Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 426, 427, 428 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

stevespeirs wrote:
Fitted a rather nice glovebox from Wolfsburg West. Much prefer the fiberboard material to the more readily available black plastic.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211857101A

Also installed a silver socket just below the glove box. Read all about it @ http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SilverSocket.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can you tell us why you prefer the fiberboard version versus the plastic one?
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

Just prefer the look and originality of the fiberboard. The fit was excellent - no trimming required, unlike some of the aftermarket ABS gloveboxes.
Zambia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Wanted something like the club plagues from the 50's and 60's. Couldn't find what I wanted so decided I would start my own club. LOL, meetings at my house.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Zambia wrote:
Wanted something like the club plagues from the 50's and 60's. Couldn't find what I wanted so decided I would start my own club. LOL, meetings at my house.

lol hell yeah! Id join that club.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

looks cool Cool

I think there might be a club with that name. I think I've seen that somewhere before. Maybe you can be the NC branch of the national (global?) organization. Laughing

My 1968 Campmobile
Zambia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Picture of my first club meeting lol. I have had so many people come up to me over the new decal and tell me how much they like it. Or I see them in my review mirror pointing to it lol.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

stevespeirs wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

Just prefer the look and originality of the fiberboard. The fit was excellent - no trimming required, unlike some of the aftermarket ABS gloveboxes.

I have not been able to mount the black plastic one using the original strap, it's just too big around. I don't know what others do to address this, but I was all pissy about it last time I tried and eventually hit it with a lot of heat and re-shaped it around the middle to make it work. It's strapped in now, but the shape is pretty ridiculous.
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I decided to use the plastic glovebox replacement. It blends well with the rest of the dash and the fiberboard, although original, just seemed like it was destined to fail with time.

It was a tight fit, but like others have noted, the factory strap is too short to fasten the plastic glovebox in place. I used “plumber’s tape” as an extension and fastened it to the old strap with a rivet. Not the prettiest thing but it’s behind the dash and could be easily reversed by drilling out the rivet if a future owner wants to return to the fiberboard and use the old strap.

Zambia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Rearranged my middle seat and added a homemade longboard coffee table.
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

After three years of working on it, restoring it, cleaning it, fixing it, buying new parts for it, welding it, painting it, I finally got to the point where I could......

start it.

it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started. it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started.it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started.it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started.it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started.it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started.

I probably should go put the axles on now so you know actually drive it ^.^
73 Westy with a 411 engine (Finally Finished)
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Kabasue wrote:
After three years of working on it, restoring it, cleaning it, fixing it, buying new parts for it, welding it, painting it, I finally got to the point where I could......

start it.

it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started. it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started.it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started.it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started.it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started.it started, I started it, it started up, I made it start, the engine started, it actually started.

I probably should go put the axles on now so you know actually drive it ^.^

Awesome!!! What a great post! Nothing better than knowing you were responsible for making something work. Now imagine how incredible it’s going to feel to actually drive it?!?!

What are you waiting for??? Get out there, clean, repack and install those CV joints, so you can tell us how amazing the drive was!

Well done!

Enjoy!
sioux888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Just finished my parcel tray Very Happy

TurtsMcSlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

sioux888 wrote:

That looks awesome!!! Applause
sioux888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

TurtsMcSlow wrote:
sioux888 wrote:

That looks awesome!!! Applause

Hey! thanks a lot buddy
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

…Chopped up an early bay wiper switch for a relay-controlled electric washer system.

The microswitch controls a relay, which is hot all the time, so I may squirt when I please, as VW intended it.

I also realized my slider door sill was showing it's age. I've missed two years in a row of painting it, so I finally got around to that. Here's after filling the divots with the first coat of paint…

After the second coat:

And at the end:

Hit the wheel wells with a scrubbing and undercoat touch-up, replaced a blown fuse in my backup lights(?) and washed the rims. See you at BBB!!!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

sioux888 wrote:

Great job! I like the colour combination VW Logo

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Jean-Jaques Rousseau
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

The worst job I've done on my bus since 2016…

Front torsion leaf replacement. Thanks to Yarkle and 'Leb's reconnoissance, I was able to get the leaves installed by myself. What a miserable eight hours this was, though, with enough grease to eliminate half a box of Harbor Freight gloves…

Picking up the donor beam, going into Wanderglobe's bus tomorrow:

Screwing up the first of nineteen attempts at leaf installation before tripling up o my zip ties and backlighting…

And indexing the old leaves for anyone that wants to lower their bus with weak leaves and garbage handling:

Now I can set my wheel alignment, which for some reason has never allowed the proper positive camber in the front.

Interestingly enough, my pull during braking has also subsided. I wonder if the leafs were broken on one side, instead of in the middle as I thought. Too much grease to take apart the old ones right now…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcsheppard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I installed a pair of Arteb tail lights from Busdepot which fit like a glove. My only complaint is the difference in the running/blinker socket, but like somebody else said, you can reuse your old ones if you are set on using the smaller disconnects.

Installed all new exterior bulbs. I have owned this bus for ~9 years and have a license plate light for the first time! All tail and side lights are now luminous.

At some point I lost low beams on the right side, but highs worked fine, and left side was all good. When the bus was resprayed before it came into my possession, I think the connector was cut and the re-connect job was shoddy. 3 orange twist connects and a new 8a fuse, back in business.

All new fuses. Now I have a complete collection of fuses I'll never use because I only had the patience to find the set of "assorted german fuses" @ AutoZone. I have mostly 8a fuses, that's right, right?

And now, it wont turn over. It ran perfectly last month when I used it as a daily for 2 weeks. Actually, it's always ran well. I pulled the fuel pump connector off of the coil while I was working on it, and I think one or two of the other connectors. Now I'm not sure if I have them all back on the coil correctly. Fuel pump has power, I have all other elec *lights, radio, etc). The battery died during surgery, but it was recharged recently and read ~11.75v, so that should be good, but I pulled it and hooked it up to the charger when I was done last night just so I could make sure this evening. Perhaps its spark, but I think it has to be due to wiring, unless I fried something hooking up the coil incorrectly.

1979 westy deluxe. I should make a proper intro post I guess to document some of my work, but here's my intro to Aircoolers looong ago with pics of my mexican beige beauty.

https://www.aircoolers.org/v/showthread.php?20580-...post244761
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

dcsheppard wrote:
And now, it wont turn over. It ran perfectly last month when I used it as a daily for 2 weeks. Actually, it's always ran well. I pulled the fuel pump connector off of the coil while I was working on it, and I think one or two of the other connectors. Now I'm not sure if I have them all back on the coil correctly. Fuel pump has power, I have all other elec *lights, radio, etc). The battery died during surgery, but it was recharged recently and read ~11.75v, so that should be good, but I pulled it and hooked it up to the charger when I was done last night just so I could make sure this evening. Perhaps its spark, but I think it has to be due to wiring, unless I fried something hooking up the coil incorrectly.

Still having trouble with this? If you are, why don't you post a pic of your coil wiring?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 426, 427, 428 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 427 of 464

Jump to: