Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing Axle Tube Retainer o ring seal
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Swing Axle Tube Retainer o ring seal Reply with quote

Anybody know where I can get part #4 in the picture below?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I tried using gasket sealant but maybe I did not apply it correctly.
Any others suggestions for sealing this transmission side plate for the axle tubes?

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This style of axle tube retainer is different that the one pictured below..

Which happens to be on the driver's side of my bus, and does not leak!

What years had these different style retainers?

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392498&

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I use are 4-3/4" ID x 5" OD x 1/8" Dia. Buna-N

I get these locally from Fastenal. P/N 0480830
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less is more in the sealant department. Way too much in them there images. Better to lightly finger paint sealant onto the paper gaskets. Most of all MAKE SURE you have the correct amount of gaskets for shims!! Too little of play and the axle tube will crack, too much play and the retaining studs can get pulled out of the transaxle. Neither result you want to deal with on the side of the road if you even get there safely.....
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Ive read on here is make sure the flange is FLAT and I do mean flat all the way around it. Same as when reinstalling an oil pan. Tap the area around the holes back down flat if they are raised due to too much fastener torque. Thought I had this area conquered last time I did this and it still leaks but I didnt check to see if the flange was perfectly flat. Im using the colored empi boots and next time I will use F loads of sealant on the boots and finger it on the gaskets after I massage the holes.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always started out with three paper gaskets so one or two can be removed (ripped off) if there is too much play (better than the alternative of adding a gasket, which means either removing the tube to add one or cutting one and adding it). With an unwarped plate, I spread a thin layer of black Permatex gasket sealer, the type that comes in a tube, over the gaskets. When tightening the nuts (or bolts, I can't remember), I go back and forth a little at a time, like I would when tightening nuts on a cylinder head, to avoid warping the plate. I have never had a problem over the last 25 years using this method.
The axle boot is a dust cover and it is normal to have a little bit of oil get past the bell end of the axle tube and the "daisy" next to it, and into the axle boot.
nz fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
I've always started out with three paper gaskets so one or two can be removed (ripped off) if there is too much play (better than the alternative of adding a gasket, which means either removing the tube to add one or cutting one and adding it). With an unwarped plate, I spread a thin layer of black Permatex gasket sealer, the type that comes in a tube, over the gaskets. When tightening the nuts (or bolts, I can't remember), I go back and forth a little at a time, like I would when tightening nuts on a cylinder head, to avoid warping the plate. I have never had a problem over the last 25 years using this method.
The axle boot is a dust cover and it is normal to have a little bit of oil get past the bell end of the axle tube and the "daisy" next to it, and into the axle boot.
.....hi i have an AO gear box out of a 70+ karman is it right i dont need the o ring (4) ...and how much is to much/to little play when i put the paper gasket in ...cheers fish
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nz fish wrote:
.....hi i have an AO gear box out of a 70+ karman is it right i dont need the o ring (4) ...and how much is to much/to little play when i put the paper gasket in ...cheers fish

You want just enough gaskets so as to allow the axle tubes to flex up and down with very little drag. Any looser and the axle can pull out the retaining studs. Too tight and the axle tube can be forced to flex and crack open.
nz fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
nz fish wrote:

You want just enough gaskets so as to allow the axle tubes to flex up and down with very little drag. Any looser and the axle can pull out the retaining studs. Too tight and the axle tube can be forced to flex and crack open.
....yea i just tried it and 2 gaskets and tight 4 to slack 3 seams ok ....thanks do you know about the o ring ?? ...cheers fish
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nz fish wrote:
....yea i just tried it and 2 gaskets and tight 4 to slack 3 seams ok ....thanks do you know about the o ring ?? ...cheers fish

Know about what is mentioned at the top of this page..
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle Tube Retainer o ring seal Reply with quote

What O-ring? I don't remember using any O-rings on the old bus transaxles I was assembling, over the years. In my bus Clymer shop manual there is nothing listed.l
nz fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
nz fish wrote:

Know about what is mentioned at the top of this page..

my gearbox is out of a 1970 Karman ghia when looking to order the o ring number 4 in the picture at top of page it says the o ring is for KG up to 1967 https://www.vwheritage.com/111501139-gearbox-axle-flange-o-ring-vw-spare should i just put one in anyway ...cheers fish
nz fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle Tube Retainer o ring seal Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
What O-ring? I don't remember using any O-rings on the old bus transaxles I was assembling, over the years. In my bus Clymer shop manual there is nothing listed.l
picture top of page no 4 ...cheers fish
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
What Ive read on here is make sure the flange is FLAT and I do mean flat all the way around it. Same as when reinstalling an oil pan. Tap the area around the holes back down flat if they are raised due to too much fastener torque. Thought I had this area conquered last time I did this and it still leaks but I didnt check to see if the flange was perfectly flat. Im using the colored empi boots and next time I will use F loads of sealant on the boots and finger it on the gaskets after I massage the holes.
Our '59 Transporter had terminal side flange leak. The problem wasn't the seals, it was the light-duty sheet metal side flanges, that weaken and warp with age.
Our solution was these Billet side flanges by Weddle Industries.

Overkill? You bet!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nz fish wrote:
...the o ring ?? ...cheers fish

If your side cover looks like this spaceship flying saucer with portholes then you use an o-ring and the red gaskets.

Make sure the trans center section has matching sides with the o-ring indent. Late '67 bus started with them.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle Tube Retainer o ring seal Reply with quote

Campy wrote:

Time for you to get the Bentley reprint of one or all of the "VW Transporter Workshop Manuals".
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle Tube Retainer o ring seal Reply with quote

The problem for me is the non-original parts swapping in my bus.
My transmission is from a newer year bug, engine from Mexico, and brake parts from a Type 3, so I have the Bentley manual but many times I have to refer to the forums for more info.

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle Tube Retainer o ring seal Reply with quote

I have Clymer and the reprint of the big manual. I better look at it.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle Tube Retainer o ring seal Reply with quote

don.ville wrote:
The problem for me is the non-original parts swapping in my bus.
My transmission is from a newer year bug, engine from Mexico, and brake parts from a Type 3, so I have the Bentley manual but many times I have to refer to the forums for more info.

Yes, this is a huge problem. I try to stay as stock as I can, but parts availability causes many failures in my quest. It is a major PITA to keep it all straight.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: