Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DRLA 40 for 1.6?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have the oportunity of buying two 40 drla's for really cheap, and I'm thinking to run them on my stock 1.6 (only lightened flywheel and rods, and a header)

What do you think? will it run well if jetted correct? The carbs need a rebuild, but the are 75€

What jetting setup should I buy and what can do they cost?

Thanks and cheers from Spain

Alberto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

I ran a pair on a stock 1600 and 1641 with a stock cam and a 1 3/8 header. Used 30 venturis, 52 idles, 125 mains, 180 airs.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

If your engine is a Dual Port engine you can run them but you will need Manifolds and Linkage.
This looks like a 36Horse. There is a way to do it but you need 36horse Dual Port heads. Which are part of the 36 horse vintage race line of parts and they cost more than buying a used Dual Port 1600 engine if they even have those in Europe? Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW. Okrska 36horse Dual Port heads.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I forgot to say that I already have manifolds (44mm) and linkage.

I'm running a dual port 1.6 on a 54 oval beetle, not the 36hp.

Should I notice a big increase in performace with the carbs? Do they fit under the oval decklid? My manifolds are the offset ones

And one more thing, do the fuel economy go much worse with the carbs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

I don't know about fit? People run them though. Performance compared to the stock Solex carb is a Night and Day difference! Good carb get them! You can always sell them to one of us Americans for more.
Dells can get good mileage, especially on a stock engine if jetted correctly.
I get up to 22 Miles per gallon in my Bus with them. MPG About the same as the Stock Solex did.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

I already have de drla's. I dissasembled one completely for cleaning and rebuilding.

Does somebody have a picture where I can identify each component of the drla's? The ones I need to know for the jetting for a 1.6

They have 28 vents, and 118 mains, but I don't know what the other components are
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

Click on the view diagram button. Tap the part your looking for and a link will open to that part.

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/product-category/dellorto-car-carburettors-parts/parts/drla-parts/

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

Current carb specs:

Dellorto drla 40

28 venturi
180 air corrector
9164.1 emulsion tube
118 main jet
46 idle jet
7482.3 starter emulsion tube
80 starter jet
35 pump jet
150 float needle valve

ID plate: R 6266 S 0605 047 930

Do this setup will work good on a mild 1.6? (12lbs flywheel, balanced crank & rods, power pulley, header)
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

Are you using a single carb or duals?
The emulsion tube should be .2 for a dual carb setup. At least that is what the Dellorto Superformance Book says. Also what I run in my Dellorto carbs.
Albertoprop17 wrote:
Current carb specs:

Dellorto drla 40

28 venturi
180 air corrector
9164.1 emulsion tube
118 main jet
46 idle jet
80 starter jet
35 pump jet
150 float needle valve

Do this setup will work good on a mild 1.6? (12lbs flywheel, balanced crank & rods, power pulley, header)

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Are you using a single carb or duals?
The emulsion tube should be .2 for a dual carb setup. At least that is what the Dellorto Superformance Book says. Also what I run in my Dellorto carbs.
Albertoprop17 wrote:
Current carb specs:

Dellorto drla 40

28 venturi
180 air corrector
9164.1 emulsion tube
118 main jet
46 idle jet
80 starter jet
35 pump jet
150 float needle valve

I'm going to use dual carbs. I read in some post that .1 emulsions can be modified to .2, but I don't know how

Does the jetting will be correct? I will delete the choke system (need tondo something special or just block off the system?). I live in Valencia, Spain, and is warm almost all the year. And of course the jetting setup will be at sea level
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

I'm planning to put the carbs on the 1.6

So for stock cam and cr, the 28mm venturis would work well

Which jetting should I use? I don't know anything about carb jetting Confused

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

E tube #1 will do. 2 is normally better though. But for starters it will be OK.
Idle jet most likely need to go up to ,55 - ,58. But it is dependant on the actual carb serries, Some only need ,52.
Main jet most likely should be about what it is, 115-118.
The ,35 pump jet may turn out to be on the small side. I have seen 1600 engines that I had to go to 0,45 before I could jet all stumble away without going ballistic on the oither jets. - but that is trial & error.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

120 mains, 180 airs, 55 idles should get you started, might want to go a little richer in the idles with the .1 emulsions
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

The only difference #1 vs#2 is the hole near the top, as you can see. You can solder them closed.

I agree, start with 40 or 45 pump jets, especially if not using the cold enrichment systems.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

Albertoprop17, do you know anyone with a Sonic Cleaner were you are? This is what they look like once been through one.. RB

Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 40 for 1.6? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The only difference #1 vs#2 is the hole near the top, as you can see. You can solder them closed.

I agree, start with 40 or 45 pump jets, especially if not using the cold enrichment systems.

Thanks. Is the difference very notable from .1 to .2? I don't know how to solder that hole. And no, I'm not going to use the cold enrichement systems

RailBoy wrote:
Albertoprop17, do you know anyone with a Sonic Cleaner were you are? This is what they look like once been through one.. RB

I clean the carbs by myself, I use a chemical product called Zotal, 50% zotal 50% water, keep it soaking one day, wash it with water and then with gasoline and compressed air. With this method carbs look brand new, I've done it witha few stock solex and they run perfectly

Do I need to disassemble the carbs completely? I do not touched the throttle system or the venturis yet

So can I run this?

28 venturis
180 airs
9164.1 emulsions
118 mains
50-55 idle jet
80 starter jet
40-45 pump jet
150 float needle valve

I will run them with space saver manifolds (oval bug) and csp linkage

I will put single hd springs too

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: