Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

110V 15 Amp Electrical Hook-Up Inlet Location
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where should the 110 electrical hook-up box be located if it could be anywhere?
Original location
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Under the van
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Near the rear of the van, close to engine bay
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Somewhere else (please let us know where)
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 110V 15 Amp Electrical Hook-Up Inlet Location Reply with quote

VanagonVentures wrote:
oldskewlsk8ter wrote:
What I did...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like this. I’m gonna look into doing the same.
Are you happy with it?
Wished you had done something different?
How do you like that specific inlet?
What’s the other plug you have?
m

It’s works perfect for me in that location. The one beside it is for 12v. I wired the 120v NOCO receptacle into a regular household receptacle installed in the kick panel under the rear seat.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 110V 15 Amp Electrical Hook-Up Inlet Location Reply with quote

honestly you can have multiple inplets for 110v power as you can have multiple outlets for 12/5v power.

if you feel the live prongs a safety issue. you can buy a replacement end that acts as a cap for the unused socket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 110V 15 Amp Electrical Hook-Up Inlet Location Reply with quote

oldskewlsk8ter wrote:
It’s works perfect for me in that location. The one beside it is for 12v. I wired the 120v NOCO receptacle into a regular household receptacle installed in the kick panel under the rear seat.

Thanks for the feedback. So far this is our favorite spot, however I was noticing last night that this particular body panel does point upward a little. If we're plugged in when it's raining and the wind blows from behind (lots of "ifs" sure), I'd be afraid of water pooling up in there. Maybe I can drill a little relief hole on the lowest part of the outlet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 110V 15 Amp Electrical Hook-Up Inlet Location Reply with quote

VanagonVentures wrote:
(lots of "ifs" sure)

There's always a lot of ifs, more than you can imagine. Wink
I'll bet you're correct that drilling a drain hole will solve that 'if'.

In my case I have to avoid the "when".......
....when that rear tire rolls onto the extension cord.

danfromsyr wrote:
if you feel the live prongs a safety issue. you can buy a replacement end that acts as a cap for the unused socket.

Dan you just gave me an idea. Rather than a "hook" I can attach a cutoff female cord end as a "holder" for my dangling cord. It will cover the prongs while the inverter is ON (and they're "live" with 120vAC).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 110V 15 Amp Electrical Hook-Up Inlet Location Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

Dan you just gave me an idea. Rather than a "hook" I can attach a cutoff female cord end as a "holder" for my dangling cord. It will cover the prongs while the inverter is ON (and they're "live" with 120vAC).

I’ve left mine plugged in during rainy weather many times with no issues whatsoever. The rear door acts as a pretty good rain deflector.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 110V 15 Amp Electrical Hook-Up Inlet Location Reply with quote

The plug thing I bought is water tight. I have to work to pull the cover off. The hole is caulked with silicon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 110V 15 Amp Electrical Hook-Up Inlet Location Reply with quote

oldskewlsk8ter wrote:
What I did...

I use the same Noco receptacle for my block heater on the front of my Audi 4kq...it's always dry when I lift the cover. Pretty nice unit.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 110V 15 Amp Electrical Hook-Up Inlet Location Reply with quote

The rear spot by the driver side tail light won! Thanks for the suggestions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: