Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie-Should I buy this bus question!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

aaronski wrote:
white74westy wrote:

Many of us have already done what you intend to, and others are still in the process of doing so. From several thousands of miles away, it is abundantly clear, that there is a lot of rust on that vehicle. One thing you can be sure of, is that there is a ton more, hiding beneath what you can see. Again, there are a million threads on here, that will show you just what type of can of worms you are opening up. The cancer is always deeper than it appears on the surface. They almost all rot in the same places, that's why you're getting the advice you're getting. Not trying to dissuade you, its just that more often than not, most people embark on this journey, and quickly realize there is so much more than one initially bargained for.

Man, I really appreciate all your advice! I've been a lurker for years. my dream is to do an EV conversion. I have the Ev chops to do that no problem. time and money get in the way. I think I"ll offer 3k, with the knowledge that yea, I"m getting in over my head-will likely have fun, hit a brick wall, and sell to the next guy. Or not, my EV projects started that way, and now I have a custom frame EV-moto-Bicyle that I built, programmed myself, which will do 13HP to the wheel and have used to replace my car for most things.

once again, thank you everyone for all your kind and harsh words, saying what needs to be said is super helpful!

I also plan to eventually convert my bus to EV, not for a long time though. Here’s a nice little video I actually found yesterday on the subject:

https://youtu.be/0WjzO9xBhbg

Personally, I’m waiting for batteries to get smaller and cheaper... Apparently battery technology is advancing very quickly at the moment

In terms of the bus, I’d say just go for it if you feel you can afford it. If it ends up being an absolute bucket, well at least you tried, sell it or keep it as a cozy lawn ornament clubhouse type thing. On the other hand, there will always be another bus, but finding any bus in running condition is getting rarer and rarer in my local area for a $5k budget unfortunately.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Erik - the next technology that will evolve for cars is probably alcohol. There are already trial plants that sequester CO2 from the atmosphere and turn it into alcohol. That MAY be the future.
kinggeorge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Kinda wondering if we will ever hear from ol' aaronski again.... He joined and engaged that one evening with questions and then gone. Maybe he missed getting the bus and has moved on. I was hoping to hear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aaronski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

kinggeorge13 wrote:
Kinda wondering if we will ever hear from ol' aaronski again.... He joined and engaged that one evening with questions and then gone. Maybe he missed getting the bus and has moved on. I was hoping to hear.

Fear not. My family showed up and stole my time, but, I bought a different bus instead, and drove it home today. Much, much less rust, little more money.

interior much cleaner, paint in good ish shape, camper doors etc all there, or mostly there, top camper fabric in good shape, cot present and in good shape, with questionable stains.
Driving it home from across the island was a blast. That coastal cruise is normally a bit of a snooze but in the bus its an adventure.

I have a host of questions, I"m guessing I should start some threads for them. In fact, I will now.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

really no need. keep them all right here, unless you want to drop some in the stupid question thread.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Please keep your questions in this thread. That way anyone reading will remember who you are, your bus and can take into account your whole story, which helps to provide better answers.

Glad you found a better bus. Having a one you can drive is a huge bonus. Rust is the hardest and most time consuming thing to fix. MIG welders are fairly cheap and learning to weld is not that hard. You can chip away at it while enjoying it. All these repairs have been done before, so there are lots of descriptions with pics of deconstructed buses.

Please post some pics of your new ride. Happy trails!
kinggeorge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

I've been on the Big Island a couple times now for vacation. My wife and I plan to return in the next year or so. Just an amazing place. I've seen a couple older VW's there including a few dune buggies being rented out in Kailua-Kona that look awesomely cool. Carburated VW engines even. I've yet to see a bay window on the road there. I'm sure they are around or in people's garages but probably not many on that particular island: I'd have to wonder if there are many or any garages that work on them there. Some dealerships here where I live push back on taking them in for servicing: they have no more techs that understand the old systems and cannot easily get parts from their regular sources (yes, there are lots of parts out there but not where a dealership service wants to spend time hunting them down).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

I say live the dream! your kids will grow up very quickly! My three grew up in mine, and have amazing memories! So will yours!
aaronski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

I removed second post and rolled it all into this one. here's the other:
Thanks everyone for all your help. I decided to check out an alternate bus and it was just so obvious that it was the one to buy. It's a '70 westy, peach color, some rust but not bad, I'd say 10% of the first one I looked at. Previous one didn't idle, and didn't want to rev past maybe 3k? This one is a bit rough for a minute from cold then runs fine.

Honestly, I was freaking out about the purchase just because, what have I done? But then I got it home, put it in the the car port, and the kids immediately swarmed it and started playing. The 2 year old making vrooming noises and grabbing the comically oversized wheel, and the 8 year old climbing into the loft and opening the windows. Went for a fun little drive around town with my wife after dinner, and everything felt much better.
Wife and I even watched a movie in there after putting the kids to bed.

Now comes the business- Here's my to-do list, feel free to chime in, But I'll be scraping the forums for most of this info.

-new lights all around-LED, cheap-hopefully this exists. one headlight is out, so might as well start here.

-Oil change-need to figure out what's best for a 50 year old air cooled engine.

-RUST-whats the best way to slow it down? I dunno, gotta figure it out. it has some sort of electric rust inhibotor system installed but not active. sounds like snake oil. I'm guessing just keeping it out of the weather will help a lot, it has a nice dry place in the car-port.

Lastly, Anything I'm missing guys? I'll get to how to do a tuneup at some point, but that's down the line a bit I think.

Thanks-
Aaronski

After feedback from others, I"m going to inspect brakes-suspension-steering first.

I can weld and do have a terrible mig welder, back on the mainland, that I'll have to ship over at some point. I'll post some pics this afternoon. Now back to my day job Wink
aaronski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Slight problem I can’t get the kids out to work on it. Little one loves to steer and shift.
Today I repaired the stereo, got to know the wiring and fuse box, ripped some subwoofer out, and wired in a trickle charger so I can plug the bus in easy. Found a blown fuse, oiled the door hinges, and ordered some rust preventative. Ospho. Oh, and my landlord came by, said”I thought I heard an air cooled vw” and told me how he used to do engine swaps between bus and 911’s... that’s convenient. Landlord neighbor is an old vw mechanic. Very Happy
kinggeorge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Awesome looking bus! Amazing condition too. I think you made a good decision. Of course I say that exact sentence to anyone who buys any VW bus. ha ha

I would like to reiterate though from what I said a few days ago. Unless you already know the recent repair/maintenance details for certain, I personally would prioritize:

1. Change Oil
2. All new fuel hoses
3. Valve Adjustment (and timing) and install new valve cover gaskets
4. New Transmission fluid
5. Grease job
6. Brake check

All are relatively easy to do, highly documented and great learning processes. And they will help ensure your bus lives an even longer and happy life I'd do every one of them BEFORE embarking on much driving.

The transmission fluid may not be quite a critical but considering the cost of repairs and who know when or if its ever been replaced before, I always do it. Just make sure you loosen/remove the filler plug on the side of the transmission before removing the drain plug at the bottom rear. Nothing worse than draining it only to find you cannot then get the filler plug out.
aaronski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

kinggeorge13 wrote:
A. Just make sure you loosen/remove the filler plug on the side of the transmission before removing the drain plug at the bottom rear. Nothing worse than draining it only to find you cannot then get the filler plug out.

Thanks for the warning. I bought the valvoline oil last night, and oil catch pan, and funnels. I'll start there. I would guess I'll be doing 500 miles/year so I'm not too worried about the transmission, but the brakes suck.I don't know if that's normal? like, pushing down with 40-50 lbs force to stop at a light? quite the workout.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

[quote="aaronski"]
kinggeorge13 wrote:
the brakes suck.I don't know if that's normal? like, pushing down with 40-50 lbs force to stop at a light? quite the workout.

Not normal. Totally fixable. Plan a complete inspection and remediate anything that looks suspect. Flexible hoses and fluid should be replaced as matter of course. This is something you need to be confident and competent in doing.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Not necessarily true. I own and have owned since new a 1970 Westfalia Camper. It has always been under-braked. I have always replaced with the softest shoes I can. The '71 disc brake improvement fixed the problem. The campers are heavy!

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

wihr wrote:
Not necessarily true. I own and have owned since new a 1970 Westfalia Camper. It has always been under-braked. I have always replaced with the softest shoes I can. The '71 disc brake improvement fixed the problem. The campers are heavy!

WW

Can you lock the tires at any speed?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Great choice on buying a bus in better condition.
Mostly congrats, to you and the moments to be shared with your little family. Life is good in the slow lane Cool

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

aaronski wrote:

Slight problem I can’t get the kids out to work on it. Little one loves to steer and shift.
Today I repaired the stereo, got to know the wiring and fuse box, ripped some subwoofer out, and wired in a trickle charger so I can plug the bus in easy. Found a blown fuse, oiled the door hinges, and ordered some rust preventative. Ospho. ... Very Happy

Why do you suppose that is, about kids just naturally liking buses? Colors, maybe? Plus, they can get from the back to the front on a walk thru. I never had kids of my own, but drove buses and vanagon. Kinda like the pied piper!
While you're lubing things, lube the REAR sliding door hinge loop. BOTH ends. Works best to take the rear track cover off, but that's a PITA. That is one of the few places the owner's manual tell you to lube with a drip can.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: