Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

has anyone played with making the window frames??
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: has anyone played with making the window frames?? Reply with quote

they seem simple trapezoids
thin and seemed from the Inside of the frame

I have 2 sets but 2 of them that are straight are rusted
and the nonrusted ones are bent

thinking also of using a board and some weight to maybe straighten them

but I'm thinking how hard it would be to make the
them And even reusing the materiel around the. by opening them and taking the frames Out

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: has anyone played with making the window frames?? Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea. It's a question of how close you want the finished product to be, and the level of quality you desire. If it's just a matter of getting close, you could get some steel stock and cut and grind it to size. Bend the zig-zags at the base near the tabs in a vise, and weld it all up.

But to do it right, all the edges would need to be rounded on a mill, and the zig-zags would need to be stamped in a press. And if you're going to go to all that work you should probably have everything zinc plated. And make some extra sets to sell, to help defray your costs.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: has anyone played with making the window frames?? Reply with quote

I have plenty of bare frames if your interested email me
I also have a original vw jig to make them
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: has anyone played with making the window frames?? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Make some with the rear popout option or the front vent window option.
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: has anyone played with making the window frames?? Reply with quote

I am in the same boat Shark.

One of my sets is complete with vinyl and plexiglass windows RTV'ed in place but the vinyl is in pretty bad shape. The other set had some of the vinyl and no windows. I removed all of the vinyl from the set without glass and the frames are okay but pretty rusty. I am going to use these frames as a template to make new ones. Not to hijack your thread, I will start my own and layout some of the process. I am pretty bad at remembering to pictures while doing a project but I will try my best.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: