This chamfer is sometimes so pronounced, that the tool can not effectively grab the walls of the thin profile hex nuts for final torquing. (The same goes for the 14mm valve adjusting lock nuts on later Type 4 engines.)

I cannot visualize using a socket on valve adjusters. How do you keep the screw from turning while tightening it down?[/quote]

I didn't mean sockets exclusively; all modern offset box wrenches I've seen have this chamfer, which rounds off late T4 valve adjuster nuts in seconds. I have been known to memorize screw slot orientation, then use a socket to break free adjusters on engines that absolutely will not safely break free with a box wrench. Though on the shallow T4 cam gear bolt heads, it might be worth buying an extra socket to grind down a few millimeters for better grip.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: