Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

aftermarket or universal chrome bumper options??
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mannydantyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: aftermarket or universal chrome bumper options?? Reply with quote

A set of nice new bumpers would throw me back at least a grand, before shipping, it seems (if I'm wrong then please let me know!)

It would be less than ideal but a universal blade bumper would probably look better than my twisted, rusted, dented, mangled bumpers. I have a set of bumpers from a Super Beetle laying around and I held them up, the front bumper's arch matched the front of my '67 Squareback close enough I would say. But the Super Beetle's rear bumper was much too curved for the Squareback, even the front bumper was too curved (there's a joke in there somewhere about *square* backs...)

Anybody know of some bumpers that could work for our cars? Either universal or made for a much more common vehicle (like, chrome Beetle bumpers are half the price of T-3 bumpers!)

Does anybody know what kind of bumper this is or where one like it might be found?? (and check out those fender flares!)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket or universal chrome bumper options?? Reply with quote

I wonder if he'll ship them to ya?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/d/costa-mesa-vw-bumpers-bug-type-3/6810560808.html

or how about this one?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/d/vw-squareback-rear-bumper-oem/6804195044.html

Nothing will look as cool as Original!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket or universal chrome bumper options?? Reply with quote

Man! I'm jealous the parts hunting you have down in LA! Shocked

FWIW, those aluminum ribbed bumpers were called Briz Bumpers,
And were the hot ticket in the late 80s.
You still might see them around, and get a deal, as they have fallen out of fashion.

I got a set of bumpers re-chromed at ISP for a bit less than a grand.
They were decent before re-work, but kinda bent and scratched.
Pics in my build thread if you are interested..

There's also those PT bumpers,
do some searching on those,
Especially if you can't find cores.

What’s That Noise?!?
mannydantyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket or universal chrome bumper options?? Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

I just emailed Briz and they got back to me and said it's $235 each for the polished aluminum 3-rib bumpers and they will make em fit the vehicle for that price, they already have templates for the Type3. Not including brackets, will have to fabricate your own (not a problem).

I like it! They're in the Portland OR area and coincidentally I'm moving there in a few months so I'll just pic them up, no shipping Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket or universal chrome bumper options?? Reply with quote

Personally, I'd go with original. Yeah, you're spending some cheddar, but you're also putting some money back into the value of the car. I see bumpers like that and go..."What else did they skimp out on?" Decent used bumpers pop-up, and most bumpers that I've seen can be restored. If you look for originals, don't worry about dents or twists. Those can be fixed. Stay away from tears, and rust as those are harder to fix. In all my years of sending out bumper cores, I've only seen about 5 come back as unable to be re-chromed.

Just my .02. I can donate the .02 to your bumpers if you'd like. Very Happy

If you do find good cores, it's about $250 per blade and $65 per guard to have re-chromed through ISP. If you decide to go that route, feel free to email me and I'll get you sorted out.

- [email protected]

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: