Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

I was looking through my bowl of fuel taps & noticed some differences I’m not familiar with.
1) makes, there’s a manufacturer defect document that shows the logos of various VW authorized suppliers & I couldn’t find it.
2) reserve actuating arm style
3) Body style: rubber boot cover style and one with a screwed in rod hitting the exposed tooth style.

Makes I have (all have VW logo on the other side): PAJ, KARCO & one with a Masonic Lodge style logo with an “S” in the center

If anyone knows about the tooth vs. rubber boot and actuating arm differences/year applicability... it’d be great to hear from you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

Howdy Evan,

Jeeze! You were up late last night!

I've got a box full of Bus taps too, both the "tooth" type and the rubber cover type. Not sure which is earlier or later or concurrent. I have the KARCO and PAJ types (but no Masonic type in my stuff). While checking I happily discovered two NOS ones in there too! I'm missing a few of the Bus arms and a couple of the cable barrel nuts, but I seem to remember that someone had reproduced the Bus arms... I've never seen that lower arm in your bottom photo. Kinda looks a little home-made to me, but what do I know?

I've got a few Split and Oval era Beetle fuel taps as spares too. At least half of my 8 car fleet uses fuel taps. Over the years I've acquired lots of repair gaskets and kits for some future long, cold night when I decide to sit at the basement workbench and start cleaning up and rebuilding a bunch of Bus taps.

I have long run working Bus taps in both of my 1959 Buses (DC and DD Panel). It is a startling and awesome feeling when you are tooling down the road with no fuel gauge and suddenly your Transporter starts sputtering, you snap back to reality and yank on the fuel tap knob and just that quick, you are off and running again. Well, for about 30 miles anyway! It'll be interesting if someone can fill in the fuel tap minutia!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
...Jeeze! You were up late last night!

Bill, Evan is like Chuck Norris: he doesn't sleep, he waits! Evan, I love the thoroughness you're trying to bring to the table, even on smaller parts of buses like fuel taps! Keep it up, but get some damn sleep!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

easy e wrote:

Evan,

The fuel taps with the rubber boot are 59 or 60 and later.
The bottom of the two actuating arms looks home made to me.

Love your thirst for minutia.

N.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

Good morning... uh, I mean... good afternoon guys ;o)

So, If I’m picking up what Neil’s laying down... it goes kinda like this (for the tap body, arm remains to be fleshed out):

The single thickness stamped arm was on the later tap.
I think it has fatigued & become not straight... and that the curved stampings were to keep it from twisting / torsion. The. It may have been home purposed, but the overall shape was machine made (pressed/notched corners).
Since it was on the newer tap body... it’s either home made or VW was trying to save money (it would have basically cut material quantity in half & no more spot welding two pieces together).
It would help to know if the more robust two-piece design is on any other post 1960 taps.
The single piece arm may have been unique to the Masonic symbol type taps? (Or, it was home purposed)

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

uh, that lower "arm" thing is home-made out of a 68-70ish beetle air cleaner support bracket.

sample photo from gallery:

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

The notched corners are the same and radiused flange to prevent torsional twist, making me think both are VW related.

Three things make me think it’s not the Beetle carb piece:
1) Fuel tap arm has machine notched corners & has a machine cut end (Bug arm is longer).
2) bug arm’s radius is flanged is in the opposite direction.
3) tap arm has not been hammered flat, to remove the straight bend the Bug arm has.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

there are several styles of beetle bracket arms, one of which is the style (modified) you have pictured.

Last edited by hazetguy on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

Ok, will look through my junk. I have a bunch of those.

Here’s a side by side of one like you showed.
The bug one is already a scuzz shorter than the tap arm. Straighten out the straight crease & they might be the same length.

Now that I look at it closer... the lower edge of the main hole looks offset to wards the lower edge. As if someone filed the hole in the downward direction.

Will report back after I look through my altitude adjusters... or whatever they’re called.

Last edited by easy e on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

maybe it's off a Chevy? Smile
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

You da man Jon!.... 34 PICT-3 throttle positioner.

Last edited by easy e on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

good info. on these fuel taps here. I had to go dig out my stash of fuel taps & found mostly karco, a couple of PAJ, and the A-s symbol. This one had a different logo than the rest so i thought i'd add it here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Various Reserve Fuel Taps Tap Differences Reply with quote

Just to add a bit more detail, I stole pics from various places to build a side-by-side comparison of the two "flavors" of these. I just labelled them Version 1 and Version 2 because I didn't see definitive resolution to date ranges, but it seems like Version 1 is the later version and Version 2 is earlier?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: