Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Homemade manifolds for dual 28s
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

I was hoping some might be able to help me out before I start hacking up manifolds. I've been searching for 40hp dual manifolds with either no luck, or not wanting to spend the money they're asking. Looking at my manifolds, the stock tube and flange that the carb mounts on has almost the perfect curve. Can I not just cut that tube, weld on the lower flange to the head and call it a day? I haven't been able to find too many homemade manifolds, but this seems too easy. Worst case I have to rotate the flange for the correct carb orientation and fabricate a linkage. Please tell me if I'm missing something here. Thanks for the help!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

scottf1887 wrote:
I was hoping some might be able to help me out before I start hacking up manifolds. I've been searching for 40hp dual manifolds with either no luck, or not wanting to spend the money they're asking. Looking at my manifolds, the stock tube and flange that the carb mounts on has almost the perfect curve. Can I not just cut that tube, weld on the lower flange to the head and call it a day? I haven't been able to find too many homemade manifolds, but this seems too easy. Worst case I have to rotate the flange for the correct carb orientation and fabricate a linkage. Please tell me if I'm missing something here. Thanks for the help!

Yes you can cut it the way you said to make your dual manifolds .. I would cut the necks from the stock manifolds a little longer and see how tall or short you want your manifolds to be its always best to have that extra to adjust the height and the right look and you can can it a day just make sure you find the right linkage . I would use the solex 28pci carbs and take off the chokes bigger venturis but that's what I would do 😉😁.. I know it's crazy I've seen those replicas rethwish manifolds for $175 and still
Gotta do work to them 👎🙊🙊 so I know how it is about not paying there price... I've bought a real set at pomona swaptmeet for $100😯😮😮 ...good luck with you project and show us pictures when your done ....
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll be sure to post some pics as the build progresses. Luckily I've got a stash of quite a few junk manifolds that I feel ok cutting up. I appreciate the info, and if anyone has any pics of ones they've made I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Hey I just saw this today here on the Samba: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2234873
Good luck with your project. Hope to see pictures!
'63 OG 117
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Now my mind is working on building manifolds though...I'm sure I'll regret it but I think I'm going to give it a shot with the manifolds. Thanks for the link and I'll start posting some pictures this weekend of the build.
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Last year I made a set of 40 HP manifolds for a customer. I thought I had more pictures of them but I could only find these four. I made them complete including the base at the head. I sliced up the tubing at the base to reduce it to meet the small head port. I weld built up the base and machined it to fit nice and snug in the head. The ID of the manifold at the head is the ID of a used manifold to head seal. The heads were ported out to this ID also. This is a larger ID than the stock manifold end castings. All flanges were cut from 1/4" plate. All these pictures are of the right side manifold which has an offset to make sure there wasn't an interference with the deck lid and air cleaner. Sorry I don't have any installed pictures. The boss wanted them painted black so they just didn't show up in the pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Quote:
All these pictures are of the right side manifold which has an offset to make sure there wasn't an interference with the deck lid and air cleaner.

Very nice work, Brian.
-Did the customer have a stale air fan shroud on his engine so that there was slightly more room to the sides of the engine compartment to fit the 28 PICT carbs sideways?
-Did you/the customer use 36hp oil-bath air cleaners, or modern chrome ones?
-Scat dual carb linkage?
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Rome: "-Did the customer have a stale air fan shroud on his engine so that there was slightly more room to the sides of the engine compartment to fit the 28 PICT carbs sideways?
-Did you/the customer use 36hp oil-bath air cleaners, or modern chrome ones?
-Scat dual carb linkage?"

Yes the engine had stale air heater boxes and fan shroud.

The customer was going to install 36hp air cleaners but it left the shop with chrome air cleaners.

It did have the Scat style carb linkage.

I've also made intake manifolds for 1500cc single port heads that were used with a fresh air fan shroud and modified 40hp air cleaners. You just have to mock everything up before you weld it out.

A balance tube was used in both set ups. On the 40hp it was run on the front side of the fan shroud and on the 1500cc it was run on the rear side of the fan shroud. On the 1500 I used a ball valve in the balance tube to make the carb synchronizing easier. On the 40hp the balance tube was a hose that ran between the manifolds. To synchronize this set up I just clamped off the hose.

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Very nice super clean set up and work!
'63 OG 117
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Brian- amazing that you got your 1500 dual carb and air cleaner setup to fit despite fitting the engine lid rain guard! I remember your photos of that engine when you first built it.

Have you considered making a small production run of the 40hp dual carb manifolds to sell? Maybe a set of 5, just to test the water? I think there's plenty of interest due to the lack of availability of new manifolds. Original ones like TDE or Riechert are hard to find and tend to be $$.
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Rome, I'm too busy with current projects to start anything new. My younger son and I are building up a '69 IRS pan with a Porsche 5 speed trans and a turbo Type 1 engine to go in his '67 Bug sedan. I'm also trying to rebuild my '65 Double Cab so I'm covered up at the moment. But I agree, I bet there is a small market for 40hp dual carb manifolds.

scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Brian,

Thanks for the pictures, that is some impressive work! Thanks for the inspiration, I'm hoping to get to work on my manifolds this weekend. More to come, and I'll post pictures. I just buttoned up my shortblock on my 40 and tins are back from powder coating!
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

I wanted to post a couple pics for everyone. I may start a build thread considering I haven't found too many forty horse builds documented. I have yet to get to the manifolds, aside from initial measurements and drawings. I'm doing a poor job of taking pics so far, but I'll get better. For the most part it's been a straightforward shortblock build at this point, and I've gotten the tins powder coated. I'm using a 100 cam, straight cut gears (been on the parts shelf for 4 years, so why not) NOS lifters, rebuilt and balanced rods from rimco along with a stock crank and flywheel that has it's first cut and been polished all dynamically balanced together. Going forward I have a nice original KS 83mm big bore kit, and I'll be picking up my rebuilt stock square boss heads on Saturday. Once all of that's in place the carbs will start coming together, as well as maybe a small diameter merged header build. I'll be sure to post more pics and document it. The best part is this is a fun build, I don't even need the motor for my cars...so going to take my time and do things right.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

I’m in the process of building one as well... I’ve got two more in the line up and that should be enough 1200s to last me the rest of my days. I too would like to see more build up threads on these fun little engines... since the current build is almost a long block and the tins are finished (almost)... I may document my next one.... already have the case, crank, rods and square boss heads... just gotta get cam/lifters and rod bearings.
One of the future builds will have dual carbs... I tried to build a set many years ago but I scrapped the build because of lack of tools and skill... they weren’t looking like the picture in my head😁... I have all the flanges and tubing, plus a few pairs of pci and pict with 6v chokes depending on which way I go.

Crusty tins

The 009 is just a mock to keep the drive in... I have the big cap dist.

Just gotta finish up these pieces.
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Manifolds made from 45 degree copper tubing and steel manifold ends.
This on a 36hp, should work for 40hp with early shroud.
Al
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Here's a set I am working for a 36hp for my dune buggy...

they do need a little head modification to work through, they will have a "D" shaped port, My carbs will have bigger vents and a little blending work.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Huntd105
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

hello everyone. today i decided i wanted to add a carb to my 1960 beetle i have spare 28pci's, i can make the manifolds, ive got some good ideas for the throttle linkage, however im stuck on the manual choke! . i see on an earlier post here that the manual choke seems to have just been removed?
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

From my experience you do not need any choke unless you reside in a very cold climate. It does take a few minutes for smooth idle warm up with out any choke. Remember the dual intake manifolds are usually short and quick to warm. If you look at pictures here on the Samba, the Dietz kit offered back in the '60s had a single choke hooked up to one carb! The AutoTechnik dual kit had braces formed to hook up to the original exhaust outlets to the OG single carb manifold. Just search the Samba and many ideas can be found. Good luck. Please post pictures when you make progress.
'63 OG 117
Huntd105
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade manifolds for dual 28s Reply with quote

Ok yeah thats what ive been doing sesrching theres just so much on here .. well i live in England and can get rsther cold
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: