Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2024
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Nelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

What is the easiest, cheapest, best
way to communicate with the USA
from the Baja ?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

Still a cell phone. Coverage is excellent. You can bring your own or get a prepaid, buy a sim card there if you want to, or coordinate coverage with your carrier.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Nelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

thank you Corwyn,

Sounds good!
In fact, I was thinking of buying 2 cheap tracfones?
with prepaid mexican sim chips.

Would this work?
I was thinking that this would keep my regular cell phones
out of the mix.

Also, sorry to hear your dog is ill !
my son's dog also has advanced diabetes,
and it's tough to keep it in check.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

We use ATT. It works through TELCEL towers. Our plan (which I'm not sure is available anymore) lets us call the USA just like a regular phone call. Check with ATT to see what plan is available now.

Here is a link to a bajanomad thread discussing phone service in Baja. It might help, or just confuse you.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91936&page=2
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

You can bring your own phone and by a Telcel SIM card, or buy a Telcel phone in Baja, with their SIM card. Either way, the coverage is good.

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derkm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

Planning on attending this year as a newbie. Been only as far as Rosarito beach before but car caravan baja sounds good.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

Corwyn,

We're heading south out of Salt Lake. After some dental work on Mon. in Algodonas, we'll head down Hwy 5.

I hope to see your group down there, we'll probably be around Loreto. We will be in our '08 white Dodge w/FourWheel pop up camper and Ruger trailer. I'll be driving slower this year after wrecking the trailer last year.

Drive safe!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your dog's problems. I'm sure you'll both get on top of it though. Wink

On another note - good luck with the gas shortages in Mexico. I heard today (hearsay on another forum) that Baja has reserves for about 8 more days, so in better shape than most of the mainland.

We'll be thinking of you lot on the 5th Feb while we're on a 110cc motorcycle tour of West Africa[1] - but maybe next year we'll have the huge pleasure of joining in again. Smile

[1] http://scootwestafrica.com/dakar-to-bissau-2-weeks/
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

On another note - good luck with the gas shortages in Mexico. I heard today (hearsay on another forum) that Baja has reserves for about 8 more days, so in better shape than most of the mainland.

/

Do you remember which forum?
I thought we were immune down here because there is none of the pipeline infrastructure to begin with.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
fxr wrote:

/

Do you remember which forum?

http://modernvespa.com/forum/post2296843#2296843
Quote:

I thought we were immune down here because there is none of the pipeline infrastructure to begin with.

I guess it still depends on the supply chain from the 'mainland' though. But fingers crossed!
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

There is a PEMEX refinery north of La Paz, so I have no concerns . . .

~ Captain Ron ~
Bob Nelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

Another question if I may?

Is it better to buy enough Pesos' in the USA to get things rolling?

Or, just as easy to wait until a bank or ATM
is found in Mexico?

Thanks,
Bob
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

I usually change $200 at the border. There are plenty of ATMs which will accept your card and spit out Pesos. I have seen a few Canadians, whose ATM card is not VISA or MC endorsed, have a problem at the ATMs in Baja.

~ Captain Ron ~
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

I usually change my cash money to pesos in Ensenada. There are a bunch of Cambio kiosks along the route through town. I've used lots of them over the years. For longer trips I use an ATM card periodically as I go but I try to only use machines at Banks and during bank hours if possible.

Mark
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

This year the exchange rate was way better on the american side in Calexico than anywhere else, less than half a peso and closer to a quarter peso difference from the up to the minute exchange rate as per google.
I like to get a few hundred dollars worth at least before crossing the border so I can pay for my FMM in pesos and have enough to carry me through all the crap my bank puts me through EVERY %$#$%amn year when I try to use my ATM card for the first time. No amount of calling them in advance and having them record my out of the country dates seems to do any good at all.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

I have had no problems getting fuel and have not heard of any such problems this year.
Come on down folks , the water is warm.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

I'm in Tucson until 2 Feb, then to Yuma for one night and on to Potrero . . .

~ Captain Ron ~
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

I am in Tucson, awaiting new axles from GW. Will not be at Potrero until the evening of the 4th. I have two friends that are coming in with me: Jay and Michelle in a high top Dodge van and Myron and Noreen in a dark blue Ford pickup with an older popup camper on it. They all came to Baja last year, so introduce yourself and make small talk until I arrive Smile See you soon!

~ Captain Ron ~
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

Unfortunately ill have to come another year. Hve fun guys!

Heres Ensenada last week at la bufadora:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally (Next: Feb. 5, 2019) Reply with quote

Unfortunately ill have to come another year. Hve fun guys!

Heres Ensenada last week at la bufadora:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 38

Jump to: