Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME???
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

So I have this '60 mango severely rusted bus sitting in my shop collecting dust and rather than spend years trying to cut and weld it back into shape ( custom left hand cargo with a barndoor lid ) I could just splice on an old trailer and make it a motorhome... thoughts???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

Here is the candidate. When I brought it home and now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what you skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
VWTortuga336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

I think you should sell it to me and buy a bus that is already a camper.

I wouldn't attempt a motorhome conversion on that!
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

mango motorhome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

I've got the skills and see the motorhome option to be alot less work than "fixing" the bus. The whole rear of the bus has sprayfaom all over it and is rotted from the inside out. The cab is really the best part.
dred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

"MANGOHOME" !
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

do it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

I'm getting this trailer to splice onto the mango
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

Cool project! I say go for it and please give us regular updates. I for one would love to see the progress and final product.

Too bad you don't live closer, I'd be interested in the culled rear section.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
do it!

Splotch that patina onto the added portion to keep people here satiated.
dred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

Finally got the trailer to my shop yesterday, in the pouring rain! Spending today cleaning it out.

Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

that should be interesting.

always loved the few that already exist.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

DO IT! Laughing
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

Yes. Do it. But you'll mainly be using the skin, windows, and hardware of that trailer, not just slapping it on the bus... It's crazy how flimsy the old campers are. I'm hoping to do this to a crappy 64 that I have.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

So what's the plan? Putting in a new rear frame with a stock engine / transaxle and attaching the frame to the trailer shell?

If I were going to the trouble to recreate a new rear frame, I'd restore the bus.
Same work, bigger reward.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
dred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

The plan is to just use the cab of the bus. Trailer has a pretty stout frame under it already. For rear suspension I have a bay window section. I figured this will require more power so subie 6cyl is on standby.
dred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

The back half of this bus is total trash. My original plan was to make a fake barndoor. But I think it's still too crusty for that. Every panel would need to be replaced.

Spray foam killed it.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

I say do it.

However, as mentioned, using that trailer will pose some problems.
It may be easier to make your own structure and skin it as they did here.:

https://youtu.be/oHQSQGBylk8

Good luck, I'll be watching.
Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
dred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I convert my crusty MANGO w/t into a MOTORHOME??? Reply with quote

Project on hold... gonna focus on my 67hibus for a bit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: