Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My buggy project.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Excellent! Thanks!

No response, sent another email adding their main email address....
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

I too have a rear facing fan inlet and I worry about hot air and exhaust recirculation. My oil temps have been running at the higher end of comfortable, I need to get my cylinder head temp gauge working to confirm whether or not the whole engine is running warm or just the oil.

To me changing to a rear facing fan is not a wise move, mine came that way stock and I may have to go upright yet.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I would highly recommend Metal Craft Motorsport and Scott (mcmscott here on the forums). He built the IRS tranny for my street buggy and it rocks. Or Bill at Vallis, if you want to keep it on this side of the border.

brad

Could I bother you to enlighten me as to the shipping costs down to Scott and back? I sent him a message a while back but no response at this point. Thanks.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

I had rancho build me a 67 bus transaxles back in the late 90's with a overdrive 4th gear, after about a week it started popping out of 4th gear so I called them and told them what was going on. ...let's just say. ...their warranty ain't worth shit! ....they just told me that it was driver abuse and they wouldn't warranty my tranny. ...this was before youtube of course, I wish you luck on getting anything fixed under warranty. ...I will never deal with rancho ever again!...they use a lot of used parts in their rebuilds from what I have read in other forums and also use cheap labor. ...hence the cheap prices and fu (% it warranty...their warranty is to their description. ..my bus still had reduction boxes with a stock gearing with a 1641 single 34 pic carb!...how, after a week of just breaking in a new tranny with stock RB's am I abusing the tranny in a 2+ ton bus?...I strongly believe that my syncros were not new or replaced. ..and for you to hear a screaming sounds like it's going to blow up just proves that they never replaced your main bearings. ..I wish you all the luck getting them to fix anything.

Nice donut video BTW!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
I would highly recommend Metal Craft Motorsport and Scott (mcmscott here on the forums). He built the IRS tranny for my street buggy and it rocks. Or Bill at Vallis, if you want to keep it on this side of the border.

brad

Could I bother you to enlighten me as to the shipping costs down to Scott and back? I sent him a message a while back but no response at this point. Thanks.

The transaxle I bought was built for another customer who bailed on the project, so I only had to ship one way. I think it was around $250 all in with taxes etc for shipping one way. It was $150CDN each way to Vallis in Ontario.

brad

Last edited by slalombuggy on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Thanks!
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Well still no reply so I guess i'm on my own. Rancho you just blew it, fools......
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
Well still no reply so I guess i'm on my own. Rancho you just blew it, fools......

Thanks for the update!

Yes they did! I just may have located a good used one. I will be checking it out on Saturday if all goes as planned. The down side is I won't know how good it is until I try it out but that is no different than where you are at but at considerably less cost!

I can put that $2500 I have saved for Rancho to good use elsewhere!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

I got my tranny last Saturday and it looks pretty clean for used unit. If it works as good as it looks it should be all I need. And the warranty is the same as what you got!

Glasser did you convert your pan to IRS or was it one already?
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

just read through this whole thread too. man this was a nice build. So much of what i just read i already wanted for my buggy. its gorgeous. very well done done.

i do have one question on those rear torsion adjusters. what keeps the torsion from traveling down. under load i understand the tabs hit the screws and that sets your height.. but when you jack it up do the torsions just keep falling?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Glasser is does check in here now and then so have patience and he will likely respond in time.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I got my tranny last Saturday and it looks pretty clean for used unit. If it works as good as it looks it should be all I need. And the warranty is the same as what you got!

Glasser did you convert your pan to IRS or was it one already?

So sorry for the epicly late reply. I was not getting notifications and, well haven't been around.

Yes, swing axle chassis was impacted and one torsion tub housing was bent so out it came.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Rockbound wrote:
just read through this whole thread too. man this was a nice build. So much of what i just read i already wanted for my buggy. its gorgeous. very well done done.

i do have one question on those rear torsion adjusters. what keeps the torsion from traveling down. under load i understand the tabs hit the screws and that sets your height.. but when you jack it up do the torsions just keep falling?

Again sorry for late reply.
Nothing stops them from falling , other than the torsion plate stops. They are always under load so really you can't tell anything is different than a stock set up when you lift it up.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Glasser is does check in here now and then so have patience and he will likely respond in time.

In time is right..... my gosh.too long of time. I'm embarrased. So sorry for not logging in and checking my messages.
I wasn't getting modifications... and I just realized why. New email address. Ill get that fixed up tight now!
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Well I haven't been around much. Buggy has been parked. A drum tired beating itself into the bearing (Was torqued properly) and came loose.. I'm chalking it up to cheap parts....

SOOOOO Wasn't going to waste any money on more drum brake parts. The car is evolving and I need to make some changes. Took some time but I got enough funds together to do a substantial upgrade. Car is going up on blocks soon and I知 going disc brakes on all four corners with 4 piston Wilwood calipers. New master cylinder, rotors, calipers and narrowed rear IRS arms (narrowed by 1.75). And some other goodies.

I also found one piece of my gas line was hard as a rock! So much for asking for fuel safe hose and getting this crap. Can稚 trust anyone these days!! I suspect this was the problem all along for my jets getting clogged even though I took everything apart and looked for foreign matter in the floats etc. Fingers crossed this was the issue. I知 now second guessing all my bradded line from my tank back as well. It seems soft still so fingers crossed.

I知 excited to blow the dust off the car and work on it. Hopefully get some seat time this summer but I知 not going to rush this upgrade. I知 going to enjoy wrenching on it.

Some of the parts on my IG page.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CYy-FVQlm5e/
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Good to hear from you!

My Buggy too didn't see much action last year. Partly due to COVID and partly because I haven't changed out the transaxle yet. Nothing happened on it over the winter but I did get my garage back from the dark side of a 10 year clutter, the ceiling reinsulated and plywood up. Added new lights and more plugins too.

An ongoing house issues (major kitchen renovation, moving walls and electrical to make it happen) took up a lot of this last winter plus some long overdue work on the sand rail. The work on the house is about to stop for the summer for yard and garden work, the sand rail is at the point that it can stay for now and be used.

The Buggy comes out of the hay shed this week to finish a throw out bearing change and the relocation and tidy up of my crank trigger components and wiring. Once I see it running properly again we will see if the transaxle change to IRS and Porsche brake upgrade is going to happen before summer.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

I hate when life gets in the way LOL Fingers crossed they both get some use this summer.

oprn wrote:
Good to hear from you!

My Buggy too didn't see much action last year. Partly due to COVID and partly because I haven't changed out the transaxle yet. Nothing happened on it over the winter but I did get my garage back from the dark side of a 10 year clutter, the ceiling reinsulated and plywood up. Added new lights and more plugins too.

An ongoing house issues (major kitchen renovation, moving walls and electrical to make it happen) took up a lot of this last winter plus some long overdue work on the sand rail. The work on the house is about to stop for the summer for yard and garden work, the sand rail is at the point that it can stay for now and be used.

The Buggy comes out of the hay shed this week to finish a throw out bearing change and the relocation and tidy up of my crank trigger components and wiring. Once I see it running properly again we will see if the transaxle change to IRS and Porsche brake upgrade is going to happen before summer.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Sure does! Now I got a call to fill in for an operator who is getting knee surgery starting on Friday. That is going to be a 6 week full time gig so there goes my hopes of changing the transaxle this spring! That was supposed to happen in July.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Hey Brent.

You wont regret going to 4 wheel disks. They make driving so much more fun. Even my cheap empi disks were a huge improvement over drums.

I daily drove my buggy to work on sunny days all last summer and went on some long drives out in the country. I think I put about 2500km on it last year and the year before also.

I think I'm going to park my buggy this summer as well. I need to properly redo the wiring and the grommets gave out on the master cylinder and it constantly leaks DOT5 brake fluid. I bought back my ex-Bonneville racer 57 Oval last fall so I think I'll drop the engine and gearbox from the buggy into that for the summer. Once I get back from Bonneville in September I think the race engine will go into the 57 till it's time to head south again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: