Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711587

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551286

This is a 1.8T running CCW, you will get the idea of what was required.
The transmission used is a 2wd Passat unit in the Vanagon, the transmission is running backwards with no ill effects.
There are a few of us running this set up, and it is awesome.
When the engine is running you would never detect a difference.
Flint Automotive in NY is the mastermind.

I know there was a Mexican transmission for the beetle with the watercooled bellhousing bolt patern, you are going Baja style.....source one of those transmissions.

Unless you are still determined to do a Subaru....
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

You know there is a well laid out means of doing this, right? You install a bus transaxle and get a Kennedy engine adapter. They make an adapter for any engine you can think of, and can even give you recommendations on the cooling system. Success rate would be 10X more likely, because it has all been done many times before. https://www.kennedyeng.com/engine-adapters Just sayin'.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

success for a limited time.
The whole purpose was to enable a different transmission to be used.
Yup bolt up your bus box and run two or three times the horsepower through it and see how long it lasts.
Bolt up a 150 hp to a transmission that was geared for only 75hp and see how iefficient it is.
The idea was to run a matched set, engine and transmission.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
success for a limited time.
The whole purpose was to enable a different transmission to be used.
Yup bolt up your bus box and run two or three times the horsepower through it and see how long it lasts.
Bolt up a 150 hp to a transmission that was geared for only 75hp and see how iefficient it is.
The idea was to run a matched set, engine and transmission.

IMO the complete lack of a readily swappable modern transmission is the biggest thing holding Volkswagens back. Something virtually every other automotive genre enjoys.

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
saabmosare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:

The transmission used is a 2wd Passat unit in the Vanagon, the transmission is running backwards with no ill effects.

I know there was a Mexican transmission for the beetle with the watercooled bellhousing bolt patern, you are going Baja style.....source one of those transmissions.

Great reply, really, thanks!
Just this kind of reply I need. No, I知 not determined to do a Subaru, but I have actually started to like the engine when reading about it. But we will see, in the end I知 looking for a proper setup where I get the most fun for the money. I値l evaluate both options. I just recently calculated all gear ratios for a Subaru with hi/low and bus RGBs, it actually looks promising and I値l have nice torque and power curve at decent rpms. Perhaps it痴 time to do the same for a 1,8t. Once again, thanks for a quality post!
saabmosare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

saabmosare wrote:
Wellington wrote:

Great reply, really, thanks!
Just this kind of reply I need. No, I知 not determined to do a Subaru, but I have actually started to like the engine when reading about it. But we will see, in the end I知 looking for a proper setup where I get the most fun for the money. I値l evaluate both options. I just recently calculated all gear ratios for a Subaru with hi/low and bus RGBs, it actually looks promising and I値l have nice torque and power curve at decent rpms. Perhaps it痴 time to do the same for a 1,8t. Once again, thanks for a quality post!

Another question regarding the gearbox. Since the gears are cut for all levels except reverse (I guess). Will the gears stay in place on load or easily jump out? Any feedback in general on spinning the gearbox backwards? Except for the obvious things such as having the gear positions a bit strange when shifting etc. I'm thinking more of mechanical issues.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

It will work fine backward, the syncros and dog teeth, and reverse will work fine both directions. No problem.

What I don't know is if the thrust load being reversed will be ok.
On the pinion bearing.... I just don't know, out of my expertise. i know it will work but how long and how strong?

The main gear shaft thrust also a concern, which is easier to understand.
For instance very often you have a gear that sits against a shoulder on one side, a c-clip on the other side......and they make it so the thrust is usually against the shoulder......but you reverse it... and it's pushing against the c-clip....that can be trouble. Just example.
while the subaru gearbox is....."completely different", believe it or not, like people, and engines. the things are amazingly similar on the inside! No joke you take a subaru, a honda, and a VW trans apart and pour it in a pile they all look the same. Which is why..... I fail to see the allure of swapping Laughing
But......yeah actually the subaru boxes are quite amazing. I was just talking with my brother about that. It might be the best part of the subaru.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

Maybe you see the worst failures Modoc in your line of work but in my limited experience the engines are not that shabby. My cousin has a 2000 Forester N/A with 500K km on it and still running well, we have a 2000 Forester turbo with 250K km and running sweet. Neither engine has been opened up for anything yet.

I have never heard of an air cooled VW engine with that kind of longevity. Some of the VW water pumpers approach that, mostly the diesels though.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

Well yeah, in the category of 2500$ disposable 160hp transportation appliances the subaru longblock is....in that category, tho it isn't the best of that category.
It has the low hood height which is nice, tho in a rear mounted application that only helps in reverse, so, whoop de frekin do
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

You sound bitter enough to be a full time Subaru mechanic!

A buddy of mine worked in a GM dealership and told me all the horror stories about how bad GM trucks were. He sure would never own one! I have been given GM trucks by my employer to run now for over 20 years and over 2 million miles. I can easily count on one hand how many times I have been left on the side of the road.

Is your opinion bases on some deficiency or just the fact the you only see the ones that have failed? The reason I am asking is that my wife's Forester has just been hit from behind and is considered a total loss. I am debating letting it go or keeping that 2.0 L 246hp engine for a project. It runs so good, uses 1 liter of oil every 5000 miles and pulls hard!

I have a '69 bay window waiting in the wings...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

It's all about expectations of the enthusiasts, not the engine itself.
lemme put it this way, If it was a porsche, people would expect that if you overheat it it's ruined, and rebuilding or souping it up to be difficult and expensive, because.... porsche people think porsche engines are special. But, the engines are kinda all the same. A porsche engine is no easier or more difficult to deal with than a subaru.
It's the people that are special.

But, reminding me of my bitterness...... buddy you gave me a very clever idea.
If you want a watercooled engine and a subaru trans, ok sure,... USE A HONDA, because....they already turn backward!!! So, I am crediting this idea to you Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

Hmmm...

We should start a list of engines of interest and which direction they run.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

Most of the more famous older hondas are reverse, from the renowned B18 to the mythical G23, reverse!

the K series are normal rotation
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

The Corvair engine is the only one that comes to mind for me.

Mind you I haven't checked that Wisconsin but I believe you would disqualify that one on the "of interest" basis! Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

Modoc, last night I had a long conversation with a autocross/ice racer who has some Subi experience and seen a lot of them on the track. He also is not a big fan of them. Says the N/A ones are nearly bullet proof but the turboed ones tend to shed connecting rods. His opinion though is it is mostly due to lack of maintenance and no respect on the throttle.
saabmosare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

I came to a conclusion recently on how to solve my problem. I'll list them all here, and in the initial post for others to follow if you have the same issues.

I'll pick one of the following combinations for my purpose. They both offer a great and reliable engine and a very affordable price/performance ratio. Engine and gearbox are already mounted so no adapters needed. The only issue is the RBGs, but I don't think it will be any major issues while I anyway will rebuild the IRS. So better do all changes at one place instead of everywhere.

Will use one of those setups:
VW 1,9 TDI PD engine with longitudinal mounted gearbox + 1,26 RBGs
Subaru EJ20 engine with 5MT Gearbox + 1,26 RBGs
Both setups can be manual or automatic, haven't decided what to choose for myself yet. Depend on what shows up for sale I guess.

Pros and cons VW
A lot of torque and low HP. Perfect for insurance and tax purposes since they don't care about the torque while I do. Low fuel consumption and considered a great engine for longevity. Higher centre of mass than the Subaru engine so will be more unstable in corners.

Pros and cons Subaru
Boxer engine with a low mass centre. Will handle great in an old car and give it great handling. High revs and great sound. Decent torque for a petrol engine. Considered a great engine that lasts very long.

Other ways to solve it
Some other ways to solve the issues I found but decided to not follow.
Reverse rotation on the engine. VAG 1,8T seams to be okay, I haven't found anything that says it won't be possible on the Subaru EJ20 engine either. My concern is spinning the gearbox the wrong direction in the long run. If the engine was not a tail engine it's important to keep the crank rotation in the opposite direction compared to the wheels to make the car stay stable.

Flipping a gearbox upsidedown. Seams not too complicated but will change the mounting of the engine to a lower stance, not something I'm too keen on. The gearboxes seem to handle it well, keep in mind that new vent and so on is needed, and you probably need to find a new oil level based on your setup.

RBGs for obvious reasons, thanks for the suggestion guys! This helped me a lot. Both the 1,26 and 1,40 would be okay for my application.
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

We have a Subaru engine in a Manx buggy. When we got the engine from Outback (now Outfront) Motorsports, they said never turn the engine backwards, because the cam belts would slip and loose timing causing the valves to hit the pistons. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

If you want to run a subaru engine just do what I did and buy a reversed rotation transmission/ring and pinion kit from subarugears.com and you are done. 5 speed and and goes with the engine so no adapters.
lelef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

revers rotation of a Subaru engine should not be very easy ,thinking about it is simple but during the work you will find problems problems and problems that means a lot of money
use the stock Subaru EFI could not be more practical than a complete new system like Megasquirt
Is not so easy work on a Subaru engine and parts are expensive
The 002 bus transaxle is strong, probably the 092 is also better and are both able to handle the Subaru hp but is needed to flip them for reverse rotation
Mid engine ? std gearbox and std engine

But really today with less money you can built a powerful air cooled engine with also a lot less problems
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert at Subaru boxer to run backwards / CCW ? Reply with quote

years ago, I remember some dude on the Vanagon forum doing a reversed rotation engine. He got it working, but he had to do some pretty crazy things to make it all work. Maybe I can find the thread.

Definitely not easy, but can it be done, sure! anythings possible with enough time, determination and money
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: