Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water in Cylinder
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Water in Cylinder Reply with quote

I pressure washed my engine...

I then decided to rebuild my carbs (dual kads). I pulled my intake manifolds, it's a single port engine, while I was removing the intake manifold gaskets I noticed water in the heads.

Not much water, I was able to wipe it out with a shop rag, but I'm a little concerned water water .may have gotten in one if the cylinders. Should I pull the engine, exhaust, and heads? Or should I rebuild the carbs and start it up
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in Cylinder Reply with quote

If it's just been a few days start it up.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in Cylinder Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
If it's just been a few days start it up.

I ended up pulling the engine...I have a leak, I'm suspecting it is the input shaft seal.

I pulled the heads on 3 and 4 side and there wasn't any water...hopefully it isn't in the crankcase lol

I'll drive myself nuts to the point i split the case jk lol
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in Cylinder Reply with quote

Drain the oil and you will know.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in Cylinder Reply with quote

A lesson learned, & the 2nd worst thing you could do here is to ignore that water.
Whether or not there is a next time - just pull the plugs, roll it over a few revolutions, then spray a dose of Silikroil thru plug holes into each chamber & repeat rollover.
Change oil, install plugs, light the fires & then be sure to warm it up REAL good.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Water in Cylinder Reply with quote

I'm gonna guess that you probably hit the carbs with the pressure washer.. causing water to run down the intake and into the head past whatever valves were open..

pull the plugs, crank it over with the starter a couple of times, reinstall plugs and it should be fine..

I hydro locked mine last year because we had torrential rains one weekend and without the rain tray installed on my decklid, my dual weber IDFs sucked up enough water through the filters to drain down the intakes.. Pulling the plugs, I watched about half a cup of water shoot out of the #1 cylinder and probably a 1/4 cup shoot out of #3..

Now I run a rain tray and haven't had any issues with water..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in Cylinder Reply with quote

did you remove the rockers when you pressure washed?

Also, did you remove the oil cooler when you pressure washed?

Guys, if you are going to pressure wash the engine and it is not apart, seal all the areas where water can get in. If you remove the oil tower, have a plate torqued down in it place before applying water to the case. Remove the rockers so all the valves are closed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: