Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 brochure pics oddity
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

While searching through the brochures looking for info on paint colors, I noticed something odd in the engine compartment pics in a couple of 68 bus brochures.

Look to the left and just below the distributor vacuum can in this pic. Blow it up for a better view.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also in this brochure, in the pic of the engine, you can see what appears to be the same thing, but more blurry.

Any ideas what that is? Maybe a sending unit for an oil pressure gauge or something? Some sort of pre-production smog stuff? If it were only on one bus in one photo, I would think maybe it was a typical VW brochure paintbrush error or something. But it looks to be two completely different buses with the same device(s).
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

Hmmm...., the distributor looks odd and the vacuum can excessively large as well, maybe some cut and pasting gone wrong?
I can't think of anything down there that would look like that Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

Kinda... sorta... looks like this alleged 1967 Ghia engine...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

Flux Capacitor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

Rare electric Supercharger option.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Something else I notice about this pic - this new bus lists to port just like my 50 year old truck 😜
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

I'd guess it's some type of smog/emissions pump, maybe a Euro thing, or maybe something required on imports in the US at the time.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

oil filter
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
oil filter

It does look like a black spin on filter on top of a small pedestal, but what's the roundish thing peeking out below it?. Too small for an A/C compressor and no extra belts visible, hmmm.....

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Hmmm...., the distributor looks odd and the vacuum can excessively large as well, maybe some cut and pasting gone wrong?
I can't think of anything down there that would look like that Confused

That looks to be a classic vacuum only distributor that is merely catching the light handsomely. The other thingamabob? Who knows?

I looked in the 1968 Owner's Manual and saw nothing that corresponds. Then I noted that all the black painted pieces look bleached out whitish. 1968's version of "lightness" to help you see where components are?
Colin
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

No smog pumps in 1968. We were still debating if cars caused smog.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

And if cigarettes cause cancer...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

The 1968 912 did have a smog pump. If for whatever reason this was installed on the Bus for that same year in the brochure - to meet emission standards, or whatever...it's in the correct place the OP noticed the abnormality.

In this 912, it sits a little high up, but in a Type 2 Bus I imagine it would sit just at, or a bit above the rear apron, just like in the brochure.

https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/2017/12/07/196...emissions/

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

I think smog pumps were started in the early 60s but not on Bays until the Type 4 engine
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brochure pics oddity Reply with quote

In the red engine compartment, the thing to the left looks like it may be a gauge sending unit. It appears to be a can with two terminals on top.

In the white photo you can better see the chrome/silver item below the distributor. It looks like some sort of vacuum diaphragm to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: