Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introduction and build thread 1969 notch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
What up Steve. You say the word and we can trade any day. I have lusted for you fast back for years now. Laughing

I haven't started a build thread on the fastback because I'm only allowed to work on one car at a time. I'm afraid if I do to much the wife will catch on Very Happy . for now I have a fresh 1914 going in it with dual DCNF that are currently in route to California. They will be worked over by Gary Berg. this should get the fastback moving. I'm getting tired of pushing it around the shop! Then I will start on the breaks. New soft lines and rebuilt master. the drums, shoes, pads, and calipers as well as bearings all look new. Planning on having the fastback ready for the summer. all this without the wife finding out. When she ask what I'm up to out in the shed I tell her I'm just cleaning parts for her notchbacks return. Laughing

Leo, do you really think Ellen believes you when you tell her that?
I do know exactly what you mean by hating having to push a car around. Those things get heavy after a while. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

When my wife starts showing the least little bit of interest I just drive right in..

"Check this out, honey, see how this thingie fits of this little doodad here?
Ain't it just the coolest?
Then this whatchamacallit fits over on this here, and see how it's polished AND chromed??"

Her eyes glaze over and she tries to immediately leave.
And that leads to me doing whatever I want! Very Happy

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
Then baffle them with bullshit".
-WC Fields

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
When my wife starts showing the least little bit of interest I just drive right in..

"Check this out, honey, see how this thingie fits of this little doodad here?
Ain't it just the coolest?
Then this whatchamacallit fits over on this here, and see how it's polished AND chromed??"

Her eyes glaze over and she tries to immediately leave.
And that leads to me doing whatever I want! Very Happy

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
Then baffle them with bullshit".
-WC Fields

You're lucky Steve, Sue comes out and helps me put that thingy on the whatchamacallit, and then helps doing something else too. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
RAIDER SS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

No, YOU are lucky, Bob, when "Sue comes out and helps me put that thingy on the whatchamacallit, and then helps doing something else too." Cool
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

To funny you guys. When Ellen and I first started dating she was out in the garage with me all the time and turned out to be a good hand, She helped out more then she got in the way is what I mean. she helped a bunch on the notch and that's when the notch became hers. after the 2012 invasion she decided she wanted to keep it 100 percent stock and that's not my cup of tea so my focus quickly changed to the square back. Now after 10 years she don't get out to the shed much. Its more my domain. and I'm ok with that I enjoy my me time in the shed. I know if I need her to help all I have to do is give her a call and she comes right out to help and I like it better that way. Now that there is no way that the notch will be done by this summer she is excited to drive the fastback so I'm guessing that is why she is turning a blind eye to the funds I have allocated to the fastback.

Good time fellas. appericate your comments and feed back

and I would start a build thread on the fastback Steve but for now it will just be getting a fresh moter and brakes so we can enjoy her this summer. I am on the hunt for Pigalle parts for the fastback if you hear of any pleas keep me in mind.

Leo
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
To funny you guys. When Ellen and I first started dating she was out in the garage with me all the time and turned out to be a good hand, She helped out more then she got in the way is what I mean. she helped a bunch on the notch and that's when the notch became hers. after the 2012 invasion she decided she wanted to keep it 100 percent stock and that's not my cup of tea so my focus quickly changed to the square back. Now after 10 years she don't get out to the shed much. Its more my domain. and I'm ok with that I enjoy my me time in the shed. I know if I need her to help all I have to do is give her a call and she comes right out to help and I like it better that way. Now that there is no way that the notch will be done by this summer she is excited to drive the fastback so I'm guessing that is why she is turning a blind eye to the funds I have allocated to the fastback.

Good time fellas. appericate your comments and feed back

and I would start a build thread on the fastback Steve but for now it will just be getting a fresh moter and brakes so we can enjoy her this summer. I am on the hunt for Pigalle parts for the fastback if you hear of any pleas keep me in mind.

Leo

That's pretty good as I saw your son working closely with Jim Adney trying to get the FI system up and working. Wink
Don't get me wrong, as I saw Ellen watching him and Jim like a hawk, even running back to the house to get more parts at times. Cool I also saw you install the fuel tank. Laughing All of that while trying to get a piece of broken speedo cable out of the speedometer input shaft for my own car, as I needed it on my return trip (speedo working).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Good times for sure Bob. love this hobby ad the people we meet along the way. Cool
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Another piece of the puzzle found. I was lucky to pick up the last set of notchback specific rockers that ISP had. So stoked as the rust repair can continue on the notchback.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Another piece of the puzzle found. I was lucky to pick up the last set of notchback specific rockers that ISP had. So stoked as the rust repair can continue on the notchback.

Nice, it's always good when you have the bits you need before you actually need them. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I thought I had all I needed but after learning that the notch rockers where specific to notchback's (Thanks ISP) You know me Bob I can't be sporting square back rockers on my notchback. many people do as it will work but I want this notch to be correct in every way possible.
Leo
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

I have to admit I was nervous when my metal fab guy told me he took my expensive notchback rockeres apart in 3 pieces to do the install correctly. But after seeing it it's how it should be done. They are at media blast now getting blasted inside and out then he will weld in each layer one at a time. The rocker install will be seamless and they should never rust again.
Opinions?

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

WOW that sure looks rustier than when I saw it back in 2012. At least you're getting after it, so it won't rust in the future.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Yeah, that's how you're supposed to do it for sure.

Got to get in there and stop the rust, or they'll keep on rusting from the inside out.

There's the limits of how much weld-thru primer can remain after the heat of welding,
How much it still protects seamed joints after being burned by the welder..

How much weld-thru primer will prevent the spot/tack welds from sticking if you put it on thick enough to protect well..

The magic of capillary action and 'butterfinger rust' between panels..

Seam-seal can trap water underneath between joints forever if there's just ONE pin-hole to let water in..

You'll drive yourself crazy if you think too much about it.
Do the best you can and rally on, brother..!

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Exactly. Cool And you don't have to screw around with it as much as Steve is doing with his own car either. Yours wasn't hit sometime in it's life. That makes doing a lot of the work easier in the long run. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, Steve I appericate the feed back. I want this restoration to stand the test of time so fixing the rust inside and out is important to me, plus my metal fab guy wont do it any other way. Not cheep by any means but at least I know its getting done right. More picks to follow as he tells me the rockers will be done by end of weekend.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Sweet. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

WOW, there's a lot of pin hole rust in those pieces. Makes you wonder how bad the originals are.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Yeah,
That’s how it goes, brother.
Where they rust on one car, they rust on another..

Looks like your guy might be un-zipping the outer rockers in-place on the car,
So maybe the inners can stay in place, and patch-pieces from the replacements
Can be used..

Looking forward to seeing what is in there,
And what strategy ends up being deployed to solve the riddle.

Keep us posted,
I’m all excited to see what’s in there,
And how your guy goes about doing this..! Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Yeah,
That’s how it goes, brother.
Where they rust on one car, they rust on another..

Looks like your guy might be un-zipping the outer rockers in-place on the car,
So maybe the inners can stay in place, and patch-pieces from the replacements
Can be used..

Looking forward to seeing what is in there,
And what strategy ends up being deployed to solve the riddle.

Keep us posted,
I’m all excited to see what’s in there,
And how your guy goes about doing this..! Cool

Agreed. I was thinking along the same lines. And dealing with rust, there's no easy way around it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: