Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering a Bay FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 225, 226, 227 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevenb83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

I tried to glance through the mile long thread, but figured it’d be easy to just ask. I’ve got a 70 bus, what’s the options for drop spindles to be able to still keep the drum brakes? I’m trying to lower it and not have to change out to disc brakes, or spend a ton of money. Thanks in advance.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Stevenb83 wrote:
I tried to glance through the mile long thread, but figured it’d be easy to just ask. I’ve got a 70 bus, what’s the options for drop spindles to be able to still keep the drum brakes? I’m trying to lower it and not have to change out to disc brakes, or spend a ton of money. Thanks in advance.

Nate makes early bay drop spindles for stock drum brakes. I am sure others do to. I know the heading says 73-79, but within the page text it mentions 68-70 versions with drum brakes.

http://wagenswest.com/product/1973-79-dropped-2-5-inch-spindles/
Francoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

I have a dumb question. I've been entertaining the idea of getting the 2.5" drop spindles for the front and lowering the rear by turning the torsion bars. The thing is, when I crawl under the rear suspension, the "cup" on the spring plate is maybe 1" from the rubber bump stop. The cup is maybe half way down the length of the arm, and it seems that if I were to lower it, say, 2 inches, they would be touching already. Can you lower the rear 2" and not be riding on the bump stops? What am I missing?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Francoc wrote:
I have a dumb question. I've been entertaining the idea of getting the 2.5" drop spindles for the front and lowering the rear by turning the torsion bars. The thing is, when I crawl under the rear suspension, the "cup" on the spring plate is maybe 1" from the rubber bump stop. The cup is maybe half way down the length of the arm, and it seems that if I were to lower it, say, 2 inches, they would be touching already. Can you lower the rear 2" and not be riding on the bump stops? What am I missing?

You may have to remove or modify the bump stop, depends on how low you go.
72firebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I have a question. I have a 72 Riviera camper and I want to lower it with 2.5" drop spindles up front and 3.25" horseshoes in the rear. I also have a set of original 15x5 RDW wheels that I am thinking about running, but I will have to use adapters. What size tire would you recommend and will I have any issues with clearance due to the adapters?
Thanks!
juancho_clasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Hello, i´m from Venezuela, i have a 72 baywindows bought last year, it´s my daily driver and i want to go a little bit lower, because the crisi in my country i dont have money to buy parts for my bus, but doing some research i think i´ve found what i need to do, my question is how good is this for a daily driver?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is my bus stock, right now is in my friend´s garage, we are doing the transmission and begin the process og lower her, any comments?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to my untrained eye, but I would definitely add a gusset to the back side of the area you had to clearance for the upper link pin.

Like this...

juancho_clasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Looks pretty good to my untrained eye, but I would definitely add a gusset to the back side of the area you had to clearance for the upper link pin.

Like this...

Great idea!!! thanks! definitely going to do that!
zwartePiets
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Installed a WagensWest Beam last year, I have always has a clunck in the front end and now see I have about a .25" play in the center pin. The pitman arm is seated in right with the bolt in the correct location . I am missing something? Any thoughts?

bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Do you have all the hardware installed between the upper end of the pin boss and pitman arm? There should be another thrust washer, upside down cup with inner plastic sealing ring, then o ring. When all this is installed you also need to clamp the pitman down into position whilst tightening the bolt, then peene over the locking tabs.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Considering poor stocking and badly run business practices at wagons west...

What’s the opinion here of vintage v dubs lowering kits?

http://www.vintagev-dubs.com/shop/dump-my-bay-full-lowering-kit-bay-window-bus-68-79/

Decent? Better or worse then empi?

I know Nate makes the best, but I have a couple other factors here like time and shipping etc for a customer.

Thanks guys!

Also, remind me, I forgot....what’s the lowest drop without heavy mods to body and framework front and rear?

Thanks!

Project is a 71 westy.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

71 bus. I’m probably going to buy Wagenswest slam bay 4” beam. A couple questions.

I’m not going to go crazy low. Just the 4” beam adjusted all the way or almost all the way down. Rear will be 3.5” drop horse shoes. No adjustments in rear.

1. I want to use 17” x 7” wheels. Will these work with low profile tires? Any reason to go 15” rim instead?

2. Will I have to chop metal? I’m not opposed to it. I’ll probably notch rear frame regardless.

What details am I missing? Never dropped any of my busses and looking to do it on this bus to do something different (for me).
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

This is the drop spindles and horshoe plates. Easy job and cheaper then a front beam. I barely got the rear wheels on but it’s possible without deflating the tire. Owner and I are looking into 15” or bigger to be able to fit them over the rear brakes during wheel install.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
71 bus. I’m probably going to buy Wagenswest slam bay 4” beam. A couple questions.

I’m not going to go crazy low. Just the 4” beam adjusted all the way or almost all the way down. Rear will be 3.5” drop horse shoes. No adjustments in rear.

1. I want to use 17” x 7” wheels. Will these work with low profile tires? Any reason to go 15” rim instead?

2. Will I have to chop metal? I’m not opposed to it. I’ll probably notch rear frame regardless.

What details am I missing? Never dropped any of my busses and looking to do it on this bus to do something different (for me).

We cannot guess if your 17" wheels will work or not, because you did not list the offset. You can use math, and a measuring tape on your bus to figure out if they will work. IMO, 17's do not look good on buses without extensive tubs, cutting, etc. Unless you like Donks.

If you're only using 3.25" plates in the rear, with no spring plate adjustments, why are you going to notch the frame?

You are probably not going to fit 17x7s in the rear, regardless of offset. The track is too wide, and is only increased by the 3.25 plates. The 4.5" plates that Wagens West makes narrow the rear track, and you may be able to squeeze some on with those. Otherwise you'll be looking at narrowing the torsion housing

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
This is the drop spindles and horshoe plates. Easy job and cheaper then a front beam. I barely got the rear wheels on but it’s possible without deflating the tire. Owner and I are looking into 15” or bigger to be able to fit them over the rear brakes during wheel install.

Is that thing tug boating? Yea, obviously an easier/ cheaper job, but your're basically relegated to stock wheels, with no adjustability. Apples and oranges
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Agreed, the comparison is invalid on my part, but I just happened to do that all last night so thought the pic with the rear would be helpful. Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Agreed, the comparison is invalid on my part, but I just happened to do that all last night so thought the pic with the rear would be helpful. Wink

What 15" wheels are you looking to put on there? Good luck finding any that tuck in the same, if not more than the stock 14"s. Anything with a lower offset than stock is only going to make your problem worse, especially since you've increased the track with the horseshoe plates. Depending on whos spindles you used, you more than likely increased the front track as well. But i'm sure you already knew that. Wink wink, nudge nudge

DOPE

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Laughing he’ll no. That look ain’t happening! Haha

Maybe steelies (Passat et 37) maybe VW heritage rims (very wide yes) just hadn’t looked around yet. Owner said he likes the look of the riviera alloys. Not sure yet.

Wagens west all around, 2.5” drop fronts and 3.5 rear.

Owner understands stance fairly well...hes a Honda tuner too... Wink

I’ll post pics as we come up with a look. Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
busmania wrote:

We cannot guess if your 17" wheels will work or not, because you did not list the offset. You can use math, and a measuring tape on your bus to figure out if they will work. IMO, 17's do not look good on buses without extensive tubs, cutting, etc. Unless you like Donks.

If you're only using 3.25" plates in the rear, with no spring plate adjustments, why are you going to notch the frame?

You are probably not going to fit 17x7s in the rear, regardless of offset. The track is too wide, and is only increased by the 3.25 plates. The 4.5" plates that Wagens West makes narrow the rear track, and you may be able to squeeze some on with those. Otherwise you'll be looking at narrowing the torsion housing

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Is that thing tug boating? Yea, obviously an easier/ cheaper job, but your're basically relegated to stock wheels, with no adjustability. Apples and oranges

Thanks. I am looking at these wheels. It says “et42” for offset. Thoughts?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C32%2DBR1B%2D17MB

I’ll probably notch the rear so that I can go lower if I want. Can I go with the 4.5” rear horse shoe instead of 3.5” and not have to adjust the rear splines and get an extra inch of drip?

Also, being a 71, do I have to upgrade to the later disc brake calipers and pads?

Thanks everyone.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

busmania wrote:

Thanks. I am looking at these wheels. It says “et42” for offset. Thoughts?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C32%2DBR1B%2D17MB

I’ll probably notch the rear so that I can go lower if I want. Can I go with the 4.5” rear horse shoe instead of 3.5” and not have to adjust the rear splines and get an extra inch of drip?

Also, being a 71, do I have to upgrade to the later disc brake calipers and pads?

Thanks everyone.

It really is going to come down to how low you want the bus/ how far you want the wheels to tuck up in the wheel wells. The lower you go in the front, the trickier it will be to maintain your steering radius. You'll likely have to go narrower than 4" to clear the dogleg if you go relatively low. Maybe find some pics of what you like, and we can tell you what's needed to get there.

Remember with the 4.5" plates, you'll have to cut the upper bump stop mount off of your torsion housing. You will definitely have to notch for CV clearance, as well.

No, you can get dropped spindles for your '71 brakes, no need to "upgrade"
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

I’d like something like this. Page 202 in this thread. Maybe I’ll just go 15” wheel to start. I can’t tell if this one is tubbed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 225, 226, 227 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 226 of 235

Jump to: