Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 stock muffler modification?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
It's an 1800 engine. The idea was to allow more flow and keep the advantages of a stock muffler for carb heat. I plan to level out the dampers so they have less of a down angle by cutting off the left rear tie down from the bumper support.

I like your thinking on this whole project.
BUT, why did you stay with the generator? I assume it's the 38 Amp one. I'm about to put a motor in my 70. Still trying to justify the extra BS of adding an alternator.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
I'm about to put a motor in my 70. Still trying to justify the extra BS of adding an alternator.
Al

Alternators put out more current. That sounds nice.

I'm running a fridge, massive sound system, and interior lighting off my stock 38-amp generator and one battery only. I replace the brushes every 25,000 miles. Alternators do not have brushes that wear out, but you can not push start the car with a dead battery. I take the push-start-ability of the germinator over a more lax maintenance schedule, but everybody has their own agenda. An alternator is nice, because when it craps out, you can get that or a 30-amp generator and regulator from any FLAPS store and be on your way in an afternoon.

I personally like the whine of a generator, like an audible shift light. Cool
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Alternators put out more current. That sounds nice.

I'm running a fridge, massive sound system, and interior lighting off my stock 38-amp generator and one battery only. I replace the brushes every 25,000 miles. Alternators do not have brushes that wear out, but you can not push start the car with a dead battery. I take the push-start-ability of the germinator over a more lax maintenance schedule, but everybody has their own agenda. An alternator is nice, because when it craps out, you can get that or a 30-amp generator and regulator from any FLAPS store and be on your way in an afternoon.

I personally like the whine of a generator, like an audible shift light. Cool
Robbie

Hehe! I get it.
I went to a bus show in Missouri in 2001. There was an old guy there with a 62 rigged up like you wouldn't believe. He repeatedly demonstrated that he could HAND START it by simply wrapping a lawn mower starter rope around the generator pulley. (Maybe a notch in the rim?) Probably a 40 hp, low compression. But STILL! Changes the worry about running the battery down. I'm well past needing a watt thirsty stereo.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I replace the brushes every 25,000 miles.

I also love the original German made generators. They are bulletproof if you keep and eye on the brushes wear.

What do you contribute the excess brush wear to? 25k isn't long for brushes. I have 10k miles on my 67 bug since a shop rebuilt the original generator. The brushes still look brand new and full length.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

as I recall, brushes should be like 60,000 - 70,000 miles between needed replacements.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
What do you contribute the excess brush wear to? 25k isn't long for brushes. I have 10k miles on my 67 bug since a shop rebuilt the original generator. The brushes still look brand new and full length.

500 watt stereo with subwoofer, onboard fridge, serious interior lighting, most of my tour driving is as night with the high beams on, and the engine pretty much lives at 4,000 RPM.

I oversaw the replacement of three alternators in 2018, but the only generator replacement way my own. It was my fault for running it too long with worn out brushes; they eat the commutator much faster when dead vs. new. I love those poor things, wailing around 7,000 RPM all day and night all year long....

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

500 watt stereo with subwoofer, onboard fridge, serious interior lighting, most of my tour driving is as night with the high beams on, and the engine pretty much lives at 4,000 RPM.

I oversaw the replacement of three alternators in 2018, but the only generator replacement way my own. It was my fault for running it too long with worn out brushes; they eat the commutator much faster when dead vs. new. I love those poor things, wailing around 7,000 RPM all day and night all year long....

Robbie

Time to hunt down an NOS Bosch commutator. I see them for sale all the time for not much $. I also see them at the swap meets.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

When you run a Bosch alternator you carry a spare internal regulator instead of brushes. Yes, they are hard to find but if one looks one finds.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: