Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 362, 363, 364 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NonStopPhantasm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today I got my 71 Super running for the first time in a few months. I took the engine out of the car to replace the clutch and the push rod tubes. Since this was the first time I took the engine out of this car after I bought it there was a lot of work that needed done.
I kept running up against budget constraints and had to wait a month or two before I could order parts. Now I am dealing with a fuel pump issue. I took the both lines off the fuel pump and had gas dribbling out of the the line from the tank and I collected this in a jar. Then I cliped the line to the bowl on the carb to the vents where the engine pulls in fresh air (the hood is off right now) and filled the line with gas from a syringe. The engine ran for about a minute off the gas that was in the bowl on the carb and what was in the line.
However, the engine wouldn't run with the fuel lines connected to the fuel pump as they should be. I ordered a new fuel pump and hopefully that will get me back on the road.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

NonStopPhantasm wrote:
Today I got my 71 Super running for the first time in a few months. I took the engine out of the car to replace the clutch and the push rod tubes. Since this was the first time I took the engine out of this car after I bought it there was a lot of work that needed done.
I kept running up against budget constraints and had to wait a month or two before I could order parts. Now I am dealing with a fuel pump issue. I took the both lines off the fuel pump and had gas dribbling out of the the line from the tank and I collected this in a jar. Then I cliped the line to the bowl on the carb to the vents where the engine pulls in fresh air (the hood is off right now) and filled the line with gas from a syringe. The engine ran for about a minute off the gas that was in the bowl on the carb and what was in the line.
However, the engine wouldn't run with the fuel lines connected to the fuel pump as they should be. I ordered a new fuel pump and hopefully that will get me back on the road.
pull the gas tank, the short fuel line gets soft and can pinch or ger sucked closed by the pump.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Since I have the motor out of my '72 I'm in the process of replacing the heater cables and going to get a polished firewall.
Yesterday I cleaned out the pan and pounded out some dents under the back seat.Had to removed the rear heater tubes.
Also have to clean up the wiring mess under there and going to replace the battery cables.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Was trying to figure out the horn wiring. I was chasing the wire down the steering column and somehow bumped one of the hoses from the reservoir to the master cylinder.

I hadn't gotten around to replacing those yet, and now I have an empty reservoir and a towel soaked in brake fluid...

Has anybody found a generic replacement for the hose from a FLAPS? Since it's Sunday...
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Install the sunroof and new felt but had problems getting the clips in on the headliner piecethey just would not hold. Repositioned the rear tailight on the aftermarket fender to match the mexico fender , sorry no oog's. Installed new visors and clips . Next is thecwiring harness which I have been putting off
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Install the sunroof and new felt but had problems getting the clips in on the headliner piecethey just would not hold. Repositioned the rear tailight on the aftermarket fender to match the mexico fender , sorry no oog's. Installed new visors and clips . Next is thecwiring harness which I have been putting off
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Since I couldn't drive it, I put new covers on the rear seat and set up a new TMI speaker shelf.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Forgot the installed pic. You can see a bit of the new seat cover too.

Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Completed the engine bay. To the paint shop now.
Before:

After:

1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
1965 Moto Guzzi Lodola GT
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:
Before:

After:

I gotta ask... Why did you route the plug wires above the generator?
Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Freebirdbeachbum wrote:
Before:

After:

I gotta ask... Why did you route the plug wires above the generator?

This is my first experience with a bug so it's not something I did with a great deal of thought. Now that I look at it, I like that it's in symmetry with the plug wires going to the opposite side of the engine up and over the heater tubes so perhaps I did it subconsciously. Is it necessarily wrong?
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I don't know about wrong, but every one I've seen is routed under the heater tubes, the generator, and possibly the intake.

I would worry about them laying across the generator just from an interference perspective...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

There are plastic clips available to hold the spark wires correctly to the fan shroud (see retailers, set of three). I always use these and put the spark wires in the correct location.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

the sun was out and the day was mild, the roads had been washed and dried of salt so I went to the supermarket with the top down (1st time this year). on the way home met up with a couple of motorcycle police from fettes and for a moment it all went...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dUv5FcyNM0
see 3:15
wish I had the music going too!
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
There are plastic clips available to hold the spark wires correctly to the fan shroud (see retailers, set of three). I always use these and put the spark wires in the correct location.

I'd been looking for them and emailed air cooled this morning ... then I looked again for "spark wire holder" and got this, finally ... I think its what you want.
I think there are 3 holes for them ...
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Spark-Plug-Wire-Holde...m?CartID=1

Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:
Cusser wrote:

I'd been looking for them and emailed air cooled this morning ... then I looked again for "spark wire holder" and got this, finally ... I think its what you want.
I think there are 3 holes for them ...
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Spark-Plug-Wire-Holde...m?CartID=1

Now I see the holes. The middle one behind the carb actually still has the holder.
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I had a squeak in the front end of my 1971 VW Super Beetle Convertible, noticed it when I was installing that replacement electric windshield washer pump and I leaned down on the front bumper.

I jacked up the front end, put on jack stands. The only thing I actually disconnected was the two front sway bar bushings (two 8 x 1.25 hex screws and a U-shaped retainer for each. I used aerosol silicone spray and/or aerosol grease on the insides and outsides of those, and lubed the other stuff in place like bottom mounts of MacPhersons, outer tie rod end fittings, rear mounts for sway bars, and the bushings of the two control arms; was too lazy to keep taking off jack stands to figure out "exactly" might be the culprit, because I didn't care which was squeaking, just wanted squeak gone...

Result: NO MORE SQUEAK AT ALL, Yay !!! So successful morning eliminating the squeak.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cliffrun2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today I found a leaky fuel pump and fractured flange, so I spent the day researching and ordering replacement parts. Also decided its good time to upgrade the fuel line, adding a cut-off valve up front beneath the fuel tank, new hoses, and a new filter.
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I had a squeak in the front end of my 1971 VW Super Beetle Convertible, noticed it when I was installing that replacement electric windshield washer pump and I leaned down on the front bumper.

I jacked up the front end, put on jack stands. The only thing I actually disconnected was the two front sway bar bushings (two 8 x 1.25 hex screws and a U-shaped retainer for each. I used aerosol silicone spray and/or aerosol grease on the insides and outsides of those, and lubed the other stuff in place like bottom mounts of MacPhersons, outer tie rod end fittings, rear mounts for sway bars, and the bushings of the two control arms; was too lazy to keep taking off jack stands to figure out "exactly" might be the culprit, because I didn't care which was squeaking, just wanted squeak gone...

Result: NO MORE SQUEAK AT ALL, Yay !!! So successful morning eliminating the squeak.

I had a bad annoying squeak on the passenger side elf my car. Opened the door, and let my wife out....No more squeak. Winning...
seiyaTokyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I ate VW beetle chocolates in a Beetle tool box.

Link

Valentine’s Day in Japan is different than in the West.
Rather than couples exchanging cards or gifts, only women give gifts on Valentine's Day in Japan
My wife gave me VW beetle chocolates!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 362, 363, 364 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 363 of 449

Jump to: