Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Here are the photos of the finished backing plate with replaced keeper:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rivets ended up matching close enough.
I got all of the brake parts cleaned up and painted this weekend. One of the E Brake cable lever pins that holds the lever to the brake shoe was rusted. I ended up grinding the remainder of the pin head off, welding a washer to it, and grinding it down. Once again, I did not take a photo of the finished piece:

I also cleaned up the steering box/steering column and primered the pieces. I am not sure how I will match the L 471 stone beige for the shifter e brake, and steering column paint. My paint store is not able to match paint codes that old. They scanned the BGR/SWR parts to come up with a color. I will see if they can scan a steering column, and go from there.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I just googled L471 and saw WW has the paint, so it has been ordered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

That’s what I did. I ordered stone beige and silver beige for my sons bug from WW and had them match what i had sprayed on a glossy white cardboard box i had.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Navydave73 wrote:
That’s what I did. I ordered stone beige and silver beige for my sons bug from WW and had them match what i had sprayed on a glossy white cardboard box i had.

My stone beige showed up today. Hopefully I will get my parts painted this weekend. That's a good idea spraying on cardboard for a paint match. I was going to have my stone beige parts matched at the paint shop, but the clerk said the reader needs at least a 2" X 2" flat spot to read, and none of the parts are that big.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I have had this on my to do list for a while, but finally made these this morning:

I have a few more small interior spots to repair, then it will be prime time!
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I thought the steering column and brake lever on a '63 was supposed to be L466 silver beige. I hope I'm not wrong because that's the color I just painted mine last week Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
I thought the steering column and brake lever on a '63 was supposed to be L466 silver beige. I hope I'm not wrong because that's the color I just painted mine last week Confused

I just checked the paint code in the technical section Stone beige up to March 61 silver beige after until 64 🥺.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Eddie, I appreciate the correction. I just ordered the silver beige. I hope it looks as good as the stone beige. 😁
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
...Stone beige up to March 61 silver beige after until 64 🥺.

What's after '64?

Silver beige 😬
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What's after '64?

Sorry, that was me but I deleted my post after I looked it up but it musta' been right as you posted. Incredible work and dedication you do. I don't think since the Model T and A days have I seen someone rust repair a backing plate. Hows the bug that took you down?
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
BarryL wrote:
What's after '64?

Sorry, that was me but I deleted my post after I looked it up but it musta' been right as you posted. Incredible work and dedication you do. I don't think since the Model T and A days have I seen someone rust repair a backing plate. Hows the bug that took you down?

Haha, no worries and thanks. I am looking at what I’m doing now wondering why I’m spending so much time on things that will never be seen, and spending less time on things that will be Out in the open. I’ve spent all day today on seatbelt mounts, and headliner clips. Yesterday was the pop out window hinge weldment. It’s very engrossing, though. There are still spots inside that need work before I paint. I’m trying to push on. I am over my cold/flu. I usually don’t get sick. I was probably due.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Cleaned up these guys today (not the plastic washers 😉):

The eye bolts were rusted into the threaded inserts. I had to get the heat wrench out to get the pieces apart. I’m wanting to put 3 point belts up front. I need to figure it out soon since we plan to paint the inside in the next few weeks. I am trying to wrap up the welding. There are still a few things to do inside. I got these welded in today:

I finished the other one needing repair, but did not take any pictures. Another thing I’ve been putting off was the strip over the passenger door that secures the headliner. For some reason I’ve been dreading this. I started removing the strip from a donor part and realized it was going to be ridiculous getting it off in one piece. I decided to make one. It turned out pretty good:

I am hoping to wrap up the rest of the rust repair tomorrow. (Except for the doors). We’ll see what happens.
mcarls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer for Presidant again. Just awesome.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

mcarls wrote:
Burlyhammer for Presidant again. Just awesome.

Haha. I just want to make this bus great again.
kasper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Three point seat belts was one of the best thing I've ever done to my bus. Now is the perfect time for you.
I got mine from wesco performance.

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

kasper wrote:
Three point seat belts was one of the best thing I've ever done to my bus. Now is the perfect time for you.
I got mine from wesco performance.

Wow. That is exactly what I was looking for. The bus came with lap belts, but I will feel much better having three pointers, with the amount of driving we plan to do. Thanks for the heads up!
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

If you're like me and want to reuse VW parts you have laying around, front belts from a vanagon work out nicely (and look a lot like that kit above). Here's the part of my thread where I fitted mine:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7939954&highlight=belt#7939954

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
If you're like me and want to reuse VW parts you have laying around, front belts from a vanagon work out nicely (and look a lot like that kit above). Here's the part of my thread where I fitted mine:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7939954&highlight=belt#7939954

I would definitely do that if I had any parts to use. I do have a parts bay bus, but it is still in the junk yard, and it is inaccessible at the moment. I might just buy the weld in plates for now so I can wrap up the welding.
Thanks
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
wrap up the welding.

WRAP UP THE WELDING?!!!!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
wrap up the welding.

WRAP UP THE WELDING?!!!!

I know. (Other than the doors. I’ll do those as time permits after it’s on the road 😁)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 63 of 86

Jump to: