Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

I just want to be sure on the proper rear engine seal for my 1970 bus. Parts guy says it takes 705A but I removed a 705B from the bus. There seems to be a larger than normal gap between engine tin on left and right. Does sheet metal need to be adjusted ?
I'm hoping that when I lower bus back to ground my front engine tin will seal properly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

Your picture of 705a looks correct for a 68-71 bus. The bug engine compartment metal is slightly higher, so bugs need the drop down 705d to compensate. Good luck finding a seal that curves to the rear apron properly. Leaving it out in the sun, or in a pot of hot water (removed from heat) can soften it up enough to make installation easy. It will be slid in from the sides, so make sure your body seal channels aren't smashed in anywhere.

Speaking of bugs, it looks like your front (front of car) firewall tin is shaped for a bug and not a bus, see the difference?

Here is a bug tin:

Here is a bus tin, which is a bug tin with extra metal attached at the factory:

Thank you, MonkeySee for the photos.

You won't burn up anything immediately with the bug front tin, but I wouldn't go on a long road trip without getting the compartment sealed up.

See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jack_O_Trades
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

Correct me if I’m wrong but the bus firewall tin for the doghouse cooler was only available for 71, if you go looking for it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

Jack_O_Trades wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong but the bus firewall tin for the doghouse cooler was only available for 71, if you go looking for it.

Correct, though many of us get by with careful measuring and Dremel work on the 68-70 bus tins. Cool

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

mcrum4421 wrote:
I just want to be sure on the proper rear engine seal for my 1970 bus.

Feel free to grab that left engine compartment sheet metal and bend it such that the channel for the seal is perpendicular and the diagonal section is a straight. It looks like yours got good and bent up during prior r&rs.

By the way, I use a Type 4 engine foam seal and love it.
Colin

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
......... many of us get by with careful measuring and Dremel work on the 68-70 bus tins. Cool ...

And others modify the more plentiful beetle tin by adding the sheet metal ears, pop rivets or screws and basic roof flashing even works for those without the big tools and skills. Wink

That B seal is for later bugs (74+ I think, or maybe 75+ FI?), you want the A style for a 71 bus.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm going to stick with the 705A. It looks like its going to seal better. Looking for a bus tin now through salvage yards. (BustedBus.com) This beetle tin is not something that I can modify myself. (asiab3 that looks almost factory) Kind of disappointed in the fact that I was sold a part that doesn't really fit. My fault for not knowing but Ill deal with it.

Amskeptic- Type 4 engine foam. Really?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

mcrum4421 wrote:

Amskeptic- Type 4 engine foam. Really?

Try to install the new aftermarket rubber in the curved apron section and you might go that way too. The new seals don't curve well at all, which is why I mentioned heating it up in my first post. Wink

Robbie
Jack_O_Trades
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

I made the same mistake in getting a bug firewall tin when I went with the doghouse conversion on my engine. I didn't realize it until the engine was installed.

It sounds like this is more than what you want to do but I opted to modify my bug tin by adding additional material.

I still had the original tin from my 69 engine. Here you can see the difference between the bug tin with the cutout for the doghouse cooler (top) and the original tin without the cutout (bottom).

I used my original tin as a template to make a form from 3/4" particle wood

I then took a piece of .040" steel sheet and started creating a flange around the top edge pounding it against the wooden form

Here are the pieces being test fitted

I then went to trim off the excess material

I then welded up the additional tin to the bug tin, painted and installed. For some reason, I think I did this with the engine installed but I had to lower the engine (maybe took the mustache bar off).

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

Jack-O-Trades, nice work on making that tin conversion!

I doubt a newbie would enjoy getting that tin and the doghouse ductwork installed with the engine in, but it's nice to hear that it's doable.

Your friend in Safety Shoes,
Robbie
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

Thank you Jack_O_Trades for sharing your work. BustedBus has one for non doghouse cooler. If the overall dimensions are the same I may purchase to get outside dimensions and go from there. I have a friend that's a pretty good sheet metal guy and I'm gonna check to see if he can replicate this using your pics. (If you don't mind)
Jack_O_Trades
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Engine Seal 705A or 705B Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Jack-O-Trades, nice work on making that tin conversion!

I doubt a newbie would enjoy getting that tin and the doghouse ductwork installed with the engine in, but it's nice to hear that it's doable.

Your friend in Safety Shoes,
Robbie

Thanks!

mcrum4421 wrote:
Thank you Jack_O_Trades for sharing your work. BustedBus has one for non doghouse cooler. If the overall dimensions are the same I may purchase to get outside dimensions and go from there. I have a friend that's a pretty good sheet metal guy and I'm gonna check to see if he can replicate this using your pics. (If you don't mind)

No worries, my idea's not even original, I copied off of someone else. Whatever it takes to get that engine bay sealed up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: