Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OEM Stereo Woes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Is Bluetooth high fidelity?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

http://beckerautosound.com/upgrade-radios/3126974

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

You should be able to expect equivalent fidelity to CD quality stereo performance. No multi-channel support like Dolby Digital or DTS. I use it to watch Netflix movies all the time with my camper's sound system. I tried HBO Now and their app screwed up big time. It pass DD stream to the head unit which of course just throw up its hands. Rolling Eyes

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

I wonder about the HiFi of a low bit rate xfer medium like Bluetooth...
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

Bluetooth specs has been in constant evolution. Countless features, functionality, and performance enhancements have been added since its early slow start. Do take note that technology like this always have to provide support for backward incompatibilities with legacy devices. It takes two to dance, so if one device cannot support the newer and better feature the operation will fall back on one that mutually support.

BT audio spec is very complicated. But the gist is there is a baseline mandatory CODEC that all devices must support, and many other optional CODECs with increased performance as well as implementation differences.

If your devices is relatively new - within the last few years, you should expect reasonable performance. Do note that most of these CODECs are lossy. From what I heard, Apple's Carplay has lossless audio CODEC support, though I can reasonably it is only both devices (source and sink) supports it.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
Merian wrote:

Bluetooth specs has been in constant evolution. Countless features, functionality, and performance enhancements have been added since its early slow start. Do take note that technology like this always have to provide support for backward incompatibilities with legacy devices. It takes two to dance, so if one device cannot support the newer and better feature the operation will fall back on one that mutually support.

BT audio spec is very complicated. But the gist is there is a baseline mandatory CODEC that all devices must support, and many other optional CODECs with increased performance as well as implementation differences.

If your devices is relatively new - within the last few years, you should expect reasonable performance. Do note that most of these CODECs are lossy. From what I heard, Apple's Carplay has lossless audio CODEC support, though I can reasonably it is only both devices (source and sink) supports it.

Also it's dependent on what kind of Bluetooth your device (transmit or receive) can deal with... A lot of devices on the market meant to connect to your stereo are Bluetooth mono, as they are intended for phone calls only, making sure one has a Bluetooth stereo device is imperative.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Hey there!

I too have a Heidelberg IV made in Japan by Matsushita.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

would like to install a 3.5mm Jack to listen to music, not using those inefficient fake cassettes.

I will prolly add Bluetooth too, for now just the jack.

I'm following the instructions on this site https://www.instructables.com/id/AUX-IN-and-Bluetooth-for-Every-Car-Casette-Player/

I need help identifying the integrated circuit OUTPUTS where I could solder my jack INPUT before disabling the said chip.

My stereo is older than the one in the article and is a marvel of old electronics combined with quality precision mechanics. I know nothing about electronics but I think I found 2 possible chips, not sure which one is the correct one to work with.

Wiring routing before disassembly:

Funny fact, there's a ladder switch below there to take power from the L&R output from the tape head to power the forward and rewind LEDs. When the plastic switch is pushed in on the circuit by some internal actuator, ground green has continuity with the red wire for the forward LED. Pulled out, green with blue in reverse.

I

So now I have 3 chips to choose from and I'm stuck at this stage and need help

Chip BA337, an integrated circuit, but located the furthest away from the connections of the tape head. It has 9 pins in a row.

Chip HA12047, a dip 18 integrated circuit made by Dolby. Pin 6 and pin 12 unused, not soldered. It's a noise reduction circuit, but that's Chinese to me. Located half way across that board.

Then, this chip which I think might be the correct candidate, closest from tape head connections.
8 pins in a row. I followed the red ( right) wire from the tape head connection and the series of components, it lead me to pin#2. I'm not sure what to think now, the diagram says #1...
Part number LA3161

Cassette switches. These will need to be used to simulate the use of a cassette when playing from an auxiliary source.
Red and yellow have continuity when cassette in.

The ladder switch has the plastic portion pushed in. No cassette, continuity between blue and purple. Cassette in, continuity between blue and red. No continuity on forward & rewind

Thanks for your help on the chip Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Hi Alika, I read the other article and based on that info, I bet that you want to connect to pins 3 and 6 of the la3161 chip (output side) of the amplifiers plus ground. Aloha and very nice meeting you yesterday! I appreciate you taking the time! If you are ever back Vancouver way, let me know, I'd like to repay the hospitality. Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Hi Don!

It was a great pleasure to meet you yesterday as well!
Indeed, you blew my mind with your electronics knowledge!

I also figured out my resistance problem Smile

They are all gonna be connected in series, just a parallel wire at the end of each resistance to a switch to close that particular loop of series to use it, only one switch ON at any time Smile

Aloha!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Aloha!

I ran in to another Heidelberg IV stereo the other day, but with a different part number, 161035180C instead of 155035180A

It turns out it`s the same product with 2 different part numbers. The M code option is supposed to be R92 but is R82 here.

Also, this unit was rebuilt, so the part number had a X suffix. 161035180CX
They apply a special label for these rebuilt stereos

More pictures:

The connectors are specific and you won`t find any picture searching with the part numbers, so here they are:

Black connector 191035455B for front speakers

White connector 191035455C for the rear speakers, grey is the speaker minus and is often joined into one wire to run towards the rear speakers.

Some wiring info taken from another post

wbailey2112 wrote:
I've reposted this in various places in the forum multiple times now. If you use the search functionality that's available within the forums you're likely to find the answer without asking the question.

There are many threads on this forum covering stereo wiring. Just matching colors is never the best approach to take but it is the easiest and I guess you could get lucky.

Below is the "van side" of your wiring. You will need to check the manual of the radio to confirm the "radio side" of the wiring. I personally would start over from scratch.

taken from www.Vanagonauts.com

Year(s): 1980 - 85 Vanagon stereo wiring colors
Red - Power (fuse 9)
Brown - Ground
Blue/Grey - Illumination. There are two wires, the wires are pigtailed at the radio (wire comes from behind the driver console, connects to the radio, then goes onto the illumination light for the 12v accessory/cigarette lighter)

Red/Brown - Right front speaker (+)
Brown - Right front speaker (-)
Red/Brown - Left front speaker (+)
Brown - Left front speaker (-)
Note: the wires for the left and right front speakers are bonded together similar to home stereo wiring

Blue - Left rear speaker (+)
Red - Right rear speaker (+)
Grey - Left and Right rear speaker (-)
Note: the rear speaker harness contains only 3 wires - shared left and right rear speaker (-) You'll need to run an additional ground wire for the rear speakers or use a floating ground adapter.

Year(s): 1986 - 91 Vanagon stereo wiring colors

Power leads
Constant 12V+ -------- Red/White
Switched 12V+ -------- n/a
Ground ------------------ Brown
Illumination ------------ Gray/Blue
Dimmer ----------------- n/a

Front Speakers
Left Front (+) ----------- White/Black
Left Front (-) ------------ Brown/White
Right Front (+) --------- Green/Black
Right Front (-) ---------- Brown
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) ------------ White/Black
Left Rear (-) ------------- Brown/Black
Right Rear (+) ---------- Green/Black
Right Rear (-)------------ Brown

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: