Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I ended up ordering the ignition switch from CIP1, because I needed a door seal from them anyway. The switch was $20, and appears to be just like the one I took out, which I'm assuming was original. And now she's starting like a champ again! Dancing

Incidentally, I placed the order with CIP1 Sunday night, and had the part in my hand today (Tuesday) by 2pm. Can't beat that!

Perfect timing, too, since my SUV is having problems now... Sad

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I ended up ordering the ignition switch from CIP1, because I needed a door seal from them anyway. The switch was $20, and appears to be just like the one I took out, which I'm assuming was original. And now she's starting like a champ again! Dancing

Incidentally, I placed the order with CIP1 Sunday night, and had the part in my hand today (Tuesday) by 2pm. Can't beat that!

Perfect timing, too, since my SUV is having problems now... Sad

Nice! How long did it take to install the switch?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Once I remembered the key has to be inserted and turned to 'accessories' before sliding it onto the column, it only took about 10 minutes. I think I read that somewhere in the Samba, because I didn't see it in Bentleys.

After doing this procedure and after doing the sliding door refresh a couple weeks ago, I've decided there aren't any repairs too tough to attempt. Before replacing the ignition switch, I thought it would be a difficult thing. But it ain't!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Once I remembered the key has to be inserted and turned to 'accessories' before sliding it onto the column, it only took about 10 minutes. I think I read that somewhere in the Samba, because I didn't see it in Bentleys.

After doing this procedure and after doing the sliding door refresh a couple weeks ago, I've decided there aren't any repairs too tough to attempt. Before replacing the ignition switch, I thought it would be a difficult thing. But it ain't!

Awesome! 10 minutes isn't bad at all! Maybe you'll cut it down to 8 minutes when your new switch fails in 2 months and you have to change it again!! Razz

Joking. Hopefully it's a decent switch and lasts you years.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Awesome! 10 minutes isn't bad at all! Maybe you'll cut it down to 8 minutes when your new switch fails in 2 months and you have to change it again!! Razz

Shocked ..... Laughing

In case that does happen, I took BusDaddy's advice and bought a second one.
He pointed out how easy it is to detach the electrical plug from below the switch, plug in a new one (without removing anything else), and turn the switch using a screwdriver. Ingenious!

CIP1 has 3 different switches available... from $8 to $20. The $20 says its OE quality, so that's what I went with.
Time will tell, since the old one only lasted 43 years....the cheap German piece of $#|¥. Laughing

Oh...and I installed the hot start relay a couple months ago when the difficult starting got worse. So that should also make the switch last longer. (However, it appears my old switch wore out where the key part of the switch inserts into the electrical portion. It wallowed out the plastic slot, so the switch wouldn't turn completely. It wasn't the electrical portion of the switch that went bad.)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

It's a cold morning here... (55*!!! How do people live in such harsh conditions?!?) ...so I've been sitting here and reading thru some of the old Samba threads. And I started looking thru this thread and the progress that has been made over the past couple years. It dawned on me how great it was to document this process, from purchase to today's purring/running vehicle. I can look back and reminisce (and cringe at times) on the successes (and failures) that have popped up along the way.

So I'd recommend to my fellow newbies to start a thread of your own. Not only will you have a record of your progress, but you will have all the sage advice from the experienced Sambanistas. This will not only document your progress, but will also help motivate other newbies in the future... like Sambosamba22 did for me when I first visited The Samba.

---WildIdea

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Always kind, always supportive. Kent, you’ve done a marvelous job, it’s amazing what a fella can learn from an old forgotten bus. Almost makes ya feel like smilin and cryin’ Laughing

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I scored bigtime this past weekend... Dancing

At BBB, dstimm (Daryl) stopped by for a beer and a good chat. He mentioned he had a friend in Encinitas who had a running 2.0l GD engine for sale... with AMC heads! Daryl was kind enough to put me in contact with the seller, and I drove over and picked it up yesterday. It's a working engine, but has low compression on #1.

My original thought was to harvest the heads, rebuild them, and use them on the 1.8l I'm building (with lots of help from my very experienced type 4 engine friend). However, he suggested ditching the 1.8, and concentrate on building up the 2.0. So that's the focus currently. Once the heads are rebuilt, we will re-evaluate.

EDIT: The heads are square port, so useless with my set up. Luckily, a friend to the south needs square port, and has oval port heads to exchange. I'm crossing my fingers they are good enough to rebuild.

On a different subject, when Robbie was here last, he showed me how to access the clutch cable and clevis pin...

Whew! Caught that baby in the nick o' time! Robbie had me grease up the pivot point. Now the clutch is smooth as new.

---WildIdea

Last edited by KentABQ on Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Where’s this pivot??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Where’s this pivot??

It is where the clutch cable attaches to the clutch pedal.
It's a wee bit tricky to access, but not too bad.

---WildIdea

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Grease is clearly overrated. Wink Another Bay forum member meticulously greased that pin for years on his bus. It never had any wear on the pin.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I dare the new pin to wear!
I greased it with a giant dollop of Corn Head Grease. Cool

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

It's amazing how life can change suddenly when you're not looking... Shocked

This long-term born-n-raised California boy is picking up stakes and moving to Florida.

As many have mentioned in other threads, the cost of living in California is rising with no end in sight, and available work in my field is slowing down. Luckily, I have an excellent job opportunity in Orlando that is too good to pass up.
So this California Hillbilly is headin' East! Arrow

Plans call for moving everything except Chloe this May. And then in the Fall, I'll fly back and take a leisurely drive east in Chloe, stopping to see whatever looks good along en route. I'm hoping to cross paths with a few Sambanistas on the way. And if there are any big meets around that time of year (later Sept or Oct.), I'll make travel arrangements around it.

Any recommendations of VW gatherings in the south that occur around Sept or Oct? Also, I'm open for ideas on routes or great stopping places along the way. I'm pretty unfamiliar with any camping opportunities east of Arizona. Embarassed
And I'm especially interested in avoiding congested metro areas.

---WildIdea

andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I got a recommendation.......

My house.

Murphy will need a snuggle buddy as Big Emma will have flown the coop long before then.

Robbie can tell you where to find the key.

white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Also, I'm open for ideas on routes or great stopping places along the way. I'm pretty unfamiliar with any camping opportunities east of Arizona. Embarassed

Maybe try to get a hold of Colin (Amskeptic). I'm sure he could give you plenty of advice on those sorts of things!

We'll look forward to seeing you, when you and Chloe get to the sunshine state.

Later,
a.
Cool
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

This long-term born-n-raised California boy is picking up stakes and moving to Florida.

As many have mentioned in other threads, the cost of living in California is rising with no end in sight, and available work in my field is slowing down. Luckily, I have an excellent job opportunity in Orlando that is too good to pass up.

Plans call for moving everything except Chloe this May. And then in the Fall, I'll fly back and take a leisurely drive east in Chloe, stopping to see whatever looks good along en route. I'm hoping to cross paths with a few Sambanistas on the way. And if there are any big meets around that time of year (later Sept or Oct.), I'll make travel arrangements around it.

Any recommendations of VW gatherings in the south that occur around Sept or Oct? Also, I'm open for ideas on routes or great stopping places along the way. I'm pretty unfamiliar with any camping opportunities east of Arizona. Embarassed

Wow... there's a life change. You're going to love, love, love the humidity! Oh and the bugs are epic as well. You're going from 120° 8% humidity to 105° with 100% humidity.

Well played! Laughing

Reach out when you cross the desert thought PHX. You can stop by and say hi to Eva and I.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
KentPS wrote:

Wow... there's a life change. You're going to love, love, love the humidity! Oh and the bugs are epic as well. You're going from 120° 8% humidity to 105° with 100% humidity.

Well played! Laughing

Reach out when you cross the desert thought PHX. You can stop by and say hi to Eva and I.

Stop mid day, his HOA sucks Laughing no nighttime camping! Crying or Very sad

I will say his hospitality and friendly family sure made up for it though Very Happy Bill is a great guy!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Driving through the Southeast, you know where to find me.
The Eureka Springs show is the last weekend of August. Roughly 300 VW's in one of the oldest, funkiest towns in the state, folks from 12 states come to this show.
Kent, you're more than welcome to attend, us "Southerners" would be happy to welcome you and give tips on an appropriate accent Cool

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Andrewtf:
I may just have to stretch my route a little bit to the north so I can meet you, Mrs TF, and Murphy after all this time. We've shared parts, stories and Riviera insights, and I've met Emma, Sven and the Big E, but not the rest of the gang yet. That oversight needs to be corrected. Very Happy

White74Westy:
I'm looking forward to meeting a new group of fellow VW aficionados. What part of FL do you live in?

Wcfvw68:
You are high on my list to meet, Bill. You've provided so much good info in the past couple years, as well as a beautifully rebuilt, correct distributor. I'd love to meet you and Eva. And see your distributor rebuild process, if possible.

Stu:
If you are still hanging around SoCal in mid-April, Xevin and I may have to track you down when we tootle thru the OC and San Diego. So don't head north quite yet, okay?

Sambosamba22:
As I've said before, your thread was my first read in The Samba, and provided me with a lot of incentive even before Chloe was delivered to me. So heck yeah, I'd love to meet you and see the PushPop.
As for the accent... well, I have this terrible habit of unknowingly imitating people's accents while talking with them. My former father-in-law was a Texan, and the first time we met, he started laughing uncontrollably after a couple hours. He was laughing at a Texas accent coming out of a California boy. I found out later my former wife was horrified that he might punch me when I started talking that way. But we ended up being great friends, and still are even though his daughter and I split 35 years ago.
So if I start sounding a little too native, try not to punch, okay Sam? Laughing

---WildIdea

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Stu:
If you are still hanging around SoCal in mid-April, Xevin and I may have to track you down when we tootle thru the OC and San Diego. So don't head north quite yet, okay?

All goes well i will start here in march:
https://angelescrest.com/

So ill be in cali for a while. Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 57

Jump to: