Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

I looked at a 1968 beetle today and wanted some opinions from the group. It's a little basketcase-ey but here's the details, from smallish to large:

door rubbers need to be replace,
rear engine seal missing,
air cleaner missing,
preheat pipe rusting through,
engine compartment insulation sagging on the sides near spark plugs
rear seat isn't bolted in,
carpet behind the rear seat isn't really there (speaker box instead),
black headliner (not my preference, but it's in good shape),
cheap carpet,
some bondo around the quarter panels and front fender backsides,
metal lip that holds the front trunk seal down is partially missing (rusted away or broken off),
exhaust is pretty rusty,
seats are cheaply uphostered,
no bumpers,
paint is a cheap job (probably a 2-year deal),
driver's door pillar is cracked right at the bottom above the heater channel

that last one was unexpected and i'm not sure how to react to it.
the seller is asking 4800 and i've got him down to 3500.
i don't think he's going lower.

is this a bad deal? please, give me your opinions.

Last edited by hylomatt on Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at 1968, I could use some opinions Reply with quote

Lot of money for a "a little basketcase-ey".

Some pictures would help.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at 1968, I could use some opinions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at 1968, I could use some opinions Reply with quote

This is to keep, not resell or flip.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at 1968, I could use some opinions Reply with quote

Way too much coin.
Check all the wheel wells w/ a flashlight for out-of-place welds, missing patches of undercoating, wrinkled/crumpled sheet metal, & rust: all signs of a collision. Same in the spare tire well, & note if any of the fenders look different from the inside.
Bondo + pillar baggage + the rear apron has been worked-over (poor fit) + all remaining flaws noted by OP above = Walk.
Look-over the title/paperwork, & if "SALVAGE TITLE" appears: RUN.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

Keep shopping. Test drive several as you say you are gonna keep it. I mean a vehicle with honorable wear might be better.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
driver's door pillar is cracked right at the bottom above the heater channel

A picture would be helpful. Sounds terrible.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
a vehicle with honorable wear might be better.

A very nice way to summarize a good used car.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have a photo of the crack but it's all the way around so that when you open the door and lift it, you can see the door post move a little at the bottom. That might sound very ugly but I almost didn't catch it. The door dropped a little when I opened it, and that led me to keep digging.

You'd have to pull the carpet off that driver's kickwell, remove the front left fender, and pull the driver's seat to really get at it to see it all and reweld it.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at 1968, I could use some opinions Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:

Look-over the title/paperwork, & if "SALVAGE TITLE" appears: RUN.

HEY! That hurts!

Baby cover your ears he doesn't know you like I do.

Lmao

Whatever that red bug might be, it is not a basket case. This is a basket case. Tee hee hee

Buggeee wrote:
1972 Super Beetle rat that came home in a whole lotta pieces....

Good times Very Happy. Come on warm weather!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

That's quite a layout of parts! Yeah, that's not this situation for sure.

How much does it change the situation if you "got a guy" that can fix it?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Keep shopping. Test drive several as you say you are gonna keep it. I mean a vehicle with honorable wear might be better.

I agree- keep looking. But, you are clearly getting more inquisitive and observational on these beetles as you see them. Great work!

I am certain a better one will pop up- but I think you are getting way closer.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

Bugeees' original car looked crazy when it was spread all over the place, but it was a solid frame and solid body (his build thread is amazing, if you have a long cold evening to kill reading it). A cracked pillar and moving door hinge is *much* worse. Put this car out of your mind and keep looking. I searched for over a year before finally pulling the trigger on my '70 vert. No regrets.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

Trying to get 6 for mine. If it runs good id say its totally decent for 3500.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Bugeees' original car looked crazy when it was spread all over the place, but it was a solid frame and solid body... A cracked pillar and moving door hinge is *much* worse. Put this car out of your mind and keep looking. I searched for over a year before finally pulling the trigger on my '70 vert. No regrets.

Yeah it was the pans and heater channels that did me in when I went to meet mine. They were absolutely flawless. And the doors, the doors did not even sag when I opened them. Pull the trigger, click and they rotate out. A soft press and click, they latch. And it's a junkyard dog.

Pull, click. Press, click. Pull, click. Press, click..... mmmmm, how much?

I keep reminding my kids... "don't slam it! Its German. Listen.... click. Isn't that sweet?" They just look at me funny.

Everything else is legos to assemble.

It is rebuilt salvage, and Sanchez is right, branded titles drastically reduce the market value. But I felt confident that I could assess the car to know what I was getting into ahead of time, which is half the battle.

If you are not buying a car that you can work on yourself, best have some deep pockets if you are going to farm out the bulk of the work. Repairing a cracked structural member like that door pillar can be a trip down a rabbit hole for sure. Fun if you are into tea parties with the Mad Hatter, but outrageous risk if you are expecting to pay someone else for the unknown work.

In other words, "I know a guy who can fix" it is really cool. "I know a guy who devoted endless weekends away from his family, job, or hobbies to actually do the grunt work and did fix my bug" is another thing altogether. Think of the guys who can fix it as a Yoda you can visit for direction and encouragement but pick a project you intend to grunt out yourself. That way you won't get stuck.

If it was me, I'd look for things in a bug that drive down the price but are within the skill set that I have or I intend to develop during the project. I have gained mad skills (relatively speaking) during my relationship with this bug, starting with disciplines that felt familiar and got my bug buzzing around the cruises... and over time branching into uncharted territory as it interested me.

That is a really pretty red bug and my initial reaction was to say pay the asking price and send it to me! Very Happy. Then I read about the door pillar and thought, man that pretty bug is going to be stripped from the pan, great job in noticing that before you drove it home.

Happy bug hunting! The great part is they are out there, just waiting to present themselves for the next patron.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

Walk away. I would. Two scenarios. 1.) someone did a crappy job welding in new heater channels and the weld broke, so that begs the question, what are the rest of the welds like, 2. It was in a severe accident and broke the weld. Person who repaired did not know where to look for structural damages and just repaired the cosmetic items.

The A pillar is supposed to be welded to the heater channel all the way around it. You should not be able to lift the body off of the pan or itself for that matter. Something is foul there. I vote you keep looking or buy it dirt cheap($1000) and learn how to weld, hammer and paint!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at 1968, I could use some opinions Reply with quote

Agree, Buggeee.
Those last 2 pics aren't real far-off from Peter Aschwanden's classic sketch:
Shocked
Buggeee wrote:
This is a basket case. Tee hee hee

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 1968, I could use some advice Reply with quote

@FeelthySanchez, I thought of the same drawing when I saw his pics!

@VW_Jimbo, I'm a decent welder and part of me wants to nab it. If he'd sell it for cheaper, it would probably be in my driveway by now Smile But he won't. Not to me at least.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: