Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

Use a length of 3/8" copper on a shop vac to remove crud out the vent hole? Spray crud with WD40 then loosen or remove fill bolt first? But if you use a pic tool to clear that hole, I'd think that if a small amount of road dust got into the tranny, it would be of little consequence if any.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

There is a 'pocket' chamber that the crud falls into. It does not fall into the actual lube.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

That's awesome to know cause I just installed redline gear oil less than 3,000 miles ago.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

Okay so maybe mine wasn't as clogged as I thought. I think I am now hitting metal in the back of my vent. I should have took pictures but I had grease all over my hands.

It's very hard to explain, but does it sound right if I stick a drill bit inside 1" and hit metal I'm fine - meaning at some point the 'vent' comes from the bottom of trans 1" inside.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

Yes, that sounds right.
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

So I replaced my clutch last night and I powerwashed my trans the night before. I was looking for a breather hole because I didn't want to blast it with water, but I never noticed it caked under dirt.

The trans is back in so I guess it is a good idea to now drain the oil? I don't recall blasting that section very long with the pressure washer, but what is the likelihood I got water into the case?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

ALstew wrote:
So I replaced my clutch last night and I powerwashed my trans the night before. I was looking for a breather hole because I didn't want to blast it with water, but I never noticed it caked under dirt.

The trans is back in so I guess it is a good idea to now drain the oil? I don't recall blasting that section very long with the pressure washer, but what is the likelihood I got water into the case?

What kind of oil did you use? I mean the right thing to do is change it. Really, I wouldn't take the chance. Oil is cheaper than a transmission
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
ALstew wrote:

What kind of oil did you use? I mean the right thing to do is change it. Really, I wouldn't take the chance. Oil is cheaper than a transmission

Yeah I think you're right, at least now I know where the breather is haha. I used swepco last oil change about a year ago.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

I mean it would be good to inspect that drain plug anyhow. You could maybe assume any water would float to the top and remove the top layer of the oil. I don't know but if I drove without changing it, I would always be thinking about the possibility of water in the trans and it about to blow.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

Does the auto transmission have a vent like this?
laststarfighter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

tonight is the first time I ran across the term "atmospheric bleed". Please let me know if this item is only on the VW bus type tranny or is it also on the Beetle tranny (particularly 1971 Super Beetle). Thank you.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

Virtually every transmission has an atmospheric bleed. You might find it called other things also, like atmospheric vent or breather. I'm sure your super beetle has one but I can't help regarding where it is located.
laststarfighter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

Thank you. Hopefully I will find it as I clean the tranny.
Jacebc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I have a slight leak around the gear selector shaft. Spent spent quite a bit of time looking for the breather vent, to no avail. Does anyone have any photos of it with the transaxle mounted to the vehicle? Thanks so much!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

With a flexible hose hanging down, the modified vent hole on this DK tranny has been in service since 2012... no mess down below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

I have a new to me '03 Toyota Tundra with 230K miles with a leaky axle seal. A short search for leaky axle seals reveals a similar fix for a Tundra rear differential breather. Sometimes good seals are forced to blow due to a clogged breather.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Black'n'White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Here is a shot of the hole in front of Syncro tranny case.

Does anyone know the the thread that was used for that threaded hole? I'd like to pick up a banjo fitting and install a breather line...
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

I do know the part number is N-021-075-5. The banjo fitting is N-902-788-01.
check Weddle Industries
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

A 2000s Honda Accord/Civic brake line and banjo fit perfectly if you have a neighbor with one just laying around after some maintenance. Good length too.

Yes I am totally running this right now. Laughing It even zip ties together to make a loop to stop water intrusion.

Black'n'White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
I do know the part number is N-021-075-5. The banjo fitting is N-902-788-01.
check Weddle Industries

Thank you for the info!

Both items were in stock at Weddle, might even get here by the weekend. But oh my gosh, those shipping prices! Rolling Eyes

BTW, the breather hole is just barely visible looking up above the driver's side transaxle nose/decoupler, looking to the rear of the van.

Gonna have to find a kid with little hands... Shocked [/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: