Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlannelDaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions Reply with quote

I just bought my first project car, a '63 notch with a lot of work to be done. At times it seems like it's ahead of my ability, but I'm pretty confident I can get it done. I have a few questions:

The floor pans need replacing. Can I replace them without removing the body? if not, what's the best way to get the body off the floor pan without a lift? Can the engine stay attached to the floor pan without the body being on the floor pan?

Once I have new floor pans in, how do the seats attach to the floor? Will the pans have rails already on them, or will I need to buy rails for them?

The engine it has in it is out of a later type 3 that had a 12 volt system, while the rest of the car was originally 6 volt, what needs to happen to make that work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions Reply with quote

It is your Engineering Project & 'there is more than 1 way to skin a cat'.
You have to carefully remove & reuse your outer seat rails.
Buy Bentley & Haynes manuals as your very first purchase for your build.
Welcome to TheSamba!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions Reply with quote

FlannelDaddy wrote:
I just bought my first project car, a '63 notch with a lot of work to be done. At times it seems like it's ahead of my ability, but I'm pretty confident I can get it done. I have a few questions:

The floor pans need replacing. Can I replace them without removing the body? if not, what's the best way to get the body off the floor pan without a lift? Can the engine stay attached to the floor pan without the body being on the floor pan?

You can, and it might make lining up the bolt holes easier, but you're still going to need to trim the inside edge some.

Once I have new floor pans in, how do the seats attach to the floor? Will the pans have rails already on them, or will I need to buy rails for them?

You'll have to remove the outer rails from both sides and weld them in place. Do search, as it's been covered here.

The engine it has in it is out of a later type 3 that had a 12 volt system, while the rest of the car was originally 6 volt, what needs to happen to make that work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

As for doing a 12 volt conversion, all the light bulbs need to be swapped to 12 volt bulbs. The wiper motor swapped to a 67 only motor, or change the entire wiper motor assembly to a 68 to 70 unit. You could always add a voltage drop unit, but those things make heat, so look around for a place where you can safely mount it.
Ideally you're going to want to get a Blue Bentley, as it for your car, and covers most anything about it. The Haynes and brown Bentley are good, but don't really cover front drum brakes like you have.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
PK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions Reply with quote

You can also watch the "Bug Me" videos, they have one on replacing the floor pan.
69 Notchback Auto Trans, FI, Gas Heater
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions Reply with quote

Post some pics up, if you need complete pans, you will need to remove the body. Four guys can lift a stripped body off the pan. As for 12/6v question, if it hasn’t been converted you can find a 6v alloy fan shroud and generator and install it on your 12v motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FlannelDaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions Reply with quote

The passenger pan is completely MIA. The driver’s side pan is there, but I don’t know if it can be used, and it is already cut off the car.
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
It is your Engineering Project & 'there is more than 1 way to skin a cat'.
You have to carefully remove & reuse your outer seat rails.
Buy Bentley & Haynes manuals as your very first purchase for your build.
Welcome to TheSamba!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Buy the Big blue bentley for 61-65 cars, the ones in the picture are little use for a 63.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions Reply with quote

FlannelDaddy wrote:
The passenger pan is completely MIA. The driver’s side pan is there, but I don’t know if it can be used, and it is already cut off the car.

Sounds like you need a pair of Gerson pans. I'd just do both sides, since you'll already have the tools out doing 1 side. Plus, once both are done, you won't have to worry about them for a long time. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
FlannelDaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:

Buy the Big blue bentley for 61-65 cars, the ones in the picture are little use for a 63.

I just ordered one for 61-67, will that be just as good?

Professional Crastinator
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions Reply with quote

FlannelDaddy wrote:
ibjack wrote:

I just ordered one for 61-67, will that be just as good?

Same one. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
FlannelDaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New owner of a 1963 Notchback...with a few questions Reply with quote

My Bentley manual came in today, and I spent all day today wrenching on my new toy. I’ve been having a load of fun with it Very Happy That manual truly is the real deal. It’s super descriptive and easy to understand, I couldn’t be more satisfied with it.

Professional Crastinator
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: