Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'66 Meyers Manx Period Build
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

From the time I can remember by Dad had VW's. Baja's, buggies and the occasional sedan where always in my driveway. I can distinctly remember bouncing around in the backseat of a Baja when I was 5, smelling the "VW aroma" of gas and exhaust fumes, and the musty horsehair seats. The ones that drew me the most were the buggies though. They reminded me of a cartoon, super functional but don't take themselves too seriously. I always wanted one.

When I was 18 I happened to run across an old buggy down a dead end alley, just sitting in someones back yard with a for sale sign on it. Obviously they were in no hurry to sell, but something told me to knock on the door and so I went. After meeting a very nice older gentleman and establishing myself to be trustworthy (my dad knew his son somehow), I drove away with a nice little Manx clone and $300 less in my pocket.

That summer was incredible, I drove that thing everywhere. Trails, street, up mountains, down mountains...places I had no business being. I even got a reckless driving ticket for "racing", although that term was used very loosely by the officer because I never exceed 40mph, but with the exhaust I had you could hear me from across town. I was hooked. I passed that buggy on to someone else at the end of the summer and bought a bus, and then a bug, and then...you know the story, 30+ VWs later I am still looking for that next project. Well here it is.

I grew up in the early 80's, so I never got to experience the thrill of buying a kit from Bruce and building your own honest to goodness Manx. I did build another clone after my first buggy, but it just wasn't the same. When I heard Bruce was releasing the New Classic Manx's this year, I knew this was going to my last (and only) chance to go back in time and have this experience. Plus my son is now 5, it is a great chance to pass this love of VWs on to him!

I am sort of a stock purest. I love history and think driving a 100% correct reproduction of a car is as close as you can get to going back in time. I knew right away that if I am going to build this thing, I am going to go back to 1968 and build it as close to the Meyers catalog as I can.

Here is where I started. I picked up a very nice donor buggy with excellent pans and running gear. I had shortened a buggy pan before and knew that it was an experience I didn't need to relive. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was debating on the color so I created a poll here and you all helped me pick the color. Top Tomato was our winner and we ordered it from Winnie. Here is is coming off the truck. New Classic Manx #54.

Last edited by calebmelvin on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Popcorn
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Awesome! Bring on the thread!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

That's going to be beautiful. The style of buggy I love. Cant wait to see it done.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

So between these two updates my Mom passed away. She was 56, healthy, but pancreatic cancer is a bitch and took her. I worked on the buggy quite a bit but forgot to take many photos. Getting the body on was easier than I expected. With the holes already in the pan it was just a matter of drilling and bolting. The roll bar took some creative thinking though. I ended up using a ratchet strap to bring in the lower ends slightly so it could slide down into the body and then mounted it up. Releasing the strap was a bit tricky but I did it.

Glassing the dash was an adventure. I used the instructions Vince had here and even drilled the holes to use the washer method. It didn't hurt that my step-dad, who used to be an airframe mechanic, helped out. Test fitted the windshield ... I think it turned out pretty nice!

Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss. It'll be a tough time for you all.
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother at such a relatively young age.🙁 I’m sure that’s very difficult for you and your family.

Enjoying your build pics and the your build process.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

My condolences regarding your mom. Mine is 88 and likely to outlive us all.

But my best friend left his home to us when he was dying of pancreatic cancer at 63 years old 4 years ago. He passed 3 weeks after diagnosis and I was with him ALL of the time after he came home from the hospital where he was diagnosed. It wasn't pretty. But I'm glad I did that for him.

Then a year and a half later at 60, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. A couple of surgeries later and I've been cancer free since (fingers crossed with an angry look on my face Evil or Very Mad ).

Good luck with this Manx build. So far so good.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the kind words. You guys are the best. Very Happy
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Well they say when it rains it pours right? Well not long after we lost my Mom we had our second child, a baby girl! Considering all of the craziness I actually got a lot done on the buggy. My wheels came in and I had them powder coated. They are widened bug smoothies, 6" front and 8" rears. I eventually want to get correct bell wheels for the rear, but that is going to take some time to source...these will do for now. The tires are MT mini-mags on the front and ATZ rears. I also test fitted the top and put on a set of NOS Racimex headlights. I am really liking the look!

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
My condolences regarding your mom. Mine is 88 and likely to outlive us all.

But my best friend left his home to us when he was dying of pancreatic cancer at 63 years old 4 years ago. He passed 3 weeks after diagnosis and I was with him ALL of the time after he came home from the hospital where he was diagnosed. It wasn't pretty. But I'm glad I did that for him.

Then a year and a half later at 60, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. A couple of surgeries later and I've been cancer free since (fingers crossed with an angry look on my face Evil or Very Mad ).

Good luck with this Manx build. So far so good.

So sorry to hear about your friend. I was there for the last couple weeks and it is such a devastating time, watching someone you love in so much pain and slipping away. Ugh. Glad to hear you are doing well though!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Congrats on your baby daughter! Your Manx is looking great mocked up.👍🏼 What size are the rear tires? I wish they’d make a larger size mini-mag that would work for the rears (non the only one wishing that I know)
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
...👍🏼 What size are the rear tires? I wish they’d make a larger size mini-mag that would work for the rears (non the only one wishing that I know)

I have to really agree with you on that!!!! Gates Tire & Rubber Co. really invented a great tread design. That it's widely considered a great design and wished for 60 years later says quite a lot.

It would certainly sell well in sizes from 215-75-15 through 33x12.50-15 for us VW guys. Probably larger even and also in larger rim diameters for other folks. I expect they would be popular for Jeeps and other 4x4s.
SoCalBajas Member
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
Congrats on your baby daughter! Your Manx is looking great mocked up.👍🏼 What size are the rear tires? I wish they’d make a larger size mini-mag that would work for the rears (non the only one wishing that I know)

Thanks Roscoe! The rears are ATZ 31"s. They are a tad bit too big for a buggy. I wish they were 30s and slightly narrower. As it stands I had to use a 1/4 or 3/8 spacer to make them work.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
...👍🏼 What size are the rear tires? I wish they’d make a larger size mini-mag that would work for the rears (non the only one wishing that I know)

I have to really agree with you on that!!!! Gates Tire & Rubber Co. really invented a great tread design. That it's widely considered a great design and wished for 60 years later says quite a lot.

It would certainly sell well in sizes from 215-75-15 through 33x12.50-15 for us VW guys. Probably larger even and also in larger rim diameters for other folks. I expect they would be popular for Jeeps and other 4x4s.

Oh man I wish someone would make a larger size tire for the rear. I am seriously considering a letter (or email) campaign to MT to suggest they make a bigger Mini Mag. And maybe one to Corker for Gates repros.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Post it up here and you just might get some co-signers.
SoCalBajas Member
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

Sign me up for some Gates Commando Repros!
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo Reply with quote

More progress! I had a nice set of German tail light housings and a '66 license light chromed (that was not cheap) and got them installed. Really made the tail pop!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: