Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpaitich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Hi Everett,

Use of the word, "advert" in the text alert suggests a UK or African origin.

Ron
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Yes, this is a very good possibility, thanks for the tip for members

Also "the item" is often a red flag.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

A few minutes ago I received a text from [email protected]. It seemed like an unusual conversation and a quick google search led me here. Thanks for posting your troubles, it saved me some hassle.
G Falk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

another scammer in response to one of my ads: 509-739-7013, Offering an "immediate payment via PayPal", and that they "will bear the cost of moving the item". The "item" is a car!
'61 Samba Sold 3/27/20
'56 beetle amazon green 'vert Sold 7/19/21
'61 pacific blue ghia 'vert
'61 Turkis Standard sold 7/22
'62 sea blue ghia 'vert sold 1/21 to Ca
‘62 pacific blue survivor ghia sold to HI
'65 Velvet Single cab Sold
'66 Velvet Doublecab
‘59 cognac ghia coupe
'61 Pacific ghia 'vert 42k orig. miles
'83 Vanagon Westfalia Sold
'61 Mango walk thru Kombi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

The scammers have been texting people with a message and website link that leads to a fake Samba login page:
Text message with a link to a "free" website:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fake login page on that website

If you look at the address line at the top, this website is NOT from TheSamba.com

It's from "webhostapp.com"

If you enter your username/password on that page, they will steal your account information and use it to post scam ads here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

PatrickK wrote:
Here's one I got a few days ago. Google searched the number and it's on a couple reporting sites. 509-739-7013

I just got a text last night with almost identical wording.. I told him to add 10% for paypal fee and I had to have the money within two hours or no deal. LOL he wrote back and called me a scammer because paypal fee was 2.9%, and he was going to block me!
I removed my phone number from the listing. Everette is there any way to hide phone numbers? Most honest to goodness buyers will call if they really want to buy something as big as a car, so I hate to remove it entirely but I just don't want to deal with scammers at all hours.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Also it's really easy to use a phone number spoofing app.. all these numbers that are reported here may or may not be scammer numbers. They may just be made up phone numbers some scammer came up with at random.. usually (but not always) they are a similar number to your own phone number.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DL West-Wiperguy Premium Member
Samba's Wiperguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I see I'm not the only one who has been getting responses in messenger for item's I have just listed here. I have seen a few numbers on the list correspond with a few I have received. They all start out is this still available? I'm ok with the asking price. I need your full name and address to send check to. I started sending photos back to the number. I have like 5000 photos of stuff I have listed. I respond with are you getting the photos? I will send more if you like. LOL!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Sounds good to me - blow up their phone if you have the time
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Sounds good to me - blow up their phone if you have the time

use this for inspiration

Link

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
polakinnodak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Hey Everett and everyone else — I came across this text this morning. Doesn’t seem legit to me. Any thoughts?

If you guys think he’s a scammer, then there’s one more loser scum to add to the list.

DL West-Wiperguy Premium Member
Samba's Wiperguy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I have been sending them photos of parts I have listed like as many as you can before he blocks you. This works the last time I received one I seen the text this person has to pay 25 cents per photo. I sent about 100 Photo bomb!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

polakinnodak wrote:
Hey Everett and everyone else — I came across this text this morning. Doesn’t seem legit to me. Any thoughts?

If you guys think he’s a scammer, then there’s one more loser scum to add to the list.

This text is 100% scam text
Notch On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

New number to add to the list 213-433-0864. Text only would not get on a call. Wanted to send extra fund to have me pay his shipper.
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

New text scam by a guy that calls himself “Ofer” and claims he’s from LA California. This guy has stolen the real Ofer’s identity including his drivers license which he will gladly text to you to try to look legit. I have contacted the legit Ofer guy and he’s aware this dirt bag continues to scam people using his name. The # is ‭+1 (424) 245-2787‬.
DO NOT deal with this scammer!
70 911T
91 Westy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Yes, this person has been reported directly to me as well.
I have seen his fake driver's license as well.

The phone # is in my list on the site and has been blocked as he tried to also post a few ads here.
bradschroth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Look out for Ofer. He's an FBI agent!

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I made a thread for this person as they seem to be contacting a lot of people right now:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=737990
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I got this a few minutes after posting my ad.

New it was a scam when they asked for my info to mail check. Ad says cash or paypal.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: