Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspacher thermostat original or hack?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
So, saw this item. Number 25. Means "lengthening of the heat pipe for the Eberspacher heater."
What the hell does that mean?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1867174.jpg

Look under your rear bed cushion.

When i bought it there was this funky ass contraption made of bits and pieces of scrap wood that connected to the heater outlet in the bulkhead and went to the vents. I doubt made by Westfalia.
I wonder if anyone has a legit extension?
I realize that in lieu of anyone else having this setup and no documentation it I shall impossible to verify that it was installed by Westfalia. I was more curious if anyone out there had seen a similar set up. Maybe I should ask the Caravan folk.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Lind wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
So, saw this item. Number 25. Means "lengthening of the heat pipe for the Eberspacher heater."

When i bought it there was this funky ass contraption made of bits and pieces of scrap wood that connected to the heater outlet in the bulkhead and went to the vents. I doubt made by Westfalia.
I realize that in lieu of anyone else having this setup and no documentation it I shall impossible to verify that it was installed by Westfalia. I was more curious if anyone out there had seen a similar set up. Maybe I should ask the Caravan folk.
I'll get some pics of the ones I have. They are both '58s, with factory eberspachers.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Is that the extended ductwork from the firewall that goes through the rear bench perhaps?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Ive never seen information other than an M Code or original sales slip indicating when an Eberspacher was put in. The sales slip could be factory or dealer fitted.

I would think that Westfalia would be putting these on, but it would depend on how strict VW was and at what point during the process were they added. I would think at the factory and not Westfalia, but you never know.

Also having a group of wires added with the metal band to me is more of an after thought. Eberspacher's OG wiring looms were top quality, forethought just like VW's stuff. If the thermostat was an Eberspacher part, Id expect to see it in its own, purpose made shrink tube and not just added open wires.

Its always cool and very interesting to see things like this, but I think its just a neat PO addition.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

they could be carried
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

they could be carried

Poppycock!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Ive never seen information other than an M Code or original sales slip indicating when an Eberspacher was put in. The sales slip could be factory or dealer fitted.

I would think that Westfalia would be putting these on, but it would depend on how strict VW was and at what point during the process were they added. I would think at the factory and not Westfalia, but you never know.

Also having a group of wires added with the metal band to me is more of an after thought. Eberspacher's OG wiring looms were top quality, forethought just like VW's stuff. If the thermostat was an Eberspacher part, Id expect to see it in its own, purpose made shrink tube and not just added open wires.

Its always cool and very interesting to see things like this, but I think its just a neat PO addition.

I was hoping someone would post up a picture of their wiring.
I'll hit up the dudes on the FB Westy site.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

There could possibly be a difference between the 8478 era heaters and the BN4. I've seen BN4's and 8478 wiring routed inside along the cargo floor with a metal cover

‘57

HamburgerBrad wrote:

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

From what I can tell its the same switches.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

For that B2 and BN4's , yes. 8478 and pre bn4 rear mounted heaters used a Bowden cable activated switch.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Lind wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

March 1958 Westfalia ductwork painted Westy tan. This is certainly a factory installation.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Maybe that conduit thing was an esrly thing?
Anyway ever seen these types of vents for an Eberspacher on a Westy?
They open and close.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

they could be carried

What, Erik--a swallow carrying a coconut?
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

March 1958 Westfalia ductwork painted Westy tan. This is certainly a factory installation.

I know this is a year old, but I do have some more comments. Here is an interesting link to some history of Eberspacher.
https://winterstory.cz/En/Alltext/Chb08.htm.

Regarding the #25 on the Westy list, I can almost certainly say that is for the extended ducting that Lind shows to allow the heat to be ducted under the westy bed/cabinet. I have 2 heaters with that ducting. Otherwise, the duct empties into the bus interior at the rear metal bulkhead. You can see the bulkhead ducting on the B2 heater in these pics of Notchboys stash.

As for the Notchboy comments, yes there are many applications to the same basic core heater body. There are T1, T2, and T3 applications for each iteration of heater B2/B3/BN2/BN4 etc. Additionally, there are engine mount AND cab mount versions for pre-68 busses and I'd bet(but don't know for sure) in later busses. The pic of the B2 install manual points out if you look closely at the shaded areas of the bus graphics. I made a contact at OCTO that is looking to sell his under-seat B2 out of his single cab. I've been looking for one for my '62 SC, so I hope I can make a deal on a complete working unit<crosses fingers>.

The engine mount heaters like the OP shows mount to the left of the engine on post barn door busses and to the right of the motor in barn door busses(directly under the separate gas fuel tank/spare tire carrier) as far as I can tell. Great idea..huh? ;-P

Here are some pics of a B2 gas heater and gas tank for barn door busses. The differences are subtle between BD and later versions. Note the different location of the fuse box and the fuel line is a hard line and not braided/flex. The outlet is also different as it is cylindrical. The ID plate is not mounted to the body of the heater but to the support. I'm sure there are other things, but the last thing that jumps out at me is the fan. These early models seem to have only a 3 blade fan, unlike the later versions. This heater is marked '54 but I assume it would be earlier too.

Unique adapter to ducting for barn door only B2 heater

'53 model

'57/'58 B2 Bus heater. Note the screen mesh is square weave (sorta), which changes to a diamond pattern a year to two later.

'59-?
Note the dimond mesh

1960-later? BN2/4

I picked up 5 partial B2 heaters (all from the '50s) at the recent OCTO for a reasonable price.

I'm seeing some slight differences in them(different pump sizes and the '55 has a hard fuel line like the barn door versions). All were 6V. One is an early '55(far right).
I'm sure there is much more others can add to this as far as correctness goes. I find them really cool for some reason. I've restored one many years ago and still have it. I keep my eyes open for them, but they don't show up much here in So. CA. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about their experiences with them.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Very nice haul from OCTO! I have plans myself to get into these and restore one or two. This after I tackle a smaller B2 for my notchback.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Very nice haul from OCTO! I have plans myself to get into these and restore one or two. This after I tackle a smaller B2 for my notchback.

Thanks. The best score is the exhaust tube that is sitting on top. I've never found one before. They are always missing so I've never been sure of the original shape which has a kink in it.

I wish they were more complete, but the seller said that was all they had. He was out of OR and really did not know much about them. I told him all I knew about them(which is not that much) and paid what I thought parts heaters are worth...which is not all that much. I like these early ones for their simplicity. I need to find some glow plugs and a good source of fuel pump diaphragm material. I think Buna-N rubber is the stuff to get, but I'm open to suggestions.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

Probably the same guy I've met as well. I picked up the BN4 6v with the wire wrapped around it like two years ago?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

BN2 is the designation for later Beetle, T3 and Ghia heaters. Buses had BN4’s, 8460, 8478 and a few others. They do share some parts but bus heaters are larger than the other heaters.

All bus heaters up to sometime in 61-62 used a Bowden cable with the switch mounted to the heater itself. There was a bakelite light that was mounted in the cab

Barndoor ambulance duct work
The barndoor heater I posted pics of is a 8460 model

61 flipseat heater

This pump on the right is from Gregs westy. The pump is much larger and had brass discs in the housing under the diaphragm. It also has dual points. I haven t seen another like it since. 1/7/57
I have a ’55 heater and it has the bn4 sized fuel pump as well.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1861565

HamburgerBrad wrote:

perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher thermostat original or hack? Reply with quote

swharris wrote:

nice stash. However the exhaust pipe looks kind of weird to me, the ones I have look shorter

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: