Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reproduction vs original lowlight parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received a pair of reproduction 58-59 Ghia sun visors from Dwayne and thought I would post some images. His visors turned out fantastic with crisp details and good color. He makes both coupe (coupe visors are turned down at the ends) and cabriolet visors (they are flat). I bough a pair of cabriolet visors and placed one against an original coupe visor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dwayne's reproduction is on top with the reproduction visor on bottom.

Repro on top, original on bottom.

Original on top and repro on bottom

The waffle weave pattern is nice and crisp, as is the raised ridge on either side. I really like that they are available in grey or beige, as original and they are cast with colored plastic so the color will not flake or wear off. The color might not be a perfect match, but it is hard to match original visors that have faded over time and I am really happy with the color of my beige visors. The visors are very reasonably priced (he could easily ask more), though to keep costs down Dwayne does not finish the edges and you will need to sand the edges to remove the mold flashing. This is easily done and well worth the savings. There is also a small brass tube molded into the small end of the visor to add strength, a nice detail that the original visors are lacking. I really like my visors and highly recomend them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is actually a machined brass insert in the large end also to help distribute the loads. It is set in past the clamp area and is around 2 inches long.
Glad you like them Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Dwayne!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone bought one of these '58/'59 horn inserts: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1542551

They're a fiberglass, the ad say's first posted in Oct 2013 so have been available for more than a year.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a pair of 56-59 Ghia dash grab handle seals from Dwayne and they look excellent. Unfortunately I don't have any good original seals to compare them to, but they fit really well and look good. At this point I think these are the only reproductions available.

These are the first seals he made. They have a few imperfections, but they are still very nice:

Here they are installed on an early dash section:

Here is an image of the improved seals he just made. The edges are sharper and the sides are smoother without any air bubbles. The back is also slightly hollowed which will make the seal fit tighter against the handle.

chris fryer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

This is a great thread, although it seems to have run out of steam?
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
I finally received a pair of reproduction 58-59 Ghia sun visors from Dwayne and thought I would post some images. His visors turned out fantastic with crisp details and good color. He makes both coupe (coupe visors are turned down at the ends) and cabriolet visors (they are flat). I bough a pair of cabriolet visors and placed one against an original coupe visor.

Dwayne's reproduction is on top with the reproduction visor on bottom.

Repro on top, original on bottom.

Original on top and repro on bottom

The waffle weave pattern is nice and crisp, as is the raised ridge on either side. I really like that they are available in grey or beige, as original and they are cast with colored plastic so the color will not flake or wear off. The color might not be a perfect match, but it is hard to match original visors that have faded over time and I am really happy with the color of my beige visors. The visors are very reasonably priced (he could easily ask more), though to keep costs down Dwayne does not finish the edges and you will need to sand the edges to remove the mold flashing. This is easily done and well worth the savings. There is also a small brass tube molded into the small end of the visor to add strength, a nice detail that the original visors are lacking. I really like my visors and highly recomend them.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like he makes these anymore. What is the best alternative for a 58?
Good thread to keep alive Smile
CanadianVWboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
I just had a bunch of 58-59 Ghia door check rod bolts machined and the turned out really nice. I looked through my parts bin and noticed that every check rod bolt I had was severly worn, so I decided to have a few extra made for the Ghia community. The problem is that the spring is made from harder steel than the check rod bolt and over time the spring wears grooves into the bolt. When the grooves get too deep the door will no longer stay open when you get out of the car. I had these new ones machined from 303 stainless steel and they are as close to the originals as one could want (minus the wear grooves).

Here is the bracket in the door where the bolt goes.

This image shows how the spring rides inside the check rod spring. When the bolt is in the notches it will hold the door open.

Here you can see the reproduction on the left and the worn original bolt on the right.

Another view showing how worn the bolt can get.

Close up of the new bolt

Yet another close up of the new bolt

Here you can really see the worn grooves in the original bolt.

Just in case you need another view of the damaged original bolt.

Hi Loren
Are the bolt still available? My 58 has one driver side,missing whole assembly
passenger side might get a set as driver for sure is worn
LMK pm pls
Bon
-69 Brasilia -63 ghia
-69 beetle
Current vws
-54 oval semaphore
-58 lowlight ghia
-60 15w deluxe bus
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

CanadianVWboy,
John Copellos have them in stock:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1899754
CanadianVWboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I will reach out to him.
Also, do you know of where I can get the spring that goes with that?
I am missing one for the passenger side. I know one is selling here at thesamba but the price is steep
-69 Brasilia -63 ghia
-69 beetle
Current vws
-54 oval semaphore
-58 lowlight ghia
-60 15w deluxe bus
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

I just bought a reproduction 58-59 Ghia horn cover emblem from Koch's and though I would add it here.

The badge was fairly affordable, but it does not have any studs on the back to mount it to a metal 58 horn ring cover. It seems more suitable for the 59 Ghia plastic horn ring cover where it would be glued on. The badge is made from very thin aluminum (about 1/16" thick) with what looks like enamel coloring (so it should hold up well in direct sunlight over time). The details are not as refined or as crisp as an original badge, but it gets the job done.

Here are some pics of the reproduction badge:

In the above closeup you can see the black bled a little in the lower left corner and the color is not as thick and uniform as an original badge.

Here is a photo of an original 58 Ghia badge for comparison:

Here is the reproduction:

All in all not a bad product for the price, but if you are expecting a close replica of an original badge you will be disappointed. It would be great for a 59 Ghia plastic horn ring cover, especially since the original plastic badges are often missing and are impossible to find.
56cpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

Loren - perhaps you could have considered the Horn Badges that I started making over 10 years ago

Regards Jerry
KG Co Australia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

Jerry,

I have purchased a few parts from you over the years and your quality and costumer service is always top notch. I have a plastic 59 horn ring cover and thought this badge might work since it doesn't have the attaching pins on the back. It will work but the quality is lacking. I might have to purchase one of your badges just so I can admire the quality!
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

I just got a Karmann Ghia key fob from Luis at Low Light Werks and it's fantastic! Here are some shots of the reproduction key fob next to an original one (the reproduction is dark brown and the original is mustard colored):

The dimensions are perfect and the attention to detail is spot on. They are very reasonably priced too.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

56cpe wrote:
Loren - perhaps you could have considered the Horn Badges that I started making over 10 years ago

Regards Jerry
KG Co Australia

Loren wrote:
Here is a photo of an original 58 Ghia badge for comparison:

Here is the reproduction

Jerry, please allow me to congratulate you on producing such a beautiful reproduction part!
While unfortunately the circumstances which would allow me to own the lowlight of my dreams have not yet come about (Come on Mr. Moxon, what are you waiting for - nobody lives forever. Wink ), I can still certainly enjoy admiring high quality things such as your reproduction Karmann Ghia Steering Wheel Badge.

To me, the quality and beauty can be found in the finer details and that is where your badge shines.
For example, ..
- On both the left and right side upper sections of the castle (which surround the wolf), note how the merlons (the raised "block" shaped portions) are each equally sized in both the original and Jerry's reproduction.
The Koch's product, conversely, has one smaller and one larger merlon on both the left and right sides.

- On both the original badge and Jerry's reproduction badge note how the two legs of the wolf which are beneath its midsection both appear to be resting at the same level on top of the castle's main section center merlon, while on the Koch's product the wolf's front leg is slightly lower than the rear one.

- Note how on the Koch's product the space between the upper two sections of the castle and the castle's main lower section is much wider than it is on both the original badge and Jerry's reproduction badge.

- Finally, the width of the two "waves" beneath the castle appear to be noticably thicker on the Koch's product that it is on either the original badge or on Jerry's reproduction badge.

Mind you I mean only to praise the quality of Jerry's product, and do not mean to imply in any way that the Koch's product should be completely dismissed.
The reproduction badge from Koch's still looks to be a nice looking product, and would no doubt serve well for many that are missing their original badge.

It's actually impressive - and also a bit surprising - that lowlight Karmann Ghia owners have not one, but two nice looking reproduction steering wheel badges to choose from.
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

Today we managed to make our first prototype of Lowlight sunvisors. I'll add more photos vs original and info later. If my post is not appropriate please delete it.

VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

Disc wrote:
Today we managed to make our first prototype of Lowlight sunvisors. I'll add more photos vs original and info later. If my post is not appropriate please delete it.

Those look good! I am interested in a back up pair for my originals. How well will yours hold up to heat?

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
CanadianVWboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

CerveloMikey wrote:
Disc wrote:

Those look good! I am interested in a back up pair for my originals. How well will yours hold up to heat?

Same here if they can last in heat and not warp.I am interested for a pair.
-69 Brasilia -63 ghia
-69 beetle
Current vws
-54 oval semaphore
-58 lowlight ghia
-60 15w deluxe bus
cln60ragfk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

Just wondering who is manufacturing repro stuff these days?
Just got a 59 coupe and looking for parts
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction vs original lowlight parts Reply with quote

Where did the above posters get the plastic sun visors that warp in the heat?

Karmann Ghia Parts and Restoration is a big supplier of low light parts, The Karmann Ghia Company of Australia, Low Light Werks also have good reproduction parts, just to name a few.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: