Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Zincro Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
What happened to the gold rear trailing arms? And also did you put on new spring perches on the gold trailing arms?

The trailing arms were zinc'd and then powdered over. They didn't look all that great so we broke it up and went with black. The original perches were fine so we left them alone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
it doesn't look like you are running a decoupler.
so the 14in spare isn't going to be much use with 225/70/16 tires on the other corners. unless you find a ~28in diam. 14in tire.

outwesty wrote:

Stock brakes all around. I will want to be able to use the 14" spare in the stock location (will also have a swing out for the 225 70 16's that are going on the CLK's) I figure the CLK's are light enough that it will cancel out the swing out weight Wink We toyed with the idea of putting the 16" spare inside against a wall with a cabinet around it, but there just isn't room to pull it off cleanly. Fox shocks in the rear and Bilsteins in the front. Not sure if that set up will stay but its what we had laying around at the moment.

Quote:
225/70R16 tires have a diameter of 28.4", a section width of 8.9", and a wheel diameter of 16". The circumference is 89.2" and they have 710 revolutions per mile.

The second 14" spare will be for extreme emergencies and in that case I would pop the drive shaft out if I had to use it. I've always wanted to drive to inuvik and this may be the van that happens in so I'd like it to have two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

[quote="metropoj"]
outwesty wrote:
tencentlife wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

outwesty, beautiful build.

May I inquire about the grille on the side of that red Westy ? I'm assuming fridge ventilation ? If so, stock fridge or ?

I read a few times about the biggest prob with the stock Dometic is getting rid of that heat ....

Replace with Truckfridge ? Yeah I get it but can't justify it with only a few roadtrips a year and a like Yeti style rotoform cooler onboard ...

That is actually just a magnet you are seeing. It is one of our rental vans and they run around with magnets when they are around town. We have 7 rental vans and they all have truckfridges. We have had no issues with them just using the stock westy cabinet vent.

Last edited by outwesty on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Recaros are back from upholstery. The bench seat will be done the same way. The rear mattress pad will have plaid on the top and vinyl on the bottoms and sides with a zipper that runs two sides to make removal easier. The Fabric is OG Mercedes G wagen.

If anyone knows where I can find another set of these older style arm rests let me know. They were missing when I acquired the seats. Van is getting wet sanded right now. Hope to have it back and on the lift mid next week.

tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Hey Everyone!
It's been a long time, great to see everyone checking out this thread. This is just a wonderful build from a truly dedicated guy and it's all being done right. It's been a long time in coming...I met Dave in 2010 in the Arctic circle (above pic of Dave), since then we have brainstormed, traveled, planned, traveled more and become great friends. I am super excited to get to turn a wrench on this van soon! This is going to be one incredible ride when it's finished!

I hope you all are doing great, I am still out there on the road a lot, last was 6,000 mile trip on two wheels and, of course, always watching out for a van in need...last was at a campground on the Oregon coast. I'm in my tent and I hear a van pull in(running poorly), the woman gets out talking to herself and says ..."If I could just find a stupid mechanic to work on it..." I get out, find the disscontected O2 sensor wire and make a friend for life.
Vanagon, the gift that keeps giving:)

I hope you are all doing great and having amazing adventures! (nice knob tencent!)

Keep them pics coming Dave!
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Todd. We will get you back into a Vanagon one of these days. Todd is missing them so much hes coming out from CO for a week to give a hand in putting this back together. We have done a ton of traveling and have met up on numerous adventures since that day. It may have never happened in another vehicle....

quick update. Ordered the in dash AC system from smallcar. We have a Parker hose shop across the street so I'm slowly putting that together. They are also making the power steering lines but say they can't reuse/ recrimp the restrictor that's in the high pressure hose to the pump so haven't had those made yet. I suppose you may not hear the whine over the diesel clatter without it anyway.

Another batch of hardware came back from Zinc. Anything on the outside gets Amsoil waxed. This stuff is bomber. I use it on all of my winter driven vehicles on the entire undercarriage. A normal pressure washer will not take it off unless it is very hot.

newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Very cool stuff. How is that TDI going to be smog legal though?
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
...Anything on the outside gets Amsoil waxed. This stuff is bomber. I use it on all of my winter driven vehicles on the entire undercarriage. A normal pressure washer will not take it off unless it is very hot.

Which Amsoil product are you using for this ? I had a number of cans of the Motorcycle Chain Lube which worked great, kind of a waxy film that seemed to stick to everything and was a corrosion inhibitor. had a bit of a smell to it so using in interior wise is a bit of an issue ...

Curious which one you used..... Thanks in advance !
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:

Diesel conversions are given a pass in California. Doesn’t seem to make sense but it does fly. Someone else can chime in on the specifics as I know very little about it but confirmed this when looking into repowering my van. My wife wanted to be assured if we ever moved to California that we wouldn’t have trouble registering our van.

Outwesty, incredible build! Great approach with all of the corrosion protection. I’m jealous. Wish my van had as many zinc plated parts. Well done and I look forward to following your progress.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:

Pre 98 Diesels are exempt from smog in CA.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
outwesty wrote:
...Anything on the outside gets Amsoil waxed. This stuff is bomber. I use it on all of my winter driven vehicles on the entire undercarriage. A normal pressure washer will not take it off unless it is very hot.

Which Amsoil product are you using for this ? I had a number of cans of the Motorcycle Chain Lube which worked great, kind of a waxy film that seemed to stick to everything and was a corrosion inhibitor. had a bit of a smell to it so using in interior wise is a bit of an issue ...

Curious which one you used..... Thanks in advance !

This is the motorcycle chain lube. They recently changed the look of the can and it no longer says motorcycle chain lube on it. You can see it in the photo. It does take 4-5 days for the smell to go away. Good luck.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Ah I see, great.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions and document your build here, great stuff.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

How is does the tenacity/tackiness of the Amsoil stuff compare to Fluid Film? I really like the creep of fluid film for fasteners and general spray of protected locations, but it does wash out in high spray areas. The salting up here in Seattle has been atrocious, it's like our local DOT hired winter road consultants from New England or something.
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
newerwesty1987 wrote:

Ah, so it must have been a diesel to begin with. To put a diesel in gas van is a whole other world of issues. I'm familiar with swaps done on other classics and hear nothing but nightmares with some guys having to actually sell their ride to someone out of state. There's one or two vans in the classifieds with that issue right now.
greenraVR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

impressive stuff going on here Very Happy
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:
outwesty wrote:
newerwesty1987 wrote:

Ah, so it must have been a diesel to begin with. To put a diesel in gas van is a whole other world of issues. I'm familiar with swaps done on other classics and hear nothing but nightmares with some guys having to actually sell their ride to someone out of state. There's one or two vans in the classifieds with that issue right now.

No not quite. We have a couple of TDI vans that were originally gas title vans in the shop. I did my first TDI swap 9 years ago and registered it in CA when I moved here. No problem. Diesel swapping in CA is legal and not hard to do. Lets keep this thread on track though. You can PM me if you have questions.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
How is does the tenacity/tackiness of the Amsoil stuff compare to Fluid Film? I really like the creep of fluid film for fasteners and general spray of protected locations, but it does wash out in high spray areas. The salting up here in Seattle has been atrocious, it's like our local DOT hired winter road consultants from New England or something.

I've never used FF but I'd imagine its pretty similar. It is like water when first sprayed and wicks into every little area. It takes a few days to harden into wax. I lived in the sierras for 7 winters before moving here and they also spray the nasty salt brine on the road. This product did an excellent job of keeping the vans rust free underneath. One application in the fall lasted all winter.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Frank from German Transaxle saw this thread and added a special touch to the front diff without us asking. That's pretty cool for a shop to do that. Thanks Guys

outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

These need another coat yet.

I can't find one of these guide pieces that goes inside the spring on the slider door hinge. Anyone out there have a used one ? It was broken in all 3 hinges we have.

vanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

I'm loving this color. Ice-T would approve as the wheels match the body color. Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: