Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

Alright, I read my plugs after about 1500 miles. And cylinder 3 is lean and cylinder 4 is rich (see picture, it's not too crazy off, but enough I want to try to correct it.). That's not a big problem, but wait, are you ready for the likely stupid question? What's the cause? Is it just my idle adjustment isn't right? Or is it a more serious issue?

Engine: 1776cc 9.25 :1 comp angle 110, Italian Weber 40 idfs, massaged (3angle lap job) stock heads, compression is good and even on all cylinders.

#4 Is on the far left, then 3, then 2, and #1 is on the far right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

It's really hard to tell from the picture although number three kind of looks okay but really need a shot of looking down the inside of the spark plug, for the most part if it runs good you may just have a jetting issue or an adjustment issue, and a lot of times what you will find is that whatever the jet is stamped with that is not actually the size of the hole as they have been altered.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

Try adjusting your idle mixture, normal driving your running on the idle jets. Hard to see much of anything with that quality photo. How many miles are on the motor?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

Motor milage: 3k
Jets: new from aircooled.net with carbs 1500 miles ago.

Vanilla: I'm kinda thinking the same thing. And the last 30 miles were definitely on the idle circuit because my fan was rubbing so I kept rpm down as much as possible. Around 2k mostly.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

Gabe , your worrying over nothing Laughing why'd u pull them ? just to check ?or was it 'Missing'?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

looks like the electrode is missing from the 1st plug.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
looks like the electrode is missing from the 1st plug.

It does look that way. I'm pretty sure it wasn't and that is just the poor picture quality, but I'll pull it back out and verify. If so, that's likely the reason is was running rich. Or at least showing rich.

Mike: I pulled them because I have the motor out to fix my pouring oil leak, and it was easy to check them quick. I hadn't touched them since installing the new carbs. It's running great (though my carb linkage sucks, that's something else though. And they came with my second hand carbs.), John got the jets right first try I think. Especially with seeing cyl 1 and 2. Great power, smooth transitions even though I'm running a 009 dizzy instead of my 034 currently. I'm really appreciative of that. Thanks John.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

Haha, if my sons Rally car wasn't taking up the shop I'd be fixin my oil leak too Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

Did you discover where the oil leak is coming from?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Did you discover where the oil leak is coming from?

I think it was my oil cooler mount seals, but I'm not 100% sure. I still need to test run the engine before I'm convinced.

Mike: when are you ever going to get your garage back? Lol

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

April or May Laughing
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading - 3 and 4 are opposite Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
April or May Laughing

Lol sounds like when I'll get my motor back in and going.

As for the cyl 4 spark plug that appears to no longer have an electrode, it is there just the same color as the rest of the plug so doesn't show up with my crappy camera.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: