Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Byron's '63 Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:

I didn't know 63 had one year only stuff on it. Is there a list? I really don't want to keep ordering the wrong parts--shipping them back and waiting for the new parts to arrive really slows everything down.

You can access the original VW dealer parts list here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Use the "Full Index" in those parts manuals. Lots easier to find what you want.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Gwdghiaguy wrote:

Is this the measurement I should have taken? I'm not sure about taking the clutch apart. the Bentley book talks about lots of special tools i don't have....

The clutch plate and the clutch pressure plate should fall apart. Guessing those two parts are somewhat rusted together. Try popping them apart by rapping on the clutch disc through the PP opening. Use a hammer and a chunk of wood to reach thru there. If you just leave them together as is, you are going to have clutch problem till you can get them apart.

I didn't realize they came apart!

Such good information from you guys. I appreciate all you have shared with thesamba over the years byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

I done told ya's a few posts back to try the citrus strip, or hell, try the multi-strip "western auto" suggested. Aircraft stripper don't mess around.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
I done told ya's a few posts back to try the citrus strip, or hell, try the multi-strip "western auto" suggested. Aircraft stripper don't mess around.

and i will try it; i just hate not working with what i have and i'm a little hard headed too. i appreciate the wisdom culito and western auto!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now. do i clean these surfaces with brake cleaner and 0000 steel wool and be done with it or do i need to scuff these up with 220 sand paper after i clean them? should they be clean and shiny or clean and rough. and is this disc asbestos?

not too much rust; just surface stuff; it only took a light tap to get them apart. thanks again eric and barb.
1971 Baywindow Bus

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Does not need to be cleaned up. First time you shift and use the clutch the disc will sand off most of the rust off the PP.

At most would use the corner edge of a sharp larger drill to scratch by hand the PP and FW surfaces in a "W" pattern across on each, so they are not so perfectly smooth. If you get a slight amount of oil on those two parts surfaces the clutch disc can suction cup to one or the other and you will not be able to shift till it pops apart.

You will need either one of the inexpensive plastic pilot tools (shown on far right) or a chunk of an old input shaft so as to align clutch disc to the needle bearings in the FW and the center of the PP. Without alignment you can not get the engine back in.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Inspect the needle bearings in the FW to make sure they look good and add a small dab of grease into those or at least very lightly grease the input shaft tip where it rides inside the needle bearings. Not too much grease or risk slinging it out and all over the clutch parts.
Repeat greasing the needle bearings about every 30,000 or so miles when you happen to have out the engine.

Also:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589184&highlight=throw+out+bearing+greasing
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Spent all Saturday in what my wife calls the play pen. So i opened my book and started work on a clutch pedal that was frozen:

I have to post this because it took all morning to get this pedal free:

Link

This made me so happy! And a three foot pry bar is very helpful when trying to get the pedal arm shaft out of the bushings. In fact, it was necessary:

One step is to remove the horn. Decided to put 6v to it just for fun. nothing.

So then I put the fuel tank back. It has a new send unit. I don't know if I mentioned that the inside of this tank was spotless. So lucky with that because I spent untold hours cleaning the tank on my baywindow.

And I spent the rest of the day removing paint:

And I primed and painted the spots where I was too aggressive. Used Krylon Matte River Rock and it blends very well.

Its amazing the things you discover about your bus when you spend hours on it like this. Bondo, a dent I didn't know about, etc. You really get to know these things when you put the time in. thanks for looking in. byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

thirtyseven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Nice job on revealing that OG light grey, and of course every step you made in between. The bus will look amazing !
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

So I'm getting close to putting the engine compartment back together and I pulled out my bags of stuff and got my voltage regulator out and found a condenser in there with it. What? So went through my disassembly pictures and found one:

can someone tell me what is going on here? I have a condenser in my distributor. Why this one too?

Here's what I pulled out of the bag; I took this off the bus and cleaned it up last year sometime:

I'm not finding that much detail in my Bentley book electrical schematic. I know just enough about electricity to be dangerous so I appreciate any comments about why this is so. thanks byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

It's from the past when AM radio and some FM radio picked up static through the antenna. That can be eliminated if you have a modern radio or if you get a rev hum or static put it on. There is a radio installation manual with photos somewhere on this site. Maybe someone can find it. It was talked about not too long ago when a guy was making a new wiring diagram.
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

There is a description in the technical bulletin E5 also hosted on this site. As already suggested, it is to suppress the noise/interference on radios.

Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Paint removal takes forever. I had to take the emblem off anyway so I couldn't resist putting it under the wire wheel, then rattle can primer and some dove white rustoleum. Stuck it back on just for kicks:

took the lights off to clean up all the wire ends and grounds. I traced so many faults in my 57 bug to dirty, rusty contacts. It really pays to clean everything up.

this weekend will be new accelerator cable, front shift rod bushing and bleed the brakes. small steps. byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Warded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Just stumbled upon your post looking for info on ‘63-specific 1500 bus tin, and I find your bus is just 1,000 buses older than mine, probably on assembly line or in line to be loaded on to a ship and destined for USA! Cool, huh?! I can’t tell in your M-code info but it doesn’t look like yours had the 1500 m216 option, huh? With small but big brake 1-ton trans? If I’m wrong and it does , do you mind sending me some sort of link to photos of the engine and it’s tin? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Link

So what did it take to get to this point? Got the motor in no problem. Filled it with oil--no leaks! New battery connected and the 2 idiot lights up front light right up. Connected my remote starter, pulled the trigger and got an ominous click from the solenoid. Jumped the two terminals on the solenoid and it spins like it should. Jumped the hot terminal to the starter wire and the engine turns over. Yes! Did that a couple more times and the solenoid decides to come out of it's 35 year slumber. Got the engine turning over and feed fuel down the carb (no fuel in the tank yet) but it won't catch. Pulled a plug and no fire to the plug. So i spend most of yesterday evening trouble shooting. Took the distributor out and checked everything there-regapped the points (new points and condenser) reinstalled. Wiggled the positive battery cable and it just fell out of the terminal. So i went and bought a new one since the old one was full of crap and now I have spark! But 6 volts doesn't seem to give enough umph to get it started so I jumped it with my 12 volt tractor battery. I am a happy camper. Felt like Tom Hanks in Castaway when he made fire: Look what I have created! I'll put fuel in the tank tomorrow and see if it will actually move and stop. Fingers crossed. Byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

One step forward, two steps back.

Put a gallon of fuel in the tank and gas started pouring out of every possible orifice. The worst one was the fuel pump. It was pouring out the top edge. Took that apart and found that the strainer is very brittle and wasn't sealing properly. Do rebuild kits include this? ARE there rebuild kits? And if there aren't, can I use something like this (from Amazon):

Quote:
Permatex PermaShield Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing and Sealant is a polyester urethane sealant with strong resistance to gasoline and all other automotive fluids, making it excellent for a variety of applications, including oil pans, axle assemblies and fuel injectors.

And the point where the fuel line attaches to the tank was leaking. The shine on the fuel line is gas:

So i dropped the engine so I could get the tank out. Don't ever install a tank that hasn't been checked for leaks! I'm sure many of you are nodding and laughing at me now.

Took the fitting apart and cleaned it (again) then attached a line and added fuel to the tank and let sit for a couple of hours. No leak now:

So now I either find a fuel pump rebuild kit with the strainer or get the $25 fuel pump or go to the classifieds looking for an old pump or try to create a gasket myself. Ideas? More later. byron

edit:

went back through my records and found that i did get the WW rebuild kit last fall--it did not include the strainer.
1971 Baywindow Bus

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

No, and no.

Just find some fuel proof paper gasket material at your FLAPS. Use the lid/top of the pump as a template and then cut out the inner diameter so it is not smaller than the inner edge of the outer part of the filter screen.

Personally found a black paper gasket that was good for both exhaust and fuel. Has worked well over many years.

Also give the lid/top a light sanding. Use a very flat surface to put the sandpaper face side up on. A used VW wing window works well.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
No, and no.

Just find some fuel proof paper gasket material at your FLAPS. Use the lid/top of the pump as a template and then cut out the inner diameter so it is not smaller than the inner edge of the outer part of the filter screen.

Personally found a black paper gasket that was good for both exhaust and fuel. Has worked well over many years.

Also give the lid/top a light sanding. Use a very flat surface to put the sandpaper face side up on. A used VW wing window works well.

I KNEW I could depend on you guys! B
1971 Baywindow Bus

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
One step forward, two steps back.

Put a gallon of fuel in the tank and gas started pouring out of every possible orifice. The worst one was the fuel pump. It was pouring out the top edge. Took that apart and found that the strainer is very brittle and wasn't sealing properly. Do rebuild kits include this? ARE there rebuild kits? And if there aren't, can I use something like this (from Amazon):

Quote:
Permatex PermaShield Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing and Sealant is a polyester urethane sealant with strong resistance to gasoline and all other automotive fluids, making it excellent for a variety of applications, including oil pans, axle assemblies and fuel injectors.

So now I either find a fuel pump rebuild kit with the strainer or get the $25 fuel pump or go to the classifieds looking for an old pump or try to create a gasket myself. Ideas? More later. byron

edit:

went back through my records and found that i did get the WW rebuild kit last fall--it did not include the strainer.

There's a little round gasket that goes on top of the strainer, do you have that?

If you need the strainer too, I'd buy this kit
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1010390
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Thank you, Everett! Didn't have the gasket and there's a small gasket that goes under the screw also. Didn't have either one. Ordered the whole kit! This has to be better than some cheap replacement pump. Byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Oh yeah, it will leak BAD without those 2 gaskets.
I've had it leak like crazy even with old bad gaskets, either one
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: