Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot-tanking okay for old cases?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xpofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Hot-tanking okay for old cases? Reply with quote

I'm rebuilding the 1200 on a '64. This is my first VW. I'm by no means a professional mechanic, but I've rebuilt a few engines. I've always started by taking the block, manifolds, etc. to the machine shop for 'hot-tanking'. When I took these case halves in, the guy said, "oooh... are those magnesium or aluminum?" and went on to explain that whatever solvent they use seems to damage magnesium. I told him I'd find out and call him back.

Research on the Samba has revealed that ALL factory cases are magnesium.

Anyone have experience with this? I could resort to the tried and true "Armstrong" method, but 1) I'm lazy and 2) these are really dirty.

Are there truly bad solvents/cleaning methods to avoid? Is there a method preferred by those who have rebuilt a ton of these?
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hot-tanking okay for old cases? Reply with quote

Some cleaning solvents are highly corrosive and can eat magnesium in a few hours!!!

Oven cleaner works wonders in a mag case !
And if you want to really clean it you need to remove the oil galleys plugs to clean them too!

Good luck,
Jim
PK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hot-tanking okay for old cases? Reply with quote

Look for a shop that will basically steam clean it, Hot water and heat.
69 Notchback Auto Trans, FI, Gas Heater
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hot-tanking okay for old cases? Reply with quote

The chemicals they use for stripping and cleaning cast iron will eat the magnesium.

Don
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hot-tanking okay for old cases? Reply with quote

Im not telling you to take it to the car wash but that is what I do
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hot-tanking okay for old cases? Reply with quote

Cillit Bang
Hot Water
Stiff brush
Elbow Grease Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously look up Cillit Bang, do you have it in the States ?
They have been spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in the uk on cleaning metalwork at decommissioned nuke plants, and this stuff at $3 a go was found to be a fantastic solution if you’ll excuse the pun Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hot-tanking okay for old cases? Reply with quote

paint thinner works well.

Some hot tank recipes will damage the VW case, others are ok. Besure the hot tank is magnesium safe.

Good Luck.

Bug On! With a clean motor!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot-tanking okay for old cases? Reply with quote

An old dish washing machine works beautifully.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: