Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What goes in these holes?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

that could be a 1977 rail. Let me look when I get home tonight. If not tonight it will be Monday due to a wedding we are headed to tonight.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Those are some good pics (it's one of the engines I'm trying emulate) but they are of the passenger side whereas I'm looking at the drivers side fuel rail.

I can tell on yours though that you have soft lines at the rear instead of the metal ones on later models.

I think it's a worthy upgrade anyway and since my goal is to be stock or better.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Here is the correct 77 fuel line diagram, I guess I accidentally clicked on the wrong ratwell link:o

The only line I'm concerned about is the hardline that goes around the tank and the. Connected to a rubber line before connecting to the fuel filter. The pic makes it look like its in front of the tank but I thought it was routed on the outside of the firewall (transmission side).
mango-smoothie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Here is a picture of the unrun factory engine and it has the philips cheese head screws. Don't know the date of manufacture, but it is supposed to be an 1800. I can attest to it having very shallow dishes in the pistons as per an 1800.

i have several questions...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

looks like the correct rail. The blue tape is over the end of my fuel rail.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Any comments about upgrading to later metal fuel lines? Are the lines to and from the fuel tank easy to get to with the engine out?
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

You may want to try a bulkhead fitting for the fuel line similar to what I did with mine. All brass fittings and it’s still holding up fine as of today:

And FTR I used the cheesehead screws, and in some special spots even used M4 hex bolts :gasp: Very Happy

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm that the starter wire grommet looks like this? Or what the correct part # is?

I don't think the size is correct though as I measured the hole to be around 19.5mm.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111971907
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
You may want to try a bulkhead fitting for the fuel line similar to what I did with mine. All brass fittings and it’s still holding up fine as of today:

And FTR I used the cheesehead screws, and in some special spots even used M4 hex bolts :gasp: Very Happy

Nice bulkhead fitting and those expensive ABA clamps? No “take a chance” on those... Wink
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Can anyone confirm that the starter wire grommet looks like this? Or what the correct part # is?

I don't think the size is correct though as I measured the hole to be around 19.5mm.

Anyone?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

Anyone?

I got my parts in today and I'm happy to report that part #111971907 did fit the hole and the positive battery cable fit through it as well.

While searching I came upon vwheritage.com who not only had this part but they also had the socket head screws with the integrated washer, part #AC1984506B.
https://www.vwheritage.com/ac1984506b-tinware-screw-100-piece-socket-head-set-vw-spare

Although they are based in England their shipping was super reasonable to the US ($10). That's cheaper than a lot of US based retailers.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

One more hole I need help identifying, this time it's on the interior next to the shifter upper left side.

What's it for and is there a part # for it or is it just a generic plug?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

It's for the wiring harness when an auto shifter is installed, duct tape or a rubber plug from your FLAPS will close it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Ok thanks.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
All type 4 tin has that dipstick hole, it's a carryover from the sedan.
1st pic is alternator harness.
2nd pic is throttle cable, grommet is NLA AFAIK.
3rd is brake vacuum line (I think)
4th is plug wire clip
5th is dipstick (not used on bus), screw for lower deflector and thermo cable

Looking good in there Cool

Anyone have a part number for #3, that grommet for a vacuum line? I'm also having trouble finding the grommet for the alternator harness. All the ones I come across are for earlier buses and they are too big for the hole.

I found it. Its actually a grommet for an 8mm fuel line, part #111127591A

#6 on this diagram

However that leads to a new problem for me. In the above picture, it appears that the fuel rail is a hardline that goes through the firewall as well as along the rear of the engine. My lines are rubber. Does that mean my lines have been cut or that I'm using a non stock part?

Does this look right?

No, you are using carb fuel line clamps and should be using FI clamps that don't pinch the rubber fuel line. Cuts cause fires as the fuel line is under 30-40psi!
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Those clamps were on the bus when I got it however I'll be replacing all the clamps with ABA style claps that won't cut the hose when it's tightened.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Oetiker are even better but you have to plan ahead a bit , and have the right tools
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Oetiker are even better but you have to plan ahead a bit , and have the right tools

I actually have some of those (for the fuel injectors) but I want planning on using them only because they are one time use only and knowing me I'd need to remove them to fix my mistakes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: