Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing steering flex disk with ujoint coupler
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing steering flex disk with ujoint coupler Reply with quote

Also,

I had earlier tried to remove the rag joint from the box and could not get it to budge. Been on there a long time and seems to have become very attached. How do I break that thing loose without beating hell out of the box shaft?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing steering flex disk with ujoint coupler Reply with quote

rbucklin wrote:
Funny you guys bring ou the collapsible joint breaking.... Went through the turning intersection, turned the wheel and the car went straight. Yup, the collapsible joint gave way. Had it gone two minutes earlier it would have been at 40mph+ on windy, narrow tree lined island roads.

So, should I cut that piece out? I have more steering shaft I can put together to replace that joint.

Sounds like you already had your freebie warning. Next time it lets go chances are you won't be as lucky
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing steering flex disk with ujoint coupler Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419666

Exactly what my fears are.
I have three buggies and the Thing and the thing is the only One with the collapsible column . I think I’m going to change that .

AMAC
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing steering flex disk with ujoint coupler Reply with quote

I still have one of the earlier model shafts with blinker and wheel even that are just perfect for these cars (well other than the tilt columns which I absolutely LOVE!).

I keep holding onto it hoping I will do another build.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing steering flex disk with ujoint coupler Reply with quote

rbucklin wrote:
Also,

I had earlier tried to remove the rag joint from the box and could not get it to budge. Been on there a long time and seems to have become very attached. How do I break that thing loose without beating hell out of the box shaft?

Lots of "loose juice" (penetrating oil) then use gear puller....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing steering flex disk with ujoint coupler Reply with quote

The very best penetrating fluid is home brewed...
Mix ATF and acetone 50/50. I can't quote the report but a university engineering study found that if worked FAR better than anything commercially available.
The downside is it evaporates very quickly so mix in small batches.
Let us know how it works.

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: