Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
saabmosare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear Reply with quote

In the planning of building a Baja Bug for myself. Not sure if it even will hit a dessert, but it will for sure hit forest roads, gravel and snow on a regular basis and on top of this work as a daily driver stand-in whenever I feel for it. I have found a look I like and are looking for a decent setup to achieve this in a cost-effective way.

I have read tons of topics here and have a setup I'm considering. I need your input on how to make the most out of this for me. Welding and fabrication are not any main issues. But I try to avoid precision machining if possible and target most issues towards welding since I handle it the best. And my first option is to use as much stock components as possible before buying new parts.

Here are my engine and transmission topic. I know what to go for there already.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711714

Front suspension
Will use a link pin front suspension to start with as I understand it will give me more future options. Can't decide if I should widen it 6" or 8". If possible I would like to keep the front trailing arm stock, pros and cons on that? I've read its quite common to use 2,5" extended arms. Not sure whether I should move the beam a little to the front or not, suggestions? I want more of the feeling of a modern car. The stock Beetle is around 150cm wide, a modern Volvo V70/XC60 is 180-190 cm. First I hade 6" in mind but now I'm considering 8". Would that alone be a proper change? Ofc I'll mount shocks and towers also. 8-10" seems to be a normal size. A-arms is not an option right now, its too much extra fabrication I feel compared to what I get compared to the link pin.

Rear suspension
A new trans and motor from my other topic will be mounted. Its a VW 1,9 TDI or a Subaru EJ20, haven't decided yet. I see its common to extend the IRS with 3x3, any opinion on this? I like the look of wider Baja bugs but I don't want them to go any wider than 190 cm. Perhaps 4x4 or 5x5 would fit me better. Ill also have RBGs on that will build in one direction, probably backwards.

General opinions on whats a good width for front and rear? Whats a decent axel distance? I'm considering to move the front suspension a little to the front, how much is common, and what's needed?

Other information that probably will be asked. Tires I'm looking at 29-31 roughly right now. Probably not so wide ones. 15" 4" rim in the front and 15" 6" in the back so that's what I somehow have in mind.

Some pictures of your setup and feedback regarding it would be fantastic!

This is my intended style:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by saabmosare on Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear Reply with quote

Most of the pictures you are showing are of Baja Bugs used in the South West and Mexico where there is very little rain.
Not knowing where you are from driving without fenders covering the tires could be an issue. Some place even require mud flaps.

I don't know what your budget is, or your skill set for building a Baja like you want.
Expect to spend at least $10,000 and up to get what you are showing in the pictures. I seen Baja Bugs that had more than $50,000 in them.

Look at DustyMojave threads and pictures of his Baja and you can see what he has done with a modest budget.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
saabmosare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear Reply with quote

I got plenty of rain and snow in Scandinavia so it might end up looking more like the TDI Baja. I understand it will cost a bit and that's fine. I'm a mechanical engineer and grew up on a farm. It will not be my first build.

My issue is that I don't know the setup on those pictures. I need to see some setups where someone can tell me what they used, then I can final my measurements. So far I know 6x6 is way too big for me.

For instance, it would be great to see pictures of a 3x3 baja, a 4x4 and a 5x5 or any other combinations and know their total width. Also a 6", 7" or 8" front beam with different arms.
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a 6" wider beam moves out say 4" and use longer arms if longer travel is the goal. In the rear 3x3s match the wider front beam very well. The suspension can be torsion or coiloover, up to you how you build it. My car has a home made suspension but is about the same as a 6" over beam with 4" arms 5" forward and about 3x3s on the rear. Both ends are coilovers and it has a Subaru ej22 and 5 speed and air and ac.

Go to the pic Gallery and search no1clyde, I have more pics of it in there'

Last edited by no1clyde on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear Reply with quote

I would say a 6" wider beam moves out say 4" and use longer arms if longer travel is the goal. In the rear 3x3s match the wider front beam very well. The suspension can be torsion or coiloover, up to you how you build it. My car has a home made suspension but is about the same as a 6" over beam with 4" arms 5" forward and about 3x3s on the rear. Both ends are coilovers and it has a Subaru ej22 and 5 speed and air and ac.

Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear Reply with quote

IMHO; if you go more than 3" higher, go an equal amount wider. 3X3s go with a wider beam. 3X3s require a full cage. extending the front beam forward requires a full cage if you don't want to get a Darwin award.

a river of money will be required.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
saabmosare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear Reply with quote

no1clyde wrote:

Thanks, I guess the blue and red Baja is the same? Just painted? I don't really need long travel actually. Longer than stock, yes. Long in Baja term, no. I'll use it on trail and forests in Scandinavia. Mainly roads/gravel or forest/tractor roads. But I want the look and handling of a wider car, so I guess 7 or 8" might be what I should target. Does it matter if I am using a link pin or balljoint front for my application in your opinions then? I guess torsion would be grad since its already there but finding a new spring with a decent stiffness perhaps will be easier. Does not really matter. I would not mind trying a jump or two, but I guess it won't happen too many times, so it does not need to be built to manage jumps and so on regularly. Some known limitations in the car could be good general life insurance also. Its still a beetle..

Comparing to your Baja I would like mine to be wider and have a little bit lower stance. Just need to figure out how wide. The front wheels are located okay, I somehow would prefer to have the tires touching the wall first in case of an accident to describe my desired position. Rear probably a little further back compared to yours. But since I'll be using rgbs extending backwards the wheelbase might end up decent for me anyway.

Mal evolent wrote:
IMHO; if you go more than 3" higher, go an equal amount wider. 3X3s go with a wider beam. 3X3s require a full cage. extending the front beam forward requires a full cage if you don't want to get a Darwin award.

a river of money will be required.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. It will not be travelling as hard as bajas in the desert, but some reinforcements or a simpler cage should be good for both general safety and for suspension.
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear Reply with quote

Yes the red bug and the blue bug are the same bug and mine is higher than you may want. Pics may not show it but it is pretty wide and much more would make it not fit in more places when driving. For you I would go store bought parts like a 6" wider beam with stock arms and 3x3s on the back and stay torsion and buy good class 9-11 shocks. On the front you can go link pin or stay ball joint and for your intended use either could work fine. I do not know if they sell wider ball joint beams though so that may make you change to a link pin beam or widen the ball joint beam you have .

Good luck with your build.

Ed
saabmosare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear Reply with quote

no1clyde wrote:
Yes the red bug and the blue bug are the same bug and mine is higher than you may want. Pics may not show it but it is pretty wide and much more would make it not fit in more places when driving. For you I would go store bought parts like a 6" wider beam with stock arms and 3x3s on the back and stay torsion and buy good class 9-11 shocks. On the front you can go link pin or stay ball joint and for your intended use either could work fine. I do not know if they sell wider ball joint beams though so that may make you change to a link pin beam or widen the ball joint beam you have .

Good luck with your build.

Ed

Thanks a lot! May I ask what is the max width on you baja, not track width.
Also, what's your wheelbase?
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear Reply with quote

OK first thing first. I reread your post and if you are using RGBs then you will be stock width and swing axle on the back so with that set up I do not know how you would be able to make it wider. I and everybody using 3x3 arms are IRS with axles and CVs.

Anyway my car is 74" wide and has a 100" wheel base.

Ed
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear Reply with quote

You want the front and rear tires to track the same. The 6" wider front axles match the 6" wider 3x3 extended rear arms. There is some value in a milder 3" widened front axle to match 8" rear wheels to 4" front wheels.
Wider than 4" front wheels are harder [feels slower] to turn, unneeded for the weight load of a 2000# or less car, and overload the wheel bearings.
If the tracks are different, you will be between the ruts left by others and it will be rough and unstable.
Dennis
saabmosare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug: Suspension, front and rear Reply with quote

Will collect all things in my build topic from now on.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713407

no1clyde wrote:
OK first thing first. I reread your post and if you are using RGBs then you will be stock width and swing axle on the back so with that set up I do not know how you would be able to make it wider. I and everybody using 3x3 arms are IRS with axles and CVs.

Anyway my car is 74" wide and has a 100" wheel base.

Ed

Thanks! Perhaps it won't be bolt on, and that's okey. The most important thing is that they reverse the rotation of the wheels and lower the gear ratio almost identical to the increased ratio bigger wheels will give me, saves me a lot of work compared to other solutions I evaluated and makes it possible to fit any front mounted engine with a longitudinal transmission. I have a separate topic for that. I appreciate the feedback, give me some time I'll find a way how to make IRS, 3x3 and RGBs work.

Thanks, 74" and 100" while 6" in front and 3x3 in rear. Will map it on my car later on and see how it feels standing next to it.

DHale_510 wrote:
You want the front and rear tires to track the same. The 6" wider front axles match the 6" wider 3x3 extended rear arms. There is some value in a milder 3" widened front axle to match 8" rear wheels to 4" front wheels.
Wider than 4" front wheels are harder [feels slower] to turn, unneeded for the weight load of a 2000# or less car, and overload the wheel bearings.
If the tracks are different, you will be between the ruts left by others and it will be rough and unstable.
Dennis

My car will be used on roads more than desert. So any feedback in how this setup handles on the road or gravel would be appreciated. In the desert it makes sense to make sure the car always tracks. But for me it wont be super important for that particular reason. But for my application, it could actually be interesting to evaluate other options, they might improve handling or not. This is an area that is totally new for me. But it would make sense oven for me to make them track. But if I use thinner front wheels and wider rear there will still be some slack for the front wheels to be mounted +- a few inches and still track. Those inches could be important on the tarmac.

Interesting about the wheels. Worth looking deeper in to later on. Either electric power steering or thinner wheels. Got some time to think about. Have some parts to fix before I'm there still. Regarding the weight, I'm actually targeting 900-1200 kg. Not sure if I can make it. But keeping the weight low also saves me from changing a lot of things and give me a good hp/kg ratio. Will just keep the motor stock(from a donor car) and lower the weight as much as possible instead. The "good" thing is that it won't be a race car so it does not have to comply with the SCORE rules. Instead, it needs to comply with some other local regulations and my ego, and my ego want the look of a Baja. That's why I might make decisions that look strange to you but it makes sense for me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: